Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Hello all fellow butterfly lovers. This is my first post here, only signed up today.

So what's my mission you must all be clammering to find out! Well this summer after getting back into macro photography I decided to set myself a challange: to photgraph every UK species in the next 5 years. I already had 24 of the list ticked of, the usual suspects found in London where I live (plus the Large Blue through a handy contact a few years ago). A few trips to Box Hill in Surry gave me a few more, my very first Silver Spotted Skipper and also Adonis and Chalkhill Blues, Silver Washed and Dark Green Fritillaries and a trip to Chobham Common got me the Grayling and some very old looking Silver Studded Blues. I shall be returning to these sights in the spring to catch some of the early flighers that apparently occur there.

But the real mission comes when I'm after the really local species, having lived in London my whole life I don't drive so getting to some of these sites could prove to be quite a mission.

So what is my aim for 2015? Well Heath Fritillary in South Essex, White Admiral, Purple Emperor, Dingy & Grizzled Skippers in Box Hill and hopefully a trip to the limestone wilds north of Morcambe.

When I work out how to put photo's up I shall start adding a few.

Hopefully someone will find this diary of interest although entries may well be few and far between until the spring arrives.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

A few pics from Box hill in August this year.
Attachments
Freshly emerged male who was very eager to drink from my sweaty finger!
Freshly emerged male who was very eager to drink from my sweaty finger!
Adonis Blue female, Box Hill, '14 #3.JPG
Silver Spotted Skipper, Box Hill, '14 #37.JPG
Silver Spotted Skipper, Box Hill, '14 #27.JPG

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

bugboy wrote: I decided to set myself a challange: to photgraph every UK species in the next 5 years.
A good mission :) My son set it for me when he was about 13 years old though, fortunately he didn't set a time limit. We completed it in in 2007, during a trip to Scotland for the Chequered Skipper. By then he was old enough to share a bottle of Champagne.

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Good luck with the mission, I look forward to seeing your further photos.

Cheers,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the welcomes :D

Well since this is a diary of sorts I guess it's a bit silly not to make regular entries in the quiet season so I shall fill the empty winter days up with pics from species I have photgraphed over the past 10 or 15 years, 1 species per entry in no particular order. Today the lovely little Small Copper:
Attachments
Hampstead Heath, 22/7/07
Hampstead Heath, 22/7/07
Walthamstow marshes, 21/9/14
Walthamstow marshes, 21/9/14
Hampstead Heath, 22/7/07
Hampstead Heath, 22/7/07

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome Bugboy - some great stuff so far - looking forward to some more :D Good luck with your mission, if you need a hand with Marshies or Lulworths then give me a PM.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Today feels like a Red Admiral day!

For those that are interested in such things I used a Canon EOS 400D with a sigma 50mm macro up until this summer when I upgraded to a 700D.
Attachments
Hampstead Heath, 22/7/07
Hampstead Heath, 22/7/07
Dollis Valley, Finchley, North London, 8/7/07
Dollis Valley, Finchley, North London, 8/7/07
Box Hill, 13/8/14 (taken with my phone!)
Box Hill, 13/8/14 (taken with my phone!)
Box Hill, 13/8/14
Box Hill, 13/8/14

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some Large Skippers today! :)
Attachments
Hampstead Heath 29/6/07
Hampstead Heath 29/6/07
Dollis Valley, Finchley, 5/6/07
Dollis Valley, Finchley, 5/6/07
Hampstead Heath, 13/7/08
Hampstead Heath, 13/7/08
Hampstead Heath, 22/7/07
Hampstead Heath, 22/7/07

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Since the sun was out today I thought I'd get a breath of fresh air and have a wander in my local patch. Been fighting a recurring bought of tonsilitis recently so not been out as much as I'd like. Mainly out for a bit of casual twitching but took a few pics of the area of the Brown hairstreak sighting which I'll post in that thread for those that are interested to peruse and maybe cast an expert eye over.

Decided to put some moths up today, a couple of Longhorn micro moths:
Attachments
Adela reaumurella, Dollis valley, Finchley, 28/4/07
Adela reaumurella, Dollis valley, Finchley, 28/4/07
Female Nemophora degeerella, Dollis Valley, Finchley, 5/6/07
Adela reaumurella, Dollis valley, Finchley, 15/4/07
Adela reaumurella, Dollis valley, Finchley, 15/4/07

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Green Veined white Tuesday:
Attachments
Dollis Valley, Finchley, London, 16/7/07
Dollis Valley, Finchley, London, 16/7/07
Wormley Wood, Herts. 18/7/14
Tottenham Marshes, London, 21/7/14
Tottenham Marshes, London, 21/7/14

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hadn't noticed before but going through my pictures for this it seems I took loads in 2007 and this year and very little inbetween. I guess I was excited about my new Digital technology, have hundreds of slides going back into the mid 90's but need to find a good service to digitize them. Anyway, tonight it's the turn of the Peacock:
Attachments
Hatch Forest (Epping Forest), 26/7/14
Hatch Forest (Epping Forest), 26/7/14
April 2002, scan of a slide.
April 2002, scan of a slide.
ovipositing, Hampstead Heath, 7/5/08
ovipositing, Hampstead Heath, 7/5/08

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The Common Blue:
Attachments
Walthamstow Marshes, 27/7/14
Walthamstow Marshes, 27/7/14
Walthamstow Marshes, 21/9/14
Walthamstow Marshes, 19/7/10
Walthamstow Marshes, 19/7/10
Dollis Valley walk, Finchley, 10/6/07
Dollis Valley walk, Finchley, 10/6/07

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Some great shots Bugboy, especially considering that some of then are taken just off the A406 :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Maximus wrote:Some great shots Bugboy, especially considering that some of then are taken just off the A406 :)
Haha, closer to the A104 ;)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A couple of shots of the Purple Hairstreak tonight. Not the best conditioned individual but I do love the headon shot :)
Attachments
Hampstead Heath 1/8/07
Hampstead Heath 1/8/07
Hampstead Heath 1/8/07
Hampstead Heath 1/8/07
Hampstead Heath 1/8/07
Hampstead Heath 1/8/07

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking first Purple Hairstreak shot - I didn't have any luck with them this year :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

We'll forgive you for the scruffiness of the individual - any open wing Purple Hairstreak shot is noteworthy. Well done.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys. In all my time this is the only individual that has ever posed for me. All my other sightings are little silver dots flitting around the tops of oak trees!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just a quicky to say I'm not ignoring your PM - I'll try and get back to you this side of Xmas I'm just trying to get work done before the festivities :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

No worries Wurzel, plenty of time :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”