Art Frames

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Art Frames

Re: Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

MikeOxon wrote:Lovely series of shots, Peter. I especially like the second one, where the vivid colour of the upper-wings stands out against the muted background - a true 'Art' shot :)

Mike
Thank you Mike. I apologise to photographers and purists, but my background was as a wildlife illustrator. So I do play with any pictures to crop and style them sometimes more than others, but it is always about working the photo as a painting. I paint and draw less nowadays than when I was younger. And I do see photos as the start point and will always work to enhance the story. That one was subject to change :)

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I had guessed that was the case. Like you, I regard the output from the camera as a starting point. In the 'old days', many photographers said that the work began in the darkroom. Now, that role has been taken over by image editing programs. Often in the field, especially with active subjects, it is simply not possible to optimise cropping or to ensure that distracting objects are 'out of shot'. As long as the butterfly is portrayed accurately and in its natural environment, I'm content :)

Mike

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

The car park had a few toilet cubicles (these seemed to attract a lot of insect interest but I felt I should give them a miss with my long lens :shock: ). Just behind them was a rough stone path/track over a cattle grid which was also a magnet to butterflies. This one caught my attention. On every day, and even in the garden of the gite I had seen many great banded graylings, and one grayling ...but this was different. My books confirmed it to be a Black Satyr (another 'lifer' for that day), a male and very challenging to get close to and even more difficult to get to display the wing spots. So here is a rare 'flashing' shot

ImageBlack Satyr - Satyrus actaea by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

..and here another butterfly, I think, showing the standard camouflage position shot.

ImageBlack Satyr - Satyrus actaea by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

Every time I post a picture I am expecting Guy to leap in and say 'no its not'...but I am happy to be corrected and educated, honest:D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Whilst everyone else seems to have been out photographing butterflies I was at a useful workshop (I hope) learning how to use high speed flash for wildlife. I have always found flash to be crude and unhelpful for insects (....in my hands, ...your skills/experience may be better than mine) and whilst teaching was not aimed directly at butterflies I am hoping to be able to further improve my shots using the skills we learned on the day.

We did some practice on flowers and also on fruit bats in complete darkness but I was much more interested in shots which used high speed flash in very challenging lighting in full sunlight, often contre jour or similar. As an example this meercat.

ImageMeerkat using HS flash by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

A selection from the day are here https://www.flickr.com/photos/131956160 ... 0551437860 if you are interested.

I have spent the day trying to set up my Olympus kit to work similarly as I make more use of mirrorless for insects. Camera manufacturers are not the best at explaining how their stuff works and it seems very little on forums is true or accurate :shock: Eventually, I made it work and was able to take shots at 1/4000th in the garden with some delicate flash fill. So I hope, If I get it right it could be a huge benefit. But time will tell.

So now that I have prepared for, attended and processed the workshop I can get back to butterflies. I did see quite a few during the workshop but didn't take pictures as we were on a tight schedule :wink:

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It sounds as though you had a useful day. I'd just about got the hang of the Nikon flash system, when I changed to Olympus :)

I'll be interested to see the results from your experiments.

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

I think I have discovered that I was trying to spin too many plates at once. So once my life calmed a little, I had a rethink about how to try and make this diary/blog work - and restart it.

The best I have come up with is to avoid the diary side of it (many of you are doing it far better than I could anyway). It is also very apparent that the differences in dates of emergence and butterfly numbers between Northamptonshire and the Southern counties is quite vast. At one stage I thought we must be in different countries, rather than a few hundred miles distant. So I think I will stick to images that I have enjoyed taking/creating and especially when I go somewhere a little more interesting and see something new and special.

I'll see how that goes. :)

So I am still enjoying the novelty of Orange Tips and I took a couple of nice images which seem worth showing.

ImageOrange tip - Anthocharis cardamines by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

ImageOrange tip - Anthocharis cardamines by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

These were with a new camera (Panasonic G80) that I have just started using which also allows some very interesting stacking and high speed video tricks. Indeed, this last one is from 3 layers blended in photoshop. I wanted to see if I could get more depth of focus across the wings and antennae. It appears to be quite useful.

ImageOrange tip - Anthocharis cardamines - female by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That sounds like a plan Peter - we all do it our own way - and those images are definitely worth showing; very artistic and creative and I look forward to seeing many more hopefully :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The image stacking really seems to be working Peter as those are cracking images of the OTs :D Ploughing your own furrow is definitely the way to go :)

Have a goodun

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those Orange-tips are to die for, I especially like the first one with the halo of a dandelion clock behind :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Joyous images, Peter!!

Can you post more often on here? :) I find my stress levels are somewhat neutralised when I see photographs such as these!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree with every one, :mrgreen: but love the second shot best, Goldie :D

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Thank you Goldie, David, Bugboy, Wurzel and Pauline for your kind comments and thoughts all are appreciated. I hope I can cope with that. :D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

With my new found freedom, and the fact that Northamptonshire is in Monsoon season (particularly on any day when I am not expected to work) I have delved into my files to one of my local success stories. The Wood White in Salcey Forest is quite strong. Two years ago, when these were shot, there was a survey by BC across the complex and they found 150+ on one day.

I had just gone out for a wander and found a few butterflies. It was a good sunny day and this short egg-laying series was my day's highlight.

ImageWood White egg-laying 1 by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

ImageWood White egg-laying 2 by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

ImageWood White egg-laying 3 by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

Today it is raining....again. :(
Last edited by Art Frames on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking sequence Peter :D I know what you mean about the rain, just like yourself the weather does seem to wait until I'm about to go butterflying before turning for the worst. On the plus side the rain was desperately needed :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It's good to have something to aspire to :) :mrgreen:

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Wood Whites Peter, Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Impeccable, Peter, absolutely impeccable.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Stunning sequence Peter. I got my very first audience with them on Tuesday, a dry day in the middle of our monsoon season. Your shots really capture the delicacy of them :) . My highlight was watching the courtship ritual.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Thank you Bugboy, David, Goldie, Pauline and Wurzel. You are more than kind.

I had a look at your Wood Whites Pauline and think yours (especially the cute one with the dandelion) are very nice indeed and tell a great story. I think they are super butterflies and wasn't aware that they had appeared already despite the weather. Apparently they are out in Salcey so I will be looking for a nice dry day next week...if anyone has any sway with the weather... (but not on Monday as I have to be in London).

Bugboy, I will watch out for the courtship I think our county recorder shot a video of it so I will have a look before I put the wellies on and venture out as Salcey does get fairly muddy.... :D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Art Frames wrote: Bugboy, I will watch out for the courtship I think our county recorder shot a video of it so I will have a look before I put the wellies on and venture out as Salcey does get fairly muddy.... :D
Bugboy, this is a link to two of David's videos.Did you shoot any video? I shall shoot some myself if I see the action. Looks like it may be a warm enough day soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drVNjWU9HvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oljagle7nrs

regards

Peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr

Return to “Personal Diaries”