Bhutan Butterflies

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Sonam Dorji

Re: Bhutan Butterflies

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Tony Moore wrote:Wow!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Tony

Tony M.
bugboy wrote:Stunning! That Common Copper (or Small Copper as we call it, assuming it is L. phlaeas) looks somewhat out of place amongst all that exotica!
Thanks bugboy!!! It is definitely L. phlaeas. It does look out of place but they are also beautiful species too!!! It is at an altitude of 2400 masl whereas rest are below 1300 masl.

rgds,
Sonam

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi all,

A comparative plate of 4 species of sapphires found inn Bhutan. There are 7 of them in Bhutan.

1. Top left : Azure sapphire, H. moorei
2. Top right : Powdery green sapphire, H.tamu
3: Indian Purple sapphire : H. indicus
4: Golden sapphire : H. brahma

Azure sapphire is found at 2400 masl while the rest are all below 1500 mas

Hope you all like it.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Sapphires from Bhutan
Sapphires from Bhutan

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Kip

Post by Kip »

First time I've looked in on your diary and just had to add my bit.... it is awesome, incredible, beautiful as others have said.... thank you for posting images of these breathtaking species. :D

More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Kip wrote:First time I've looked in on your diary and just had to add my bit.... it is awesome, incredible, beautiful as others have said.... thank you for posting images of these breathtaking species. :D
Thanks Kip

David M

Post by David M »

What a quartet! And here's me thinking female Brown Hairstreak can't be beaten!

She'd stand no chance in a beauty contest against these stunners.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

David M wrote:What a quartet! And here's me thinking female Brown Hairstreak can't be beaten!

She'd stand no chance in a beauty contest against these stunners.
Hi David,

I think the Hairstreaks are great too. But their usual closed-wing stand is really frustrating when you are photographing.

Sonam

David M

Post by David M »

Three of our five Hairstreaks always settle with wings closed, Sonam, but Brown Hairstreaks (along with Purple) open up quite regularly:
1BHfem1b(1).jpg
The undersides are especially attractive too:
1BH2uns(1).jpg

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Sonam

Can I add my thanks for such an inspiring and beautiful collection of pictures. For me this is another world and I am pleased to have a chance to see it through your pictures. I have looked through the diary from start to finish in one sitting. I don't know how I missed it before. The more I investigate here at UKB the more I enjoy the knowledge and passion that so many people share.

I look forward to your updates and to more extraordinarily wonderful butterflies :D :D Thank you. Peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

David M wrote:Three of our five Hairstreaks always settle with wings closed, Sonam, but Brown Hairstreaks (along with Purple) open up quite regularly:

The undersides are especially attractive too:
Dull Green Hairstreak UP.
Dull Green Hairstreak UP.
David M,

Thanks for sharing the Brown Hairstreak. Is the open wing male or female? This looks similar to females of Sapphires. Attaching here a pic. of the Dull Green hairstreak open wing. It was knocked down unconscious by a passing vehicle. Normally you don't see them with open wings.

rgds,
Sonam
Art Frames wrote:Sonam

Can I add my thanks for such an inspiring and beautiful collection of pictures. For me this is another world and I am pleased to have a chance to see it through your pictures. I have looked through the diary from start to finish in one sitting. I don't know how I missed it before. The more I investigate here at UKB the more I enjoy the knowledge and passion that so many people share.

I look forward to your updates and to more extraordinarily wonderful butterflies :D :D Thank you. Peter
Dear Peter,

No need to thank. I guess we are all nature lovers. it is great to share the joys. I enjoy British butterflies which some of them can be found in Bhutan as well.

Will keep posting pics. after each trips i make.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Dull Green Hairstreak UN. Posted earlier also.
Dull Green Hairstreak UN. Posted earlier also.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Sonam Dorji wrote:David M, Thanks for sharing the Brown Hairstreak. Is the open wing male or female? ....
This photo is of a female. Unusually, it is the female of this species that is the more brightly coloured. This has confused many people, including one of our well-respected field guides, which got it wrong in the first edition!

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi all,

I am currently chasing Bhutan Glory as this is the time. It is in Western Bhutan. I got some record shots that I would like to share with the forum members. I will be here for some time, so hopefully, I get better pics to share with you all.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
B49A1520.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Just when I think that the Butterflies from your country can't get any more exotic, they do !.

Looking forward to much more,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Sonam Dorji wrote:I am currently chasing Bhutan Glory as this is the time. It is in Western Bhutan. I got some record shots that I would like to share with the forum members. I will be here for some time, so hopefully, I get better pics to share with you all.
What a spectacular insect. I shall await more images with anticipation, Sonam. You really DO have some exquisite butterflies in your country.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

David M wrote:
What a spectacular insect. I shall await more images with anticipation, Sonam. You really DO have some exquisite butterflies in your country.
[/quote
trevor wrote:Just when I think that the Butterflies from your country can't get any more exotic, they do !.

Looking forward to much more,
Trevor.
Thanks Trevor and David. Will definitely keep you guys posted when I get better pics. I see more of worn out species now.

rgds,
Sonam

David M

Post by David M »

Sonam Dorji wrote:Thanks Trevor and David. Will definitely keep you guys posted when I get better pics. I see more of worn out species now.
Bring on as many worn out species as you can find, Sonam!! Your butterflies are almost other-worldly to we Brits. How I wish I lived in a place with such beautiful insect companions. You truly are very fortunate.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi everyone,

These are not my pics. I had accompanied a group from Singapore in Sept. and they were able to get good pics. of Bhutan Glory. These pics. are by Mr. KC Tsang and I really liked the quality so I am sharing it with you all.

My quest for better pics. on Bhutan Glory still continues.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Bhutan Glory 1.jpg
Bhutan Glory 2.jpg
bhutan Glory 3.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just WOW!!! It doesn't look real :shock:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Mr Tsang has taken some remarkable photos. Good luck with your own quest.

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

Incredible !.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

bugboy wrote:Just WOW!!! It doesn't look real :shock:
MikeOxon wrote:Mr Tsang has taken some remarkable photos. Good luck with your own quest.

Mike
trevor wrote:Incredible !.
Thank you all. This is one common species in Bhutan.

Sonam

Return to “Personal Diaries”