Art Frames

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Art Frames

Re: Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Thanks Wurzel. I was just grateful to see one at all in the UK. I don't see them most years.

Actually the topside was quite faded and so the underside was favourite.

regards

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

As well as the fading colours... one of the problems with the topside shots was trying to get sufficient depth of field to cover the wings. So I had a play and this is the result of stacking nine images together. It is a bit unreal, and has a couple of problem areas but I thought it was worth adding in..especially as it took time to try it out :lol:

Small Copper (stacked)

This is normal vision for birds of prey of course... :shock:

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is an incredibly detailed image Peter well worth the effort. I can only admire it as I know that I don't have the nouse to do something similar, I wouldn't know where to begin :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Wurzel wrote:That is an incredibly detailed image Peter well worth the effort. I can only admire it as I know that I don't have the nouse to do something similar, I wouldn't know where to begin :shock: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
And you think I do :lol: Well, the camera and software do the work. If you let Panasonic do it on its own you get some funny artefacts (like a few extra antennae). But if you do it in Photoshop then it is better.

But do you like it? I am not sure.... It might lose the softness of a butterfly and replace it with something brittle and sharp. :?

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I think a mixture of both types of image would be the best bet :D . As for me I do like the more 'gritty, harder almost more real' appearance. It reminds me that they're not just having a nice time flitting about in the sun but that they're struggling to survive :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

ps I was starting to get a bit philosophical there :oops:

millerd

Post by millerd »

I've been catching up with your photos, Peter - there are some beautiful ones there. I particularly like the Clouded Yellow on the Cosmo. :)

I would love to get images as clear as yours are (and obviously as well as the right kit a bit of expertise and patience is involved!). I'm just imagining how stunning that Small Copper would look if it had been a fresh individual.

Dave

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

millerd wrote:I've been catching up with your photos, Peter - there are some beautiful ones there. I particularly like the Clouded Yellow on the Cosmo. :)

I would love to get images as clear as yours are (and obviously as well as the right kit a bit of expertise and patience is involved!). I'm just imagining how stunning that Small Copper would look if it had been a fresh individual.

Dave
Hi Dave

That is very kind of you. Yes the Clouded Yellow is a favourite of mine, especially as it brings back memories of a lovely place to stay, two very kind French people and their special garden.

I do work at my images and get just as frustrated as everyone else with my failings. But I have built up some kit which I believe works and the rest is just down to composition and editing. I am happy to share anything if you think it would help.

I did see some lovely Coppers in Europe ...but that is as good as it gets in wet and windy Northants in September :lol:

Peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
David M

Post by David M »

Those images, once again, are a delight to behold, Peter. Amongst the butterflies I particularly like the Comma underside, but it's the dragonfly image that stands out. The colours are so vivid.

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

David M wrote:Those images, once again, are a delight to behold, Peter. Amongst the butterflies I particularly like the Comma underside, but it's the dragonfly image that stands out. The colours are so vivid.

It was an unusually bright dragonfly which didn't need much work at the computer end. I think as much as anything it was the light which was bright enough but very flat with haze or cloud cover. That made the butterflies more colourful too.

So I will try and get out on more indifferent days too. I usually try to get sunshine. :D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

I thought I'd add to the euphoria for the start of the season, after some decent weather and nature running fast to catch up.

So far I have had a few days out and been happy amongst Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, Commas, Brimstones, Orange Tips, and some various whites. I saw a Holly Blue in the garden (which would not stop) but have taken a number of pleasing pictures of those that did. But as you were all posting nice pictures of these already I felt I had nothing much to add.

But today I saw something which immediately took me back 50 years and filled me with so much joy I wanted to post the picture here.

Last year a friend introduced me to Bucknell Wood near Silverstone (where they drive round in a circle for hours burning petrol and rubber) and I posted pictures of my several visits. I fully intend to visit all though the year as it is a wonderful place.

Today I went to visit, mainly to see if I could find more Orange Tips than I had at Salcey Forest (just 2). I saw my first in an area that was well appointed with Cuckoo Flower plants but it was not in an area I could easily get to. It was early and a little chilly. I had good hopes that when the air had warmed a little then there would be some action.

The reason I couldn't reach the orange tip was a drainage ditch which was a challenging obstacle with some water and mud if I got it wrong. So I walked alongside it trying to find a way across. Nothing doing. I kept walking.

After a couple of hundred yards at a spot where the sun kissed the water I saw that the ditch was alive with newts. I could not estimate how many hundreds of newts there were (I took a number of pictures, some with four newts in each shot) and with the amount of mating and egg-laying that was going on then it will be worth a visit to see the progeny and check out their progress.

But it was the sheer numbers which I haven't seen for such a long time. In most ponds I see just a few nowadays. This took me back to being ten years old and dabbling in ponds with a bucket and net on my own for hours. However many I caught you could not reduce the numbers all around you. And I think the newts enjoyed the short holiday in the bucket too :roll: Thank goodness we didn't have a television or electronic ways to waste time.... :D

This was the nicest shot of a male smooth newt in a relatively shallow bit, some of the others are less photogenic but if I find that there are other newt fanciers then I'll add a few more. :)

And to restore a bit of balance here is one of the Orange Tips from later on when the air was a bit warmer.

...and a Bee Fly - another favourite target for me for this time of year

...and a Small Tortoiseshell from earlier in the week...

But it was the hour I spent watching the newts mating and laying that will be my memory of this week,

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

A couple of years ago I had exactly the same experience as you. A small pond full of newts. It comes as a surprise as its not something that is commonly seen nowadays - not by me at least. I think yours is a very fine picture of a newt. He was very obliging to come out like that for you.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Ernie F
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Thank you Ernie for your own newt story. Perhaps they are coming back in numbers? Would be good if they do. I have always fancied a pond in the garden, but I'd only want newts (well maybe frogs and toads too) and dragonflies. But no goldfish... :wink: If I find numbers are on the increase I'll draw up some plans.

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Tortoiseshell Art, very clear :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to hear from you, Peter.

Enjoying your great images, especially the Orange Tip.
I am waiting for some slightly more inclement weather, ie, some cloud with the Sun.
Then at least the patrolling males will pause more often.

Been to Tesco's lately ? :lol: .

Be good,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic OT Peter :D :mrgreen: Your nostalgic story brought back some of my own long forgotten memories :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Thank you Wurzel, Goldie and Trevor, I am pleased you liked them.

I went out again in the lower temperature and saw this fine male Orange Tip. I was so enthusiastic I forget to check my settings and took these at F13 which is great for depth of focus on a bright day but the ISO went up more than I'd usually select. So tomorrow I will try again with lower ISO (and less noise to deal with). But as Trevor suggested the passing clouds caused my quarry to close up and I managed these lovely undersides.

Trevor, I'm not quite sure about Tescos as I don't shop there but seem to recall you are a fan (???) something about a sexual encounter in the fish aisle when you were younger if I recall rightly? :roll: :oops:

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely mossy (and furry) undersides, Peter. A bit of cloud is ideal for getting those sort of OT shots. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the OT's Peter :D :mrgreen: Whilst a little cloud is useful round our way we seem to be having either blazing sun or thick dense cloud :roll: Nice to see the OTs behaving for someone :wink: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Art Frames wrote: I was so enthusiastic I forget to check my settings... :
Oh I've lost count of the number of times I've done that, watched the butterfly fly off with a smile on my face and then looked in despair at the images I've taken :roll: :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the shots Art whether right or not :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”