Art Frames

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Art Frames

Re: Art Frames

Postby Art Frames » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks Wurzel. I was just grateful to see one at all in the UK. I don't see them most years.

Actually the topside was quite faded and so the underside was favourite.

regards
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr

Art Frames

Postby Art Frames » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 pm

As well as the fading colours... one of the problems with the topside shots was trying to get sufficient depth of field to cover the wings. So I had a play and this is the result of stacking nine images together. It is a bit unreal, and has a couple of problem areas but I thought it was worth adding in..especially as it took time to try it out :lol:

Small Copper (stacked)

This is normal vision for birds of prey of course... :shock:
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:35 pm

That is an incredibly detailed image Peter well worth the effort. I can only admire it as I know that I don't have the nouse to do something similar, I wouldn't know where to begin :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Art Frames

Postby Art Frames » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 am

Wurzel wrote:That is an incredibly detailed image Peter well worth the effort. I can only admire it as I know that I don't have the nouse to do something similar, I wouldn't know where to begin :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

And you think I do :lol: Well, the camera and software do the work. If you let Panasonic do it on its own you get some funny artefacts (like a few extra antennae). But if you do it in Photoshop then it is better.

But do you like it? I am not sure.... It might lose the softness of a butterfly and replace it with something brittle and sharp. :?
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:30 am

I think a mixture of both types of image would be the best bet :D . As for me I do like the more 'gritty, harder almost more real' appearance. It reminds me that they're not just having a nice time flitting about in the sun but that they're struggling to survive :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ps I was starting to get a bit philosophical there :oops:

millerd

Postby millerd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:44 am

I've been catching up with your photos, Peter - there are some beautiful ones there. I particularly like the Clouded Yellow on the Cosmo. :)

I would love to get images as clear as yours are (and obviously as well as the right kit a bit of expertise and patience is involved!). I'm just imagining how stunning that Small Copper would look if it had been a fresh individual.

Dave

Art Frames

Postby Art Frames » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:25 am

millerd wrote:I've been catching up with your photos, Peter - there are some beautiful ones there. I particularly like the Clouded Yellow on the Cosmo. :)

I would love to get images as clear as yours are (and obviously as well as the right kit a bit of expertise and patience is involved!). I'm just imagining how stunning that Small Copper would look if it had been a fresh individual.

Dave

Hi Dave

That is very kind of you. Yes the Clouded Yellow is a favourite of mine, especially as it brings back memories of a lovely place to stay, two very kind French people and their special garden.

I do work at my images and get just as frustrated as everyone else with my failings. But I have built up some kit which I believe works and the rest is just down to composition and editing. I am happy to share anything if you think it would help.

I did see some lovely Coppers in Europe ...but that is as good as it gets in wet and windy Northants in September :lol:

Peter
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr

David M

Postby David M » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Those images, once again, are a delight to behold, Peter. Amongst the butterflies I particularly like the Comma underside, but it's the dragonfly image that stands out. The colours are so vivid.

Art Frames

Postby Art Frames » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 am

David M wrote:Those images, once again, are a delight to behold, Peter. Amongst the butterflies I particularly like the Comma underside, but it's the dragonfly image that stands out. The colours are so vivid.

It was an unusually bright dragonfly which didn't need much work at the computer end. I think as much as anything it was the light which was bright enough but very flat with haze or cloud cover. That made the butterflies more colourful too.

So I will try and get out on more indifferent days too. I usually try to get sunshine. :D
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr

Return to “Personal Diaries”