Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks David, Goldie & Neil,

It is amazing to me that the offspring of a warmth loving migrant, the Clouded Yellow,
can be found into November, near the coast, here in Sussex.

However there were just three Red Admirals for me today, two at High and Over,
and one on the trunk of an Oak at the bottom of my garden.
The two at High and Over were seen with a temperature of only 7c, it was draughty up there !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1130846.JPG
P1130850.JPG
P1130859.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'll try Trevor - but it's persuading the family/girls that a trip to the seaside in November is a good idea :? :roll: Good to see the Red Admirals still hanging about though for how much longer I'm sure...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

The quandary I was in, this morning of promising weather,was where to go on November 1st.
I settled for Shoreham Harbour, as other regular sites are now dwindling, and Shoreham
has come up with the goods, at this time of year, in the past.
My first Butterfly, a Clouded Yellow, was found after about 20 mins. After several shots,
a couple of other hopefuls came over to see the basking Clouded Yellow.
It turned out that I was chatting to our very own Essex Buzzard and his good Lady, who
had travelled over from Kent. Good to meet you both, and I know you had a great day.
Later Dave Cook turned up, along with a second Clouded Yellow, and a Small Tortoiseshell.
At least four Red Admirals were seen on some Ivy which was still in blossom.
The big surprise came in the afternoon( after Mark had left for Mill Hill) in the form of a
male Holly Blue, the first one I've seen at this site.
A Comma was seen but was too quick for my camera. We also found a Silver Y Moth,
and saw a flyby ' White '

Trevor.
Attachments
A view from Shoreham Harbour, looking towards Brighton.
A view from Shoreham Harbour, looking towards Brighton.
P1130926.JPG
P1130921.JPG
P1130878.JPG
P1130885.JPG
P1130893.JPG
P1130882.JPG
P1130898.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's great set of species from down on the south coast, Trevor. Long may the Clouded Yellows continue! Good to see that there are still Holly Blues to be found in spots away from round my back yard as well. :)

Dave

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

The Holly Blue was a great find, something to look out for in the future there!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hmmm, looks like the place was chock full of sleeping butterflies yesterday :mrgreen:. I think you should start up a transect on that little stretch of greenery Trevor, it would certainly be one of the easiest transects to do, one 10 minute straight line!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic November haul Trevor :D :mrgreen: And with that Holly Blue it could almost have been a 'Millerd posting :wink: '

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Holly Blues and Clouded Yellows in November! This year is seemingly intent on saving the best till last!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

You're still delivering Trevor :D
Great stuff.

Cheers

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks for all your comments folks.

More November Butterflies.
Early this afternoon I popped up to High and Over. Very near the car park I found a basking
Red Admiral, which was sent up several times by a lively Speckled Wood, but always returned to
the same favoured basking spot.
A full 30 mins. later I discovered the freshest, and very large Painted Lady seeking the few
nectar sources on offer. This was one of the largest Butterflies I have ever seen !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1130972.JPG
P1130951.JPG
P1130950.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That Painted Lady is a great find - do you think she emerged in the sunshine of the last couple of days? It must have been sheltered - they are very susceptible to cold. Time to head south... :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave,
I think there is every chance of that Painted Lady being a November Butterfly.
If you click on the image to enlarge it, you will see that the wing fringe hair is virtually intact.
Hopefully if it is warm enough today, it will head south.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

We did indeed have a great November day, Trev! Nice to meet you, and thanks for showing us the first Clouded Yellow. And wow, a Holly Blue? That earns you a :mrgreen:

trevor

Post by trevor »

After a heavy overnight frost, the morning dawned bright and clear.
The Moon at 08,15 was particularly clear, here in Wiltshire.
The grounds of the Bell Inn provided the first of six Red Admirals, as the sun gained strength.
This one was found, taking a great interest in a patch of Stinging nettles.
I then went up to the Church yard, where two more Red Admirals used some grave stones
for basking, these being in direct sunshine.
The other three Red Admirals spotted were in flight and non stop.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1130973.JPG
P1130988.JPG
P1130997.JPG
P1140008.JPG
A reminder of the time of year fast approaching.
A reminder of the time of year fast approaching.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I think Red Admirals must be immune to frost, Trevor. They go on forever. :)

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Funnily enough, I think butterflies are immune to frost. Think of those species which fly in April and early May - Orange Tip for example-when temperatures often drop below freezing.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some great stuff recently Trevor - it's been hard to keep up (as work is a little bit hectic) which is something I wouldn't have expected in November :D :mrgreen: Good to see the Church still providing the goods.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I'd love to know where these Red Admirals spend the night. What kind of tolerance do they have for low overnight temperatures?

trevor

Post by trevor »

The weather forecast for today mentioned sunshine and a possible 14c. Not a day to stay at home !.
With few sites still performing, my choice was somewhat confined, so I chose Shoreham harbour
and Mill Hill.
At Shoreham it was sunny with some threatening cloud, and quite breezy. In all five Red Admirals
were found, all showing wear. One unexpected sighting was of a Humming Bird Hawk Moth flitting
between some Honeysuckle flowers.
In a two hour visit no Clouded Yellows were seen, it looks as though they have finished at Shoreham.

On to Mill Hill, where I met Dave Cook. Here it really was breezy, with not a lot about, exceopt
for a real surprise, my first ever November Meadow Brown, and not in bad condition.

Trevor.
Attachments
A view of the harbour looking west, the huge chimney is a dominant landmark, and can be seen for miles around.
A view of the harbour looking west, the huge chimney is a dominant landmark, and can be seen for miles around.
This Egret made a fine sight.
This Egret made a fine sight.
P1140054.JPG
P1140036.JPG
P1140065.JPG
P1140066.JPG

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Blimey Trevor !! A November Meadow Brown ,and fresh at that ........Amazing, great find .
Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Personal Diaries”