Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave, Wurzel & Goldie. That Clouded Yellow was easy to photograph, as it was too cold to fly.

Today, however, it was very warm. Even at 10.00 this morning it was 21c. and very breezy.
This posed the problem of where to go. I opted for the north side of High and Over, as the strong breeze
was coming from the south. In the sheltered spots I found several Speckled Woods and Red Admirals.
Also, most unusually for the time of year a female Brimstone was found fluttering around some Ivy,
then a male Brimstone flew past me, and a second female was seen from the car on the way home.
I imagine the very warm conditions had interrupted their hibernation.

No Wall Browns today.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1130613.JPG
P1130092.JPG
P1130593.JPG
A very boldly marked Speckly. more like a spring specimen.
A very boldly marked Speckly. more like a spring specimen.
Last edited by trevor on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

That sparkling fresh Speckled Wood is a surprise, Trev. As were your Brimstone sightings!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I saw a Brimstone on Monday afternoon as well Trevor, there must have been something in the air that day - smoke from Portugal? :? That is a lovely marked Specklie especially at this time of year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, glad your seeing Brimstones has well, mine's not been back after two visits, no wonder with the weather we've just had.
Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Good work Trevor, I especially like the Clouded Yellows, was pleased to see a couple in north Kent this year.
I was unaware of the different varieties, think I unknowingly took some pics of a Helice last year.
I'll put some up at some point.

David M

Post by David M »

Love the Specklie on the wooden background, Trevor and well done with the Brimstone. They're usually tucked-up for the winter by now.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today was the first occasion, courtesy of the weather, that I have been able to go out
Butterflying since the 16th of Oct.
The chosen location today was Mill Hill, where yesterday, Butterflying buddy Dave Cook
found an amazing array of species for the time of year.
Today was not quite so fruitful but we did see about six Clouded Yellows, and quite a few Red Admirals,
plus singles of Small Tortoiseshell, Wall, Peacock + two each of Speckled Wood and Comma.

I almost had to pinch myself as a reminder that we were seeing all this the day before the clocks go back !.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1130708.JPG
P1130717.JPG
P1130679.JPG
P1130646.JPG
P1130659.JPG
P1130650.JPG

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

A good haul Trevor, you're doing better than the South of France.
Chris

millerd

Post by millerd »

Those Cloudies go on forever down there, Trevor - great to see them. :) :mrgreen:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great haul Trevor- especially those Cloudies - and one ever so close to revealing the fore wings :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:I almost had to pinch myself as a reminder that we were seeing all this the day before the clocks go back..
I'm pinching myself as I read this, Trevor. That's a notable array of butterflies for late October and those Cloudies could well continue until after the first frost so keep persevering.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Good to know they are still around Trevor.
I've been looking back at your diary posts for this year (it's been a quiet week at work :D )
And wow what an amazing array of species seen and sights visited!
Loved the pics from France, that Scarce Copper was absolutly stunning.
And your Purple Emperor encounters were amazing!, I've only ever seen some in the air and have no photos.
This must be rectified next year!

Cheers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic to still be seeing so many species Trevor :D keep them coming they're making the year seem longer :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for your enthusiastic response.

After Mill Hill yesterday it was my original intention to call in at Shoreham Harbour on the way home.
As this would at best have been flying visit, I thought a dedicated visit today would be better.
I left home with a temperature of 9c, this had risen to 13c on arrival.
Upon descending the steps from the main road down to water level, three Clouded Yellows were flying together.
Two of these kept together for many minutes and landed several times a few inches apart. I thought a pairing
might take place, but this was not to be.
I was now very optimistic of a great day, three Cloudies on arrival. In the three hours or so of my visit about eight
Cloudies were seen, including one fresh specimen.
Despite a thorough search not a single Common Blue was found, indeed the only other species present ,
with three seen, was the Red Admiral .

Not a bad day for the last day of British Summertime.
Trevor.
P1130757.JPG
Attachments
P1130729.JPG
P1130745.JPG
P1130754.JPG
P1130774.JPG
P1130814.JPG
P1130831.JPG
P1130811.JPG
P1130762.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Splendid stuff, Trevor. Those Clouded Yellows look in pretty good condition, and as long as there's some more sunshine could well be November butterflies. I would hope that their location would have some shelter from the impending chilly blast. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's why I haven't seen a Cloudy this year Trevor - you're hogging them over your way :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Dave, my last Butterfly of 2016 was a Cloudie, on Nov. 18th.

Wurzel, you'd better head off to Bournemouth before it's too late !.

David M

Post by David M »

It must be wonderful to have these Cloudies to literally brighten the tail end of your season, Trevor?

It's such a delight to see them on other people's PDs, even if they're absent from my patch.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterflies Trevor, also lovely weather down there, absolutely horrible here yesterday, hope you keep seeing them. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

It always amazes me at this time of year how long the season extends for down there, much longer than my patch here in the midlands. Good to see you are making the most of it :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”