Bhutan Butterflies

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Bhutan Butterflies

Post by David M »

Amazingly beautiful, Sonam. As Bugboy says, it almost doesn't seem real. The fact that they're quite common is even better. What a joy to have such a companion flying around you.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Wow, just wow, what a stunning array of butterflies, great pics too!
Thanks for posting Sonam, really interesting.

Andrew

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi all,

It has be quite a long time since I posted. I am posting a pic. of the Kanmuri's Green Hairstreak (Fujiokaozephyrus camurius), July 2019. This is female and I was lucky as it came down on the ground.

Hope you all like it.

Sonam
Attachments
B49A3526.jpg
bugboy

Re: kanmuri's Green Hairstreak

Post by bugboy »

That's a looker Sonam, kinda looks like a White-letter Hairstreak Satyrium w-album on steroids :lol: !
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Sonam Dorji

Re: kanmuri's Green Hairstreak

Post by Sonam Dorji »

bugboy wrote:That's a looker Sonam, kinda looks like a White-letter Hairstreak Satyrium w-album on steroids :lol: !
Thanks bugboy!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've been missing out big time Sonam as I've only just discovered your diary. What stunningly beautiful images you have posted - an absolute joy to view. Please keep posting.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Pauline wrote:I've been missing out big time Sonam as I've only just discovered your diary. What stunningly beautiful images you have posted - an absolute joy to view. Please keep posting.
Thanks Pauline. Will be in the field soon. I will keep posting whatever I get.

rgds,
Sonam
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you back with your never-ending range of Asian exotica, Sonam.

I have to ask the question though.....what is 'green' about this Hairstreak?
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

David M wrote:Great to see you back with your never-ending range of Asian exotica, Sonam.

I have to ask the question though.....what is 'green' about this Hairstreak?
Hi David,

Nice to hear from you. Hope to post more pics. It shows green iridescence on upperwings when light falls on it. It is not totally green but I assume it is named after that. I agree that the underside colors are totally different and can be misleading.

rgds,
Sonam
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi all,

Some few species flying around now in Bhutan. The Bi-color Commodore is a common species during his time of the year but it is also one of my most favourite.

Sonam
Attachments
Chumbi wall
Chumbi wall
Bi color Commodore
Bi color Commodore
David M

Post by David M »

Sonam Dorji wrote:... It shows green iridescence on upperwings when light falls on it. It is not totally green but I assume it is named after that. I agree that the underside colors are totally different and can be misleading.
Thanks for the explanation, Sonam.

You have an incredibly rich variety of species (not surprising I guess given the mountain terrain).

Your Bi-Colour Commodore is yet another exquisite example.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

David M wrote:
Sonam Dorji wrote:... It shows green iridescence on upperwings when light falls on it. It is not totally green but I assume it is named after that. I agree that the underside colors are totally different and can be misleading.
Thanks for the explanation, Sonam.

You have an incredibly rich variety of species (not surprising I guess given the mountain terrain).

Your Bi-Colour Commodore is yet another exquisite example.
Thanks David. I am back in the field and here are some of my few encounters. There are also some Hornbills nests. I was lucky to see the three hornbill nests out of four.

Sonam
Attachments
Great Hornbill
Great Hornbill
Rufous necked Hornbill
Rufous necked Hornbill
Wreathed Hornbill
Wreathed Hornbill
Fulvous Pied Flat
Fulvous Pied Flat
Common Tit
Common Tit
Tawny Emperor
Tawny Emperor
Fivebar Swordtail
Fivebar Swordtail
Redbase Jezebel
Redbase Jezebel
Powdered Baron
Powdered Baron
Palmfly Jezebel
Palmfly Jezebel
Redspot Sawtooth
Redspot Sawtooth
Common Maplet
Common Maplet
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm not even gonna pretend to pick a favourite out of that bunch, you get some extra envy from me with those fantastic Hornbills too :mrgreen: !
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Your images from your home country make even the best parts of Europe seem tame by comparison, Sonam.

Bhutan has to be right up there in terms of unspoiled habitat.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

David M wrote:Your images from your home country make even the best parts of Europe seem tame by comparison, Sonam.

Bhutan has to be right up there in terms of unspoiled habitat.
Thanks David M. for such lovely words. Our government does try to maintain the pristine forests but there are challenges as well.
bugboy wrote:I'm not even gonna pretend to pick a favourite out of that bunch, you get some extra envy from me with those fantastic Hornbills too :mrgreen: !
Thanks Bugboy. Here are some more for you all. Forgive me if I have accidently reposted some pics. These are all from August 2019 field trip to South Central Bhutan

Sonam
Attachments
Popinjay
Popinjay
Commander
Commander
Scarce White Commodore
Scarce White Commodore
Small Tawny Wall
Small Tawny Wall
Common Peacock
Common Peacock
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks for resuming your postings. Not only are they first class pictures of lovely butterflies (but our own Peacock is as impressive a match for any of them!) but it is so pleasing to learn how your government has such a positive attitude to conservation.

Jack
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Jack Harrison wrote:Thanks for resuming your postings. Not only are they first class pictures of lovely butterflies (but our own Peacock is as impressive a match for any of them!) but it is so pleasing to learn how your government has such a positive attitude to conservation.

Jack
Hi Jack,

Nice to hear from you. Hope al is well. I definitely agree that your Peacock is one of the topmost butterfly. I really like it. We are small so cant afford to play with our natural resources a lot. Bhutan is one the only Carbon negative country in the world! Anyways, Tony Moore was here in Bhutan in July for few days. I accompanied him in some of his field trips. He may post some of them when he is done with ID confirmation.

rgds,
Sonam
David M

Post by David M »

Every time you post a line-up of species I am bowled over, Sonam. Difficult to pick a favourite but that Commander is certainly very eye-catching.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

David M wrote:Every time you post a line-up of species I am bowled over, Sonam. Difficult to pick a favourite but that Commander is certainly very eye-catching.

Thanks David. The commander is fairly common but yes it is also a beautiful one, both the UP and UN side. Attaching here some sceneries and people faces from where I took the butterflies. This is rainy season so mostly in the morning it is mists all the way.
Attachments
B49A6438 - Copy.jpg
B49A6218 - Copy.jpg
B49A6183 - Copy.jpg
B49A6154 - Copy.jpg
B49A6145 - Copy.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Wow. Those are breathtaking landscapes, Sonam. You really are blessed in your mountain kingdom.

Return to “Personal Diaries”