Gary.N

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gary.N

Re: Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Thanks for your comments guys. Sorry it has been a while but work and home life over took me. I just about found time for this post, too continue my diary.

Sunday 10th September 2017

Another day that the forecast showed cloud moving in for the afternoon. So a trip to Abbot's was in order. The amount of Red Adirmal's, Peacock's and Comma's was amazing. I couldn't walk 5 metres down some ride and not see 3 or 4 of them at a time. There was the odd Painted Lady and white thrown in too.
Comma.png
Comma3.png
P.lady.png
Peacock.png
Red.png
Red3.png
Red4.png
Red5.png
Red5a.png
White.png
Saturday 16th September 2017
It was a cloudy day I spent at home doing a few odd jobs. Then it clear up for a while and warm. I looked out into the garden and there was a few things flying around. So this is what I got in about 20 minutes of sun.
Comma.png
Peacock.png
Peacock2.png
Peacock3.png
Red1.png
Sunday 17th September 2017
Transect day. Lots of Coppers, but no Ab's. Did get a nice shot of a Small Heath with it's wings open just before I got back to the car. :D
Comma.png
Copper5.png
Copper6.png
Copper7.png
Copper8.png
Small Heath.png
Saturday 23rd September 2017
The last transect of the year for the Heath. It is always sad. You know that winter is just around the corner. But it's not here yet. :D
Speckled Wood.png
Comma.png
Comma2.png
Copper1.png
Copper2.png
Peacock.png

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

22th October 2017
It had been a while since I had gotten out to look for anything. It was sunny so I went to the Gallop's as there is normally some Red Admiral's and Copper's this time of year still. But I found a lot more. Peacock's, Red Admiral's, Comma's, Copper's, Speckled wood's, Wall's, Clouded Yellow's. They were all very mobile and I don't get many good shots.
Red1.png
Red.png
It started to cloud over so a start back to the car down the hill and I saw what I throught was a Common Blue. I stopped to take a look at it as it was probably the last one I would see of the year and it wasn't a Common Blue. But it was a Long Tailed Blue. I got a couple of shot and I lost it. I searched for about 10 minutes and found it again in the grass. Just sitting there. By this point the cloud had come over. So I phoned James up. By the time him and Bob had got there a brief bit of the had occurred and it had disappear for good. Sorry Guys. Bob did found a Helix Clouded Yellow were the LTB was and that was a first one I have seen. So the Gallops bring the goods in again. :D
LTB1.png
LTB.png

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Very envious of your LTB Gary :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It must be your pay back for not being able to have gotten out as much :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Today 27th October 2017

Today I went to a few sights around the local area with James. We meet Bob at one of them. It was good enjoyable sunny day. :D We saw quiet a few species. Lots Red Admiral's. Then the were a few Peacock's and Clouded Yellow's. And finally a Comma, Speckled wood, Brimstone, Wall, Common Blue female (Same spot as the LTB last week. Hoped for a few seconds. But I think it is Ab.Thestylis :D ) and Copper.
Peacock.png
C.blue.png
Copper.png
Last edited by Gary.N on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Thanks Wurzel. Another very luckly find for the year. :D

David M

Post by David M »

Good return for late October, Gary.

By the way, I like your Small Heath with wings open from the earlier post. You don't see that too often!

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Thanks David. It kept flicking it wings open. I caught the shot just right.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Some terrific shots of some lovely butterflies Gary.
Though it's dangerous for me looking at photos like this, always makes me think about buying another camera!

Cheers

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some great images Gary but a Long-tailed Blue :mrgreen: , a near mythical beast for me!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your Long Tailed Blue was a great find. This happened to James, Katrina and myself last Autumn,
we were casually walking at Tide Mills, when suddenly there was an LTB almost at our feet !.
Like you, we all managed a snatched shot of it as proof of the find.

Fingers crossed for Park Corner next year,
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

Only just seen your Long Tailed Blue, Gary. You are one of only a tiny number who has seen this species on UK soil this year so well done.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well Done indeed, what a find! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Thankyou Goldie, David, Trevor and Bugboy. The LTB was one of my best finds of the year. Bugboy the LTB is nearly a mythical beast for me too. I only seen 5 since I have been looking, but that is more the most.

Trevor. Yes, please cross your finger for next year too, for next year at Rowland's Wood and Abbot's Wood. It going to be a long nevre racking winter for me. So fingers crossed and more.

Sunday 29th October 2017

Had a bit of luck in the Garden today. I had 7 Red Admiral's flying around and I got a few good shots. Andrew, if you don't want to be temped by a new camera I advise not to look further. :D
Red1.png
Red2.png
Red3.png
Red4.png
Red5.png
Red6.png
Red7.png
Red8.png

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

:lol: Gary, I can't resist!
Great shots, love these butterflies on garden flowers, the colours are just wonderful.
Dear Santa...
:D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Congrats. to you and Theresa on your award, very well deserved.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

trevor wrote:Congrats. to you and Theresa on your award, very well deserved.

Best wishes,
Trevor.
Agree - congrats Gary (and Theresa) on the BC Outstanding Volunteer award for your excellent work on the Small and Pearl-bordered fritillaries! It was great to meet you both and hear about your ever-so-interesting observations!
IMG_5540.JPG
Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congratulations Gary to both you and Theresa on your award, sterling stuff :D
Great set of shots form your last post by the way :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Couldn't agree more, well done and very deserving :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Great effort, Gary, and nice to see it recognised. Well done!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Now I've seen your picture Gary, I think I spoke to you once at Lullington Heath :)
Congrats to you both on your awards.

Cheers

Return to “Personal Diaries”