Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Bugboy, you've always got a great range of Butterflies which I enjoy in your posts and envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pauline wrote:Your diary is always of interest Buggy. I am impressed at you finding PH larva in the wild - something I have not yet managed despite having a colony in the garden. Happy I was able to help tho and reassuring to see it at the same stage as my captive ones. If you visit again before it pupates I'd love to hear about it as they don't seem to move far.
Thanks Pauline :). Had I not found the egg over the winter though I wouldn't have known where to start. Even so it took me ages to find it, even though it was in plain sight! I do hope to visit again before it pupates.

Thanks Wurzel, David and Dave it turned into a very productive afternoon :)
Goldie M wrote:Hi! Bugboy, you've always got a great range of Butterflies which I enjoy in your posts and envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D
You've got you're fair share up north too Goldie, I'm sure I'll be sending you a few Mrgreens your way in the coming months :)

15the May, Local patch

I was half day today but since it was particularly wet and grey I spent most the afternoon at the cinema. However when I left things seemed to be clearing up a little bit, not exactly sunny but perhaps worth an hours wander. Although I found nothing with wings I did check on the Orange-tip cat that I found on Rape, it seems to be doing rather well and so does a friend close by.
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
It's interesting that they seem to be favouring the newly developed seed pods rather than the plumper ones further down the stem.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

16th May, Denbies

This week’s weather didn’t look too promising at all but I decided to risk a trip to see the Adonis, and hopefully some Brown Argus, on Denbies Hillside. It seemed to be touch and go as to whether I was going to get drenched or not but It hadn’t rained by the time I got to the hillside a little before 10 and the clouds were beginning to break. It was however, rather windy, windier than the average Denbies day in fact.

A few Dingy Skippers and Small Heath were active on arrival, getting battered in the wind but I couldn’t find any Green Hairstreaks, most likely hunkered down somewhere safe.

Moving out onto the hillside proper I began to get a bad feeling, the wind was gusting very strongly across the valley and even though the sun was beginning to appear and warm the air, what was flying was mostly being whipped past me or being blown ragged and dumped in the turf. Just when I was thinking my luck was out though, one of the things getting unceremoniously dumped in the turf was blue! He was doing his best to go about his business though.
IMG_0012.JPG
A few minutes later another one got blown past, this time a brighter blue, at last :) . Like the Common, he was doing his best in the adverse conditions too.
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
After him they started to appear with increasing regularity, usually from under my feet, the wind forcing them to bask down in the turf so I didn’t see most of them until it was too late. Overall though, dogged determination succeeded in getting better results than I was expecting from the dozen or so males I managed to see.
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
I also came across a beautiful female Common Blue, and I wasn’t her only admirer, a male Adonis thought her equally beautiful and spent a fair time gazing longingly at her whilst she fed before chasing after her when she moved on :roll: .
IMG_0094.JPG
I managed a couple of female Adonis too, both beautiful ladies.
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
I wish all Adonis females had that much blue scaling around the lunules, it would make things so much easier in their second brood, sifting them out of the Chalkhill ladies!

And then a mating pair of Common’s.
IMG_0148.JPG
It was at this point that I met up with my Chauffeur for the rest of the day, Susie. Before leaving for the next port of call we had another look for Green Hairstreak, finding two who weren’t particularly cooperative and loads of Rose Chafers.
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
A Male Brimstone stopped by and posed for me whilst Susie was otherwise occupied
IMG_0154.JPG
then we moved to a more sheltered spot lower down the slope for one final search. A single Grizzled flew past, the only one I saw, a female Green Hairstreak darted around and finally I got my second target of the day, a couple of Brown Argus taking my year’s total to an impressive 25 species!
IMG_0184.JPG
One thing I will say, the recent rain has done the world of good to the site. The ground still looks a little on the dry side but it looks significantly greener than my previous visits this year. Fingers crossed it's enough to feed the summer generations that are currently munching their way towards pupation!

It was gone 11 now and time to head off to look for species number 26…

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

16th May, Part 2

So where to next? Well the time had come to tick off another lifer, the destination, Chiddingfold Wood. Target? Well obviously Wood Whites. I had intended to visit last year but since the wood seems to occupy some sort of public transport black hole and the ‘Weather God's’ failed to align up with the ‘Time Off From Work Gods’ Susie was unable to help me get there last year. We'd debated all week about today but in the end we just decided to take the plunge and risk it.

Over the past few years I've read countless reports about this legendary place, the fabled 'Botany Bay Entrance' and whispers about a 'Triangle' where these little butterflies lurk, so I was quite excited about finally being here. The weather seemed to be on our side too with plenty of sunny intervals to keep them active but not too active, and being woodland, the wind wasn’t going to be much of a problem.

With Susie leading the way we wandered down the path and it didn’t take long for Susie to spot one up ahead, a wanderer from the main hotspot. I took a few record shots of my first Wood White on British soil :) (I saw a few in Slovenia many years ago) and then moved on, Susie promising me there would be plenty more.
IMG_0188.JPG
True to her word more did appear, the first batch seeming to favour the shady half of the path so didn’t give me many photographic opportunities but after that they were mainly on the sunny side, flopping around like little drunk fairies without a care for our presence.
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG
We spent about an hour and a half here in the end and I managed to get the full Wood White experience: plenty of egg laying females,
IMG_0253.JPG
several courting pairs
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
and a mating pair being harassed.
IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
Seeing the courtship made my day, I’ve read about it and seen pictures but watching the male flick his head from side to side as he whips his chosen lady with his tongue is quite a bizarre and comical thing to see :D .

There were other butterflies around, a couple of Peacock, a Speckled Wood, a Green-veined White, a Red Admiral and several Brimstone were active, of them though only a courting pair of Brimstone drew my camera away from the Wood Whites, he was VERY persistant!
IMG_0312.JPG
And on the return trip I was very chuffed with a Speckled Yellow posing well for me in a sea of Speedwell.
IMG_0365.JPG
All in all a exceedingly good day was had in lovely company, thank you Susie, only a year late :wink:

Susie

Post by Susie »

Lovely photos, Buggy. I'll ignore that last comment of yours, cheeky s*d! :lol:

David M

Post by David M »

You sure soaked it all up, Bugboy. I daresay the level of satisfaction was all the higher for having waited so long?

millerd

Post by millerd »

They are a lovely butterfly, Buggy and unique in their behaviour. When you see their little courtship ritual for real for the first time, it's hard to believe. A splendid set of photos as well! :)

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Well done in finally seeing the English Wood Whites, Bugboy, and some nice photos too. Also great that you found the Chiltern Dukes and of course the Adonis Blues at Denbies :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of shots Buggy :D :mrgreen: They are probably the most ethereal of the British butterflies and you've certainly captured some of their waif like qualities :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thank you all, they certainly lived up to their reputation of just flopping around nonchalantly, minding their own business and not at all bothered by your presence :)

22nd May, Dukes and stuff (Part 1)

Well it was another half day so another afternoon spent with minor royalty. It was definitely warmer than previous visits this year with Brimstones and Orange-tips active on the walk, not stopping for anyone, but then neither was I.

I got to Ivinghoe Beacon at around 2 to find not too much activity on the Duke front. I spent an hour and half exploring the hot spots but was left feeling a little disappointed (which is silly really considering only two years ago I was over the moon at finding one), finding just six or so Dukes and a couple of Duchesses. Admittedly I was a bit late to the day’s party, I'm sure there were many more active earlier in the day.. I think part of the disappointment was due to the challenging photography conditions, the brisk breeze was coming from just the right/wrong angle to whistle along the normally sheltered gullies and added to this there was a fair bit of thermoregulation going on due to hot sun, so I'm quite surprised I managed to achieve what I did in the end.
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
Mixed in with the Dukes were a few Brown Argus, some looking very handsome and worthy of my attention and one with rather pale forewing lunules, ab maybe?
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
Note the pale forewing lunules.
Note the pale forewing lunules.
Other species that popped by included a single Peacock, a Red Admiral, an orange-tip and a couple of Brimstone. Dingy Skippers caused several false Duke alarms but a fresh Grizzled will always draw my attention. I was surprised not to come across any Small Blues though.
IMG_0175.JPG
Breaking up the Duke watching were some Green Hairstreaks which proved to be almost impossible to get snaps of. Nearly always settling in the most awkward positions, mostly on the ground mud puddling but almost every time with the sun in my face with the narrow path making it impossible to get the right side of them.
IMG_0060.JPG
By half 3 I decided to call it a day for the Dukes and turned my attention to a more leisurely wander back to Aldbury, things were far from over for the day though…

millerd

Post by millerd »

That Brown Argus is unusual, Buggy. Was it symmetrical? Funnily enough I've never managed to photograph a Green Hairstreak at Ivinghoe - as you say, they are never in the right position. A nice set of Dukes, though, and I'm looking forward to what appeared on Pitstone Hill and over to Aldbury... :)

Dave

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Nice Dukes, I am hoping to be at Ivinghoe tomorrow for my annual pilgrimage. And then to a secret small blue hotspot (well secret to me as I can never find it on my own). I look forward to the next bit.... :D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote:That Brown Argus is unusual, Buggy. Was it symmetrical? Funnily enough I've never managed to photograph a Green Hairstreak at Ivinghoe - as you say, they are never in the right position. A nice set of Dukes, though, and I'm looking forward to what appeared on Pitstone Hill and over to Aldbury... :)

Dave
I'm not sure dave, I only managed pictures from that angle before I lost him.
Art Frames wrote:Nice Dukes, I am hoping to be at Ivinghoe tomorrow for my annual pilgrimage. And then to a secret small blue hotspot (well secret to me as I can never find it on my own). I look forward to the next bit.... :D
Thanks peter, I hope you had luck with them, if anything this weather is probably too hot for them so I hope you got there early before they started hiding from the sun!

22nd May, Dukes and stuff (Part 2)

I decided to take the scenic route back, going around the edge of Pitstone Hill where it was somewhat sheltered from the breeze. Being carpeted with Rockrose, it's no surprise to find Brown Argus in good numbers here. Amongst them were a smattering of Common Blue who seem to be having a much better year than last year.
I focused on one male, who in flight at least looked particular fresh and followed him around. He settled regularly to feed but at first refused to sit right for me or open his wings. When he did finally pose for me I got a shock. My first thought on seeing the thick dark border to the wings was "Christ, bit early for Silver Studded!" She has to be the bluest female Common Blue I've ever seen. I followed her around for some time as she posed perfectly for me.
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
She alone made the trip worthwhile, what an absolute stunner :D !

A few minutes later a Green Hairstreak fluttered past. She was much more cooperative than the ones over at the beacon and sat patiently whilst I positioned myself fpr a close up.
IMG_0355.JPG
Leaving her alone I moved along just a few steps to find more Hairstreaks, and then more! It was much like the Hawthorn 'master tree' at Denbies only this colony had taken up residence over several young Hawthorn shrubs, each one seemed to have its own resident male who was defended it with vigour against any interloper. Needless to say, I spent a bit of time watching and photographing them.
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
It was gone 5 by the time I managed to tear myself away from them.

Not a great deal was going on at Aldbury Nowers, whether it was too late in the day or its having a poor year I don’t know. Still no sign of Small Blue here, and slightly more worrying no sign of the kidney Vetch I was photographing eggs on last year. A few Common Blues were about, genuine males this time.
IMG_0461.JPG
And the final butterfly of the day was this Snoozing Grizzled Skipper who must have only recently settled down, my attentions awoke her and she buzzed of to find a brighter patch to bask in the hazy evening sun
IMG_0482.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0511.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I would have commented on your Green Hairstreaks Buggy as you've got some really nice images there but that female Blue is incredible - surely has to be an ab. but gorgeous anyway. Never seen anything like it!

millerd

Post by millerd »

Definitely one of the most attractive female Common Blues I've ever seen - a veritable jewel! :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Dukes Buggy and that really is BLUE female common Blue :D :mrgreen: I don't think I've seen one where the blue continues right up to the edge of the hind wing like that - it could almost be the Irish race :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, she was an absolute stunner, even after finding he was a she, she still looked male in flight.

23rd May, Blues and Walls

This ‘week’s day off adventure’ took me down to Sussex again. The years first trip to Malling Down and then off to Wall Brown Alley.
Two years ago when I first visited Malling Down I was blown away by the amount of activity, I wasn’t used to this kind of butterfly density having done most of my butterflying in London until then. Last year, as with most sites, numbers were significantly lower and today there was very little going on at all. Having said all that I have only every explored the north side, around the old chalk works.
Today there were a few Dingy Skippers, Small Heath and Common Blues active, but not in numbers I had hoped for and pretty soon it clouded over sending most of them back to roost.
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
It was still quite early though, not even 10, so I took out my phone and looked on google maps to find the path that took me to the south side. On the way a passing male Wall taunted me, flying past but only settling just over the edge of the steep slopes, offering no more than a record shot or risk almost certain death in trying for anything more, pretty sure he was watching my every move, possibly with a smirk!

It felt a bit warmer on the southern slopes and hitting the steep parts, little blue jewels began appearing in the short turf. It was just warm enough to keep the Adonis active with plenty of males dotted amongst the Horseshoe Vetch, the bright cloudy light making them positively glow.
Getting a bit defensive over a rabbit dropping.
Getting a bit defensive over a rabbit dropping.
IMG_0116.JPG
I also managed to tick off Adonis in cop. I got the feeling the male was showing of his conquest with the female just quietly sitting there regretting her choice of males!
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
A few hours later I was down on the coast making my way to see if the Walls were still active. I wasn’t holding much hope though, it had descended to a rather cloudy and very windy afternoon with just the odd Common Blue active in the occasional sheltered spot.
IMG_0182.JPG
However arriving at Wall Brown Alley I was pleased to find it well sheltered from the wind and felt a good few degrees warmer, warm enough for several male Walls to be going about their activities, but not so warm as to make them unapproachable, perfect :D .
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
Also here was a very flighty Painted Lady and an ovipositing Red Admiral who seemed only able to find one small patch of nettle, there was about a dozen eggs dotted over a few favoured leaves.
IMG_0271.JPG
It slowly brightened up as the afternoon wore on and on the return walk back to Eastbourne Common Blues were living up to their name, joined for a few Small Copper.
IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
A slow start but it turned into a very pleasant day indeed :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

27th May, Bookham

I spent a few hours wandering around Bookham today but despite the warm conditions it was rather quiet. Last time I was here I found several caterpillars (none of which I was able to relocate today, probably dead or pupated), the Small Coppers had just started to emerge (the first gen seems to be all but over now) and Orange-tips were still active (none seen today although there are still eggs about).

The commonest butterfly today was the Common Blue with six or seven males seen.
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
Three or four tired looking Small Copper were active
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG
A few Speckled Wood
IMG_0070.JPG
And singletons of Peacock, Small Heath, Brimstone and Red Admiral.
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG
There were a few other inhabitants to keep me occupied, the wonderfully magnificent Longhorn Beetle, Agapanthia villosoviridescens (coincidentally also seen by Millerd today on his local patch)
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG
A tiny sparkling micro moth, Glyphipterix thrasonella
IMG_0039.JPG
I came across a couple of Buff-tips, a species I last saw when I was at school I think. I think they must have emerged last night and got stranded on the dock leaf. I moved them to a more suitable location, it was interesting how they both seemed to instinctively move to the edge of the broken stick.
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
Nearby I found a moth caterpillar munching on some Silver Birch, not sure what species yet as I have yet to delve into my books.
IMG_0230.JPG
And finally there were a few of these wonderful Froghoppers, Cercopis vulnerate, lurking in the undergrowth
IMG_0255.JPG
I have a feeling the June gap has arrived a week early this year :?

millerd

Post by millerd »

A good little selection, Buggy, but I know what you mean about the "gap" feeling. :) Strange you should get a shot of the same beetle species as I did, though they are pretty eye-catching with those spectacular antennae. :)

Dave

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

28th May, Hutchinson’s bank

With the very real risk of thunder and lightning this afternoon I decided to stay closer to home and see if I could catch an early Glanville. The muggy and intermittently sunny conditions seemed good for a sighting but all I got were a few reports of “one was possibly seen earlier” and “I’ve been here 2 hours and no sign of one”. There was an open day here and with so many eye’s all over the site, if one was posing well it should have been discovered.

Instead the butterfly of the day was the Small Blue, they were literally everywhere and easily numbered in the hundreds, far outnumbering the combined numbers of all other species seen. I’ve never seen them in such densities. Needless to say, I got to see a good range of behaviours and activities.
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG
Bottoms up!
Bottoms up!
IMG_0334.JPG
This female was desperately trying to lay as the male followed her round in circles.
This female was desperately trying to lay as the male followed her round in circles.
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0389.JPG
There were also several Green Hairstreak around, females looking to lay with Birds-foot Trefoil seeming to be the favoured LHP, although I never actually witnessed an egg being laid.
IMG_0348.JPG
Common Blues were probably second in numbers after their Small cousins and amongst the many males I found another exceedingly blue female.
IMG_0248.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
Brimstones were reasonably plentiful, both sexes stopping to feed regularly.
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0406.JPG
Other species seen were several Small Heath and Dingy Skippers
IMG_0364.JPG
I left as some dark clouds looked ominously close, stopping just long enough to find a male Brown Argus, a lone Peacock and some roosting Common Blues
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”