Janet Turnbull

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Janet Turnbull
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:05 pm
Location: Sale, Cheshire

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Janet Turnbull » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am

bugboy wrote: I could be wrong but I think those first 3 images of ovipositing long tailed blues is actually a Lang's Short-tailed Blue :D

Having looked them up on the wiki, I think you may be right. The first three don't have that distinctive white mark seen on the others. In which case it's another first for me! Thanks Paul!

User avatar
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6765
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Padfield » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi Janet. Buggy is absolutely right - that is a Lang’s short-tailed blue.

I have made a page here: http://www.guypadfield.com/butterflyhouse.html where you will find all the butterfy-house butterflies you posted, and probably most or all of any you didn’t post. I leave you the challenge of seeing if you can! :wink:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: http://www.guypadfield.com

Janet Turnbull
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:05 pm
Location: Sale, Cheshire

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Janet Turnbull » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Padfield wrote:Hi Janet. Buggy is absolutely right - that is a Lang’s short-tailed blue.

I have made a page here: http://www.guypadfield.com/butterflyhouse.html where you will find all the butterfy-house butterflies you posted, and probably most or all of any you didn’t post. I leave you the challenge of seeing if you can! :wink:

Guy

Thank you Guy! A wonderful resource - and I have identified my three as: Forest Giant Owl, Tiger longwing, and either a True Cattleheart or an Iphilamus Cattleheart (what a name) as mine isn't showing any edge spots.

User avatar
David M
Posts: 7807
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: South Wales

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby David M » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Nice set of reports, Janet. You've certainly enjoyed an eclectic mix of species lately.

Chris Jackson
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 6:35 am
Location: Marseilles, France
Contact:

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Chris Jackson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi Janet,
I've enjoyed looking at your photos and reading about your adventures.
The photo of the Woodland Grayling (from Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 pm) looks a little like H. semele, but I'm not sure - worth a second glance - I stand to be corrected.
Cheers, Chris
https://sites.google.com/site/mespapill ... baume/home
Note: My photos are not covered by copyright. Please feel free to copy for charitable use.

User avatar
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6765
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Padfield » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Chris Jackson wrote:The photo of the Woodland Grayling (from Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 pm) looks a little like H. semele, but I'm not sure - worth a second glance - I stand to be corrected.


It is indeed semele (grayling). On the other hand, the rock grayling looks distinctly like woodland grayling. These two are difficult to tell apart with certainty but I'd definitely lean this way.

Guy

PS - glad you found my butterfly house page useful, Janet.
Guy's Butterflies: http://www.guypadfield.com

Janet Turnbull
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:05 pm
Location: Sale, Cheshire

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Janet Turnbull » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Padfield wrote:
Chris Jackson wrote:The photo of the Woodland Grayling (from Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 pm) looks a little like H. semele, but I'm not sure - worth a second glance - I stand to be corrected.


It is indeed semele (grayling). On the other hand, the rock grayling looks distinctly like woodland grayling. These two are difficult to tell apart with certainty but I'd definitely lean this way.

Guy

PS - glad you found my butterfly house page useful, Janet.


Chris, Guy: I looked long and hard and seem to have got them all wrong! :oops: Thanks for the corrections.
Janet

Janet Turnbull
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:05 pm
Location: Sale, Cheshire

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Janet Turnbull » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:21 pm

25th October
Out for a ramble at Bollington near Macclesfield, Cheshire. Lunch was at the cafe at Clarence Mill - a place so popular we had to sit at tables outside. A Red Admiral was nectaring on the hebe bushes and took little notice of us. Eventually the sunshine moved off and she flew higher up the mill building to where the sun was still warming the walls and settled on a white windowsill.
20171025_red ad-crop.jpg

Janet Turnbull
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:05 pm
Location: Sale, Cheshire

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Janet Turnbull » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 pm

I wonder if anyone can identify this egg - it was on a blackthorn close to a couple of Brown Hairstreak eggs at Gait Barrows 0n 8th November. It was the BrHS I was trying to photograph but the camera focused on the one I didn't see!
IMG_6338-crop.jpg

Janet Turnbull
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:05 pm
Location: Sale, Cheshire

Re: Janet Turnbull

Postby Janet Turnbull » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Ah - I see Tom Dunbar has already asked the question and it has been ID'd as a possible Green-brindled Crescent moth.


Return to “Personal Diaries”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests