Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of bird shots Bugboy :D I reckon your waders in the distance are Dunlin as they seem so much smaller than the Oystercatcher and darker than Knot, there could be some Sandering in there as well but they usually come across as a blur as they race in and out with the tide :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Keep the bird images coming, Bugboy! Right now I'm happy to gorge myself on any natural event in the UK given that butterflies are still a few weeks away.

Hopefully you'll get your first quite soon and we'll be back to normal service.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You're probably right Wurzel, there were large flocks of them 'hanging out' at high tide on my previous visit :)
I'll see what I can do David, it's just getting the weather to cooperate with my days off! If it stays dry tomorrow I feel a trip to the London Wetlands Centre may be in order, lots of Bitterns are there again this winter :) (well I say lots, 4 is the number I was told today but where Bitterns are concerned that equates to lots, especially considering this is central London!)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well David, the weather was very cooperative today, a lovely crisp January day so it was off to the London wetlands Centre. Who knows, maybe I would even find a Red Admiral.... well, sadly no, but there were plenty of birds around and a few signs of Spring to signal that winters grip is starting to wain.

Robins were singing from various vantage points
IMG_0011.JPG
meanwhile out on the water Gulls were commonplace, Herring, Great & Lesser-black Backs, Common and Black-headed were all present in varying numbers. Black-headed were by far the most numerous
A Lesser-black Back and Herring mingling with some Black-headed Gulls
A Lesser-black Back and Herring mingling with some Black-headed Gulls
A Great-black Backed towering over a Crow lurks in a small flock of Herring Gulls
A Great-black Backed towering over a Crow lurks in a small flock of Herring Gulls
A bit of action here and there
A Cormorant swoops past the hide
A Cormorant swoops past the hide
A Gadwall comes in for a bumpy landing whilst being ignored by a Lapwing and some Canada Geese
A Gadwall comes in for a bumpy landing whilst being ignored by a Lapwing and some Canada Geese
and a Coots Bum as it dives for some lunch.
and a Coots Bum as it dives for some lunch.
Further out a couple of Great-crested grebe were practicing their moves for breeding
IMG_0032.JPG
Good numbers of Wigeon and Shoveler winter here every year
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
More notable was a shy Pintail drake. They're like the duck equivalent of the Long-tailed Blue, one of the most widespread and numerous ducks in the northern hemisphere but only a handful of pairs breed in the UK (although several thousand do winter here).
IMG_0102.JPG
Here's a Moorhen who couldn't care less about being around people
IMG_0114.JPG
The highlight of the day came in one hide where on one side, 4 Snipe were showing well, feeding only around 10 feet away at one point
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
Whilst out the other side a Bittern was skulking in the reeds (nothing skulks like a Bittern skulks!), so lets play spot the Bittern :)
IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG
It never came out whilst I was there

A few exotica and a rather nonplussed Bewick's Swan to finish (all captive hence why they're so close)
Red-breasted Geese
Red-breasted Geese
Emperor Goose
Emperor Goose
IMG_0181.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Bugboy, really like the Snipe which are a difficult species to see at the best of times let alone get a clear shot of :D :mrgreen: I enjoyed playing 'Where's Boomer?' :wink: Spying a Bittern in the reeds is a bit like those 3D pictures, you stare at it for long enough and suddenly the bird appears :D :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

You had another good day, BB, and you're right....portents of spring are definitely there!

Well done with the snipe and what a magnificent beast that Emperor Goose is!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Bugboy, We've a place near us called "Martin Mere" which you'd enjoy, they've got many species of birds there that are
rare it's quite an experience going there. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

That Bittern took a bit of finding in your photos...how on earth did you spot that :shock:

Some great reports and photos from your recent days out :D

Cheers,

Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yes although I've never visited Godie, I'm familiar with Martin Mere. All the WWT reserves are worth visiting if you happen to be near them since they all attract their own specialties
Thanks Wurzel and Neil, I thought I'd make 'Boomer' easy :lol: to spot by making sure it was in the center of the image. I can't take credit for finding him though Neil, the hide was already being camped out by the twitchers who had discovered him earlier that day, and were most likely still there watching his every twitch at closing time :roll: !

Anyway, bit of catching up,

4th February, Essex again

On Sunday I went back to Two Tree Island, this time in the company of my Padawan. It was bitterly cold again, but enough blue sky helped make the day worthwhile. High tide was 3pm so getting there around 11.30 gave us amply time to wander around and wait for the birds to be chased in by the rising water. The birdlife on display was as expected much the same as previous visits but still plenty to point a camera at.
Wigeon (and the odd Teal)
Wigeon (and the odd Teal)
Several flocks of Lapwing flew over
Several flocks of Lapwing flew over
Teal
Teal
The tide starts to push the birds closer
A mixture of waders, Curlew, Dunlin, Turnstone, Sanderling, Knot, Grey Plover
A mixture of waders, Curlew, Dunlin, Turnstone, Sanderling, Knot, Grey Plover
Brent Geese
Brent Geese
Lapwing, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Shelduck, Avocet, Oystercatcher
Lapwing, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Shelduck, Avocet, Oystercatcher
Mostly Dunlin came into the Lagoon today
Mostly Dunlin came into the Lagoon today
A trio of Black-tailed Godwit having a skirmish whilst a fourth tries to stay out of trouble.
A trio of Black-tailed Godwit having a skirmish whilst a fourth tries to stay out of trouble.
5th February, Walthamstow

On Monday I had a half day and not wanting to waste a pleasant afternoon I spent a few hours birding on my local patch.

The Blackthorn here always flowers exceptionally early, nevertheless it is a sign spring is just around the corner.
IMG_0001 (2).JPG
In the middle of the Marshes is a riding school and the paddocks provide rich pickings for any birder all year round, I regularly see Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail during passage and it’s the only place I know locally where Linnets are resident. During the winter, Meadow Pipits, Pied/White Wagtails and the winter Thrushes always set up camp here and it was the latter that kept my attention today. In fact, the paddocks were teaming with Thrushes, all five species were clearly visible through my bins, not quite so through my camera (one day I may invest in a lens more suitable to this kind of photography :oops: ).
Pied/White Wagtail
Pied/White Wagtail
Redwing
Redwing
The Mistle Thrushes did let me down slightly by not allowing me to get all five in one picture.
IMG_0015 edit.JPG
One did make up for it though by coming nice and close though, deciding that the fence was plenty protection from me.
IMG_0052.JPG
On the way home a Goldcrest attracted my attention and I managed to grab a few shot as it darted from twig to twig in search of morsels of food.
IMG_0098.JPG
The Marshes back onto a water treatment works, the reservoirs of which attract large numbers of water birds. One of the reservoirs has two Island on which a large Cormorant colony breed and as can be seen, they’re already staking out nests for the coming months.
IMG_0118.JPG
6th February, Bookham

Long overdue a wander round here so it was an early start to catch the best of the days weather, and almost immediately I was finding things to capture, a Pheasant surveying his kingdom
IMG_0002.JPG
And a couple of Goldfinch dropping down in front of me to snatch a quick drink.
IMG_0005.JPG
As one would expect, Brown Hairstreak eggs numbers are diminishing but there’s still enough around to find without too much effort.
IMG_0023.JPG
I disturbed a Collared Dove having a sip from one of the many streams that flow here at this time of year, who was quickly joined by it’s mate in the tree.
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
In the wood catkins drip from every Hazel tree and closer inspection reveals the tiny spiky crimson female flowers, amazing to think this will be a Hazelnut in 6 months’ time.
the 'male' Hazel catkins
the 'male' Hazel catkins
female Hazel flower
female Hazel flower
The Red Admiral eggs I'm keeping an eye on were all still eggs, one of which is now at least 59 days old. The colour does seem to be changing though, a slight pale olive tinge perhaps showing some form of development.
IMG_0071.JPG
For lunch today I settled down in a hide that overlooks one of the small lakes/big ponds which were a hive of activity. Mostly Gadwall with some Mallard, a single Shoveler, some Swans and couple of Dabchick (little Grebe if you’re not old enough to remember the superior common name for the species) all being watched over by a Jackdaw.
IMG_0084 (2).JPG
Moving on I found my three Purple Hairstreak eggs were all still in place and a walk round Banks Common found both Brown Hairstreak eggs I witnessed being laid last year are still intact.
IMG_0110.JPG
Before leaving I wanted to check out a path I’d only been down once before, at the end of last year, which I’d penciled in to exploring further, since it seemed like a good new place for Brown Hairstreaks. Now that the leaves had fallen the eggs started popping out all over the place, half a dozen in 5 minutes and double figures without much effort.
IMG_0129.JPG
Interestingly the hedgerow also has several medium sized Elm suckers which were also searched avidly. WLH eggs however proved more illusive but that doesn’t mean they aren’t present, and a visit during June this year is definitely on the cards.

All this searching in the bushes didn’t go unnoticed, I was being watched from the neighbouring field
IMG_0121.JPG
and a Long-tailed Tit boldly dropped in and foraged within touching distance, only scared of by the sound of my shutter for this picture.
IMG_0134.JPG
They all seemed quite bold today, here’s another one probably fattening up of Purple Hairstreak eggs amongst other things.
IMG_0139.JPG
A good run of days, just hope this is the last cold spell of the winter and I can get out looking for butterflies soon, we're all gonna get told off by King Pete soon if we keep putting up bird pics :shock: :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots Bugboy especially the first Long-tail and the Teal in flight is a cracking shot :D :mrgreen: A couple more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: as I've either been stuck at work or stuck indoors working :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

You're certainly making the most of your local environment, Bugboy, even if butterflies are nearly impossible to come by.

I'm quite staggered by your blackthorn blossom though....that is abnormally early!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great selection of shots Bugboy, I like the one's in flight or motion especially. :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You've taken some cracking shots lately Bugboy, you've certainly taken the weather to task, it's been a long, long Winter up here for us, hope fully it's been good for the Butterflies, Cumbria in particular has had a lot of Snow and more forecast for Sunday I think. Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, here's some more 'birds in motion' :)

18th February,

Mr Sod and his well-known Law is most definitely working overtime on my life at the moment! You don’t need to watch the weather forecast to know what’s going to be happening, just a copy of my work rota will let you know exactly when the sunny and rainy days are. Weekends working seem to be mostly bright blue skies leading up to total washouts come my regular Tuesdays off then come my weekends off, either rain, wind or cloud and often all three. This past weekend was different though, off and it was sunny and very spring-like….except I’d already agreed to do overtime on the mornings of both days :roll: !

So, come Saturday I rushed off to Tottenham Marshes for the afternoon to see if the recent relative warmth had awoken anything. Even though I was shedding layers, it didn’t tempt any of the hibernators out, even in the sun traps that will be alive with them in a few weeks’ time. I did however see my first butterflies of the year, a couple of Red Admirals. Neither sat for a picture though so you’ll just have to believe me.
Sunday arrived with more sun whilst I was at work and then, as if Mr Sod was watching my every move, it clouded over the moment I got of the train with the intention of going for a wander on Walthamstow Marshes. Oh well birding it was then. Apparently, there’s a rare visitor round my neck of the woods, a Little Bunting, but since I’ve never been a birdy twitcher and I’m not on any birding forums this had gone under my radar. Also, I’m not a huge fan of standing amongst large groups all staring at a solitary LBJ so I went the opposite direction and headed for the paddocks to see what the Winter Thrushes were up to.

Here I found a large flock of Fieldfare, just about close enough for some snaps.
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
There were also about a dozen Black-headed Gulls one of whom was showing a lot of interest in the Fieldfares and as I watched I found out why. It would seem he’s been taking piracy lessons of Skuas. I’m presuming he was waiting for one of the Fieldfares to find a particularly large worm to steal. I’m not sure if he was ever successful but he was a persistent little bugger, even chasing away other Gulls to keep the potential free food source to himself.
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
Joining the Black-headed was a single Lesser Black-backed Gull whom I photographed as he took off, and with some experimenting I’ve managed to work out how to make a Gif all by myself which I’m rather proud of :D .
Lesser Black -backed Gif.gif
Wagtails were about, this is one of our own Pied Wagtails
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
And this, with it's grey rather than black back, is possibly the continental ‘White Wagtail’ race of the same species. (it could also be a juvenile Pied… its quite confusing to be honest).
IMG_0226.JPG
It’s fun to watch them darting around acrobatically catching the small midges they disturb. They move to fast for me to make a Gif though.

Finally, here’s some more Long-tailed Tit action including a lovely view of it’s little fluffy bum!
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
I'm actually off all this week and back to work on Saturday... can you guess what the forecast says for this coming week and the weekend :evil:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great gif Bugboy :D and great set of bird shots :D I'd get that Pied/White checked out by the county bird recorder as I know that White Wagtails do pass through on passage and are probably under-recorded but I'm not sure how often they overwinter? If it is a White it would be a great find :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Don’t worry about the weather forecast, Bugboy, you’ve put sufficient effort in on the bird front to merit your butterfly reward further down the line; and I’m sure you will do just that in due course!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

27th February

A time when butterflies are likely to be seen seems like a very long way away at the moment so I'm still 'making do' with birding for now. So, at the risk of being stranded south of the river due to a 6" coating of the white stuff (sometimes it's embarrassing being a Londoner!) I set off for another trip to the London Wetlands Centre.

It was nice and quiet for a change, I probably saw no more than 20 people for the entire day and not long after arriving I spied a Bittern stumbling, almost drunkenly, from the reed bed. It was a lot easier to see today, although a fair old distance away so the resulting pictures have been cropped rather savagely. I returned to the hide a few times over the afternoon and it was there all day.
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG
They really are clumsy when active. For a bird that spends its entire life in a reed bed you'd expect them to be a bit nimble when navigating the terrain but this one seemed to be able to trip over nearly every stem it passed :lol:

There was quite a bit of activity elsewhere, here we have some synchronized Swan butts:
IMG_0034.JPG
and here's some Shelducks with a Pintail Drakes butt in the background, perfectly expression the origin of his common name!
IMG_0181.JPG
A large frock of Cormorant took off from one of the Islands at one point, almost darkening the sky as the flew over
IMG_0054.JPG
and small numbers of Lapwing were putting on an excellent aerial display
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG
The comedy relief for the day came from a very angry Coot who was most perturbed when a number of Shoveler found a good feeding spot in the middle of his territory
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
This too was going on for most the time I was there. In the end it just looked like the Shoveler were just winding him up on purpose :lol: I made a few more GIF's :D
Angry Coot gif 1.gif
angry Coot gif 2.gif
Angry Coot gif 3.gif
Amongst the flocks of Gulls one stood out as slightly unusual. Unfortunately it stayed far out so all I could get were a few heavily cropped images. It was about Herring gull sized but had a black bar near the tip of it's bill... anyone have any ideas? I was thinking Ring-billed Gull... :?
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
I'll end with some more exotica, some Falcated Teal, a far eastern Asian species.
IMG_0145.JPG
Surely there cant be more than a few weeks left before I can return to butterfly pictures :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots Bugboy :D Those Falcated Teal are stunning birds 8) I reckon your gull is either a 3rd winter Less-black Back or a 3rd winter Herring Gull. Ring-bills are only slightly bigger than Common Gulls but noticeably smaller than Herring Gulls, plus a lot of different species have rings and dark blobs at the end of their bills during the winter and the bill looks really heavy and substantial - Common and Ring-billed are more pointy and stabby :? :wink: That's my tuppence for what it's worth :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:More great shots Bugboy :D Those Falcated Teal are stunning birds 8) I reckon your gull is either a 3rd winter Less-black Back or a 3rd winter Herring Gull. Ring-bills are only slightly bigger than Common Gulls but noticeably smaller than Herring Gulls, plus a lot of different species have rings and dark blobs at the end of their bills during the winter and the bill looks really heavy and substantial - Common and Ring-billed are more pointy and stabby :? :wink: That's my tuppence for what it's worth :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel. As far as size is concerned it's a bit tentative since it was so far away. Through my bins it certainly looked adult, I couldn't make out any Juv feathers on the back or wings and I've been looking at images on google of Ring Bills, focusing on the wing tip pattern which does seem close to this bird with just the one 'mirror'... I'm no expert though :?

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I did some checking for you on the Wetlands Centre sightings page and your gull is a Caspian Gull :mrgreen: Hence the robust looking bill and why I suggested Herring ( I was following the usually useful advice of 'if in doubt go with the commoner species :wink: ). I've not seen one of those you jammy Bugboy :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”