Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Andrew555

Post by bugboy »

Great recent set of shots Andrew, pick of the bunch for me is that Duke perched on the Daisies :)

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Bugboy. :)

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

White Hill is a Butterfly Conservation site fairly near to me on the east side of the Darent Valley at Shoreham, Kent.
Chalk downland in nature, it's one of those handy local places that you can just pop to for an hour or two.
Easy parking in a lay-by off the main road through the valley, a short walk up a footpath and your there, here's a selection of what I've seen.

The main path running through the reserve.
1_P1000946.JPG
2_P1190394.JPG
I've seen 17 species at this site, including Large White, Speckled Wood, Common Blue and Brown Argus.
3_P1000821.jpg
Male and female Common Blue.
4_P1000980.jpg
5_P1000923.jpg
Brimstones on Knapweed, lots of both to be seen.
10_P1110921.jpg
Despite this a decent open wing shot still eludes me.
11_P1110928.jpg
13_P1120412.jpg
There is a Chalkhill Blue colony in residence, male and female here.
29_P1010052.jpg
30_P1120573.jpg
31_P1120191.jpg
32_P1120177.jpg
35_P1120329.jpg
It's also a great place if you like your moths, any id corrections welcome btw!
Clockwise from top left, Burnet Companion, Small Purple-barred, Anania crocealis (maybe) and Treble-bar.
49_P1040015.jpg
Small Purple and Gold (Mint Moth).
50_P1120559.jpg
One of the Longhorns, Nemophora metallica.
51_P1120310.jpg
A Silver-y.
52_P1130993.jpg
The view across the valley.
60_P1140624.jpg

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great photos Andrew.
All with the FZ1000 ?
Can't wait till next Spring.
Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Andrew especially the Chalkhill pairing - brill!! :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You've also featured by favourite named moth Nemophora METALLICA :twisted: :D .

Have a goodun

Wurzel

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Nice shots Andrew, I would love to have a site that like that locally

Phil

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Chris, thanks and yes all FZ1000 shots.
Looking foward to seeing some of yours next year. :)

:lol: Wurzel, that's the first thing I thought of when I looked up the name of that moth!
Thanks m8. :D

Thanks a lot Phil, yes it is great to have somewhere close that you don't need to put aside a whole day to see.

Cheers

David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous stuff, Andrew. Shame about the near miss with the Brimstone in flight as the image is pretty sharp. I love those Chalkhills too.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot David, one day! :)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Here are some pics from Portland in Dorset. The combination of sea, the scenery and abundance of butterflies make it a fantastic place to visit.

From the north of the Isle, in fields and along pathways around the Admiralty Quarries.
Chalkhill Blue, Gatekeeper, Green-veined White and Meadow Brown.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Red Admirals on the larger plants.
4.jpg
5.jpg
At Tout Quarry and the nearby coastal paths Graylings can be found.
6.jpg
7.jpg
I've seen Silver-studded Blue there as well.
8.jpg
Lots of Knapweed on Portland, much visited.
60.JPG
Marbled White, Large Skipper, Lulworth Skipper and Large White.
9.JPG
10.jpg
11.jpg
Incoming!
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
This pale Knapweed stood out from all the purple.
20.jpg
Kestrels are a common sight along the west coastal path. I got lucky when this one drifted close to me.
25.jpg
You can sometimes get a view level with or above them, as they hunt the slopes below.
30.jpg
Along the coast path near Weston there is an area dominated by these yellow flowered plants.
Not sure what they are, a variety of Hawkweed maybe ? They seem to be favoured by Whites, Small here.
35.jpg
40.jpg
Some other wildlife, Oystercatcher at Portland Bill, Common Lizard at Church Ope Cove.
45.jpg
50.jpg
Scarlet Tiger Moth.
55.jpg
I've got more, but I'll leave them for another time! :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward very much to 'another time' Andrew, a fantastic taster of what Dorset has to offer, so much so I'm feeling slightly homesick now :cry: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Your local area seems to have a lot going for it, Andrew.

Makes mine seem comparatively bereft in comparison (except for Marsh, Small Pearl Bordered and High Brown Fritillaries).

Yours is a practically unique stretch of coastline, and the rewards on offer are hard to beat anywhere in the UK from a wildlife perspective.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Wurzel :) .
(and sorry! :( :D )

Not strictly speaking my local area David. Although it kind of feels like it since I have family there and visit as often as I can. :)
It is wonderful.

Cheers

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

A couple from my festive break in Dorset.

We were treated to Starling murmuration over Weymouth, an amazing sight.
And a Kestrel hunting on Portland, on one of the very few sunny days!

1.jpg
2.jpg
Cheers

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Andrew :D I've enjoyed staring at the Starling murmuration to see what beautiful shapes pop into view - so far I've seen a slightly deformed Snowy Owl and a turtle swimming towards me - though my imagination was working overtime making that one out :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

That's a magnificent shot of the kestrel, Andrew. You can see the intent in its eye.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel :) The best my dull brain could manage was 'amorphous blob' :?

Hi David and thanks :) I got lucky again. It was, as you say, intent on some potential prey quite close to me.
It hung there in the air for a good 20 - 30 seconds before deciding it was nothing, and swooping off.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Andrew, Dorset is one of my favourite counties to visit, I love your shots of the Butterflies and that shot of the Flying Kestrel is fantastic, we hope to visit there all being well this year. Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks a lot Goldie. Hope you make it. :)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Attempting to finish off 2017 before the new season begins.

April 2017

I saw my first butterfly in March, but didn't get a pic until early April, a Small Tortoiseshell at Penshurst in Kent.
1.jpg
Norbury Park in Surrey provided my next sightings, a female Orange-tip, Speckled Wood and Brimestone.
2.jpg
3.jpg
Down the paths and rides of Batt's Wood near Mayfield in East Sussex I found Speckled Wood, Small Copper and below, Green Veined White and Comma.
4.jpg
The Darent Valley didn't let me down, with visits to White Hill, Fackenden Down and Lullingstone Park all contributing.

Holly Blue, Dingy Skipper and Small Copper.
5.jpg
Green Carpet Moth and Green Hairstreak.
6.jpg
7.jpg
On a rather grey day this Grizzled Skipper stayed put on a Dandelion for quite some time, with wings folded.
Only opening them slowly when a brief patch of brightness passed over.
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
Not a bad April at all. :)

Cheers

Return to “Personal Diaries”