Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by millerd »

It's obviously still worth a visit or two, Buggy - nice shots. Even some fresh-looking ones as well. :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Pauline and Dave, yes still worth a visit for a week or so yet I think :)

20th August, Denbies Jewels

After a lie in and catching up on a few essential chores I managed a few hours down on Denbies hoping the Adonis had started emerging properly. Arriving at around 2, I had the usual Denbies breeze to contend with but my spirits were lifted when I passed a group of three photographers just through the gate who had found a fresh male. I left them to it, confident that if they were this far up the hillside then I shouldn't have to look very hard. A bit further on I noticed a familiar figure walking towards me, Millerd! Dave's become a bit like a bus, not big, red and with two floors, but we've missed each other all season then bump into each other 3 times in quick succession! He'd been here most the day and was just leaving but I found out that the target was indeed out in good numbers and mostly freshly emerged.

As promised it didn't take long for electric blue jewels to start catching my eye, even older specimens still looking vibrant :) .
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
I spent about 2 hours wandering the hillside and in the bright cloudy conditions they shone like beacons in the grass. I saw many a fresh animal still expelling miconium as the basked trying to get warm enough for a maiden flight.
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG
Chalkhills were still on the wing making finding females tricky but I managed two definite female Adonis.
Chalkhill female
Chalkhill female
IMG_0077.JPG
Adonis female
Adonis female
Adonis female
Adonis female
A fair few Silver-spotted Skipper were on the wing, making use of the paths to keep warm as the clouds slowly thickened.
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
This male had a few issues emerging but could still, remarkably, fly well enough to get around.
IMG_0055.JPG
The same couldn't be said for this Skipper though, I popped her on a stemless thistle where she immediately began feeding. Perhaps a male will find her and she'll be able to lay a few eggs?
IMG_0105.JPG
I wonder if the recent strong winds have had an impact on emerging butterflies?

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

You found some lovely Adonis after I left you, Buggy - great shots that certainly capture their glorious colour. :) Not sure I can compete... :wink:

I thought they must still be still emerging, but you've confirmed it. I think the weather has drawn the process out.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:..I wonder if the recent strong winds have had an impact on emerging butterflies?
I'm sure it doesn't help, Bugboy, particularly if there is heavy rain around too.

Thanks for that glorious sequence of electric blue. The good old Adonis really does lift our spirits at this time of year.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Dave and David, I'm glad they've finally started to emerge here, I saw the first second brood male here back on the 23rd July, almost a month ago!

22nd August, Bookham

I was looking forward to my day off this week, there was an alleged brief return to summer with blue sky and temperatures in the mid-20s predicted. By Tuesday morning though these dreams had evaporated to a promise of some breaks in the cloud at some point during the day. This too never really happened so I was at Bookham hoping rather than expecting to add to my seasons tally of Brown Hairstreak. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be, they got one over on me this time. Nevertheless, there was ample compensation.

On the way I’d stopped off to have a look at the Small Copper eggs I’d found a week or so ago. There was some feeding damage but upon investigation I only found some imposters, several Sawfly larvae and no Coppers. I have no idea whether they would out compete or even eat the Copper cats. I shall keep an eye on any developments.
IMG_0002.JPG
Speckled Wood continue to emerge and seemed to be enjoying the muggy, cloudy weather.
IMG_0034.JPG
There were still a few Gatekeepers hanging on and some Meadow Browns were still looking reasonably fresh, but it was some other fresh emergent that caught my attention today. The female Brimstone (probably the same one as last time), was feeding in the same spot and was today joined by an immaculate Red Admiral and a nearly so Comma.
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
Joining these were several fresh Green-veined Whites.
IMG_0068.JPG
During the few hours when the Hairstreaks supposedly take a siesta I went to have a look at the White Admiral cats, on the way finding a rather old female Holly Blue.
IMG_0081.JPG
I found the third instar one from last time easily enough although I can't work out whether he's fixing his leaf ready to make a hibernaculum or making a silk pad for moulting, he seems to have done both. The thoracic segments do look slightly swollen as though moulting may be on the way? It'll be at least a week until I can visit again so I should be able to find out what happened as long as he avoids all the hungry Tits!
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
I also relocated another one, not sure if it's a large second instar or young third.
IMG_0085.JPG
The egg from last time was still intact.

I returned back to Banks common, hoping to find something orange and brown. It had started to brighten up a bit but that was short lived and merely gave me false hope. All the fresh emergent were still feeding on the same clumps of mint and fleabane though, hopefully a sign of a final flourish to the season.
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
It was during this brief bright spell that I witnessed a Hornet (there are loads here) effortlessly pluck a Gatekeeper from mid-air and quickly dismember it ready to take back to the nest to feed to the hungry grubs. It was very quick and by the time I managed to get my camera on them two wings had already been snipped off. Gruesome but fascinating to watch. After only a couple of minutes all that was left of the unfortunate butterfly was a chewed up pulpy body.
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
Brown Hairstreak 1 - Bugboy 0 (Agg score 2-11)
Last edited by bugboy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Nice mix of images there, Bugboy. I particularly like the first Green Veined White.

For your hornet/hedge brown pics, is the hornet in mid-air or is it holding onto something? It looks like there's some appendage connected to the thistle leaf.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:....For your hornet/hedge brown pics, is the hornet in mid-air or is it holding onto something? It looks like there's some appendage connected to the thistle leaf.
Thanks David. The hornet is hanging by one hind leg and uses the other five to manipulate her prey. It's not the first time I've witnessed this, I meant to post these pictures a couple of weeks ago taken again at Bookham whilst after Hairstreaks.
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
It really shows just how big they are compared to their smaller cousins. All unnecessary parts are removed, wings legs and abdomen in this case. The high protein contents of the thorax (where the flight muscles are housed) is the primary target.

I also saw one capture a bumble Bee on Box Hill a few years ago, again hanging by the one hind leg.

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for that, Bugboy. Fascinating stuff. It's amazing how they can suspend their entire body with one leg whilst transforming an insect body into a compact ready-to-eat bundle.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Indeed it is David, nature will never cease to amaze me :)

25th August

Today was a beautiful day to go butterflying…… I was at work though, but I finished at 4 so I was able to nip out to the Marshes for a bit to catch a few butterflies before they all went to bed.

The commonest butterfly were Meadow Browns, varying from somewhat haggard to very fresh.
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
I also found one that was almost missing pupils in the eye spots, I only managed one shot though, she was a bit camera shy,
IMG_0024.JPG
There were several Whites patrolling, Large and Small identified but Green-veined almost certainly present as well.
A handful of Common Blues were found, mostly impossible to pin down but a couple of females sat for me, the latter of the two a particularly attractive fresh one.
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
Also catching my eye were lots of Latticed Heath including this ‘fresh out the box’ individual.
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
It was only half an hour but it was worth it :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

Fascinating sequences with the hornets, Buggy. :) I saw one dismember a Small Tortoiseshell many years ago, and I've seen wasps do similar things to butterflies too. Amazing insects.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of images recently Bugboy and those Hornet behaviour shots are great, I didn't know that they'd go for butterflies but they're just another predator that butterflies have to face. I watched one the other day and it flew round eyeing each bee almost as if it was working out whether the individual would be worth 'coping' with before moving onto and sizing up another potential victim. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A friend had just called to tell me she'd seen and photographed a Hornet dismembering and eating a large fresh Red Admiral - in a garden centre - when I saw your shots Buggy. I've had them in the garden before (a nest :roll: ) and it's amazing how quick they can demolish apples off the tree too. You must have been quick off the mark to get such shots :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Bug boy we don't seem to get many Hornets here, well I've not seen many, unless they call Hornets Horse Fly's around here and we get them at Arnside and GB :D Goldie :D

kevling

Post by kevling »

Buggy,

A little late catching up with the diaries this week. Love those Adonis Blues from Denbies, they're stunning electric blue colour takes your breath away.

Regards Kev

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for all the comments concerning the Hornets. I'm amazed there's any insect life left at all at Bookham, they really are everywhere!
Goldie M wrote:Great shots Bug boy we don't seem to get many Hornets here, well I've not seen many, unless they call Hornets Horse Fly's around here and we get them at Arnside and GB :D Goldie :D
I'm not sure they are found as far north as you yet Goldie. I know they are spreading north though like many of our butterflies so they are probably not far off from colonising your part of the world :)
kevling wrote:Buggy,

A little late catching up with the diaries this week. Love those Adonis Blues from Denbies, they're stunning electric blue colour takes your breath away.

Regards Kev
Thanks Kev, bright cloudy conditions really do make them glow!

Work

A glorious couple of days was spent at work this weekend. I did however manage to fit in my transects and checking on the Common Blue egg I saw being laid a couple of weeks ago I found it had hatched, very recently :)
IMG_0004.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Queen of Spain in Sussex, day off next week !. Go for it Paul, go for it !.
I'm always thrilled to find them in France.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

trevor wrote:Queen of Spain in Sussex, day off next week !. Go for it Paul, go for it !.
I'm always thrilled to find them in France.
:lol: an early night for a crack of dawn start has already been planned Trevor :wink:

28th August, The Marshes

A sunny bank holiday Monday means only one thing on my local patch, too many people :(. So although I finished at 12 today I didn't pop out with my camera until early evening, when most of them would hopefully have moved on to the local pubs. The Sky by then had turned a bit milky but it did give me some wonderful colour saturation for what was still active. Small Whites have really recovered locally since the spring, double figures were seen this evening and mostly quite fresh. Only one settled long enough for a picture though, a female trying to avoid an amorous male.
IMG_0001.JPG
I found a Green-veined playing peek-a-boo around some Michelmous Daisies.
IMG_0010.JPG
The late flush of Meadow Browns is still emerging, mostly females were disturbed plus two mating pairs. I followed one pair for a bit and was rewarded when the female opened her wings, a real stunner by Meadow Brown standards. :)
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
No Common Blues today but I'm sure I was being watched by them somewhere!

Fingers crossed tomorrows day out comes up with the goods :wink:

millerd

Post by millerd »

Good luck for tomorrow, Buggy! :) :mrgreen: (I have to go to Cardiff... :( )

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

That's a beautifully marked Meadow Brown female, Bugboy, very like the ones in the south of France.

Good luck with the QoStomorrow. I'd love this butterfly to establish itself here....it has to be one of the likeliest contenders!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Bon chances with the Queen tomorrow Bugboy, from reading Neil's report you've just to turn up and they're there :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”