Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Trevor

Post by millerd »

That Meadow Brown is an extraordinary find, Trevor. :)

It looks fresh enough to have emerged this month, and I really cannot see how this can still be part of the same single generation that started back in May. Surely this has to be a second brood - otherwise this individual was a caterpillar throughout last winter, pupating at some point between spring and just a few weeks ago, therefore spending pretty well a whole year over these two stages of its life. Maybe that is what has happened, but it does seem unlikely.

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Impressive Meadow Brown sighting :mrgreen: . I wonder how many of those Red Admirals I saw the other day, almost certainly the same gang!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

I said that the Meadow Brown was a surprise, it was actually more of a shock.
Almost certainly a one off oddity. Last year at this time it was fresh male Common Blues.
The natural world never fails to surprise.

John W

Post by John W »

trevor wrote: On to Mill Hill, where I met Dave Cook. Here it really was breezy, with not a lot about, exceopt
for a real surprise, my first ever November Meadow Brown, and not in bad condition.
I have seen a nice fresh one in late October before (23/10/2011) but never as late as November!
mb-23-10-2011 - 1.jpg
Cheers
John

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wow, a fresh Meadow Brown in November is staggering! It certainly trumps my October sighting!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a very notable find Trevor :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It looks so fresh as well it must have just emerged, you're spot on about the natural world.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

THE FAT LADY SINGS.
That Meadow Brown was hardly a typical end of season Butterfly ( I am pleased it brought some enjoyment ).
Indeed it could possibly have been my last Butterfly of the year. The weather and shorter days are making
Butterfly trips less and less worthwhile. If we do get a few mild, sunny days in the next week or two, then
I may make a local trip out.
For me at least 2017 has turned out to be a great year, everything I set out to see was seen.

Remarkably, I had four ' firsts ' this year, two new species and two of the ' other sex' which have eluded
me over the years.

In date order are my four ' firsts.

15/6 Large Blue , Collard Hill. ( New species ).

26/6 Purple Hairstreak ( female ) East Blean woods, Kent ( First decent photo opp ).

1/7 Female Purple Emperor. Chiddingfold forest, ( First grounded female ).

21/7 Male Brown Hairstreak. Knepp estate ( First male Brown Hairstreak ).

Trevor.
Attachments
P1080374.JPG
P1090018.JPG
P1090354.JPG
P1100511.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some mouthwatering shots there Trevor- 2017 was certainly kind to you :D :mrgreen: Here’s hoping 2018 is just as fruitful :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That Purple Hairstreak is to die for, Trevor. What a superb moment that must have been for you.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Magical stuff Trevor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Cheers

David M

Post by David M »

Andrew555 wrote:Magical stuff Trevor
Isn't it just, Andrew? Probably my favourite image of the year!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I would walk over hot coals to get a Purple Hairstreak picture like that! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and :mrgreen:

millerd

Post by millerd »

The Purple Hairstreak inspires the most :mrgreen: in me too, Trevor. I disturbed no less than three grounded PH this year without seeing them first...
:( - but that's a great shot. :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone, I am glad the Purple Hairstreak has brought some enjoyment,and
many mrgreens. This was one of the stranger occurances of 2017. That day we founds several
PH low down, and a few days later I found a few more in Abbots wood, close to home.
At the time I though I had something exclusive in the bag, but within a week or so many
people were publishing images of PH low down, something rarely seen.
I briefly met Matthew Oates at Knepp, and I asked him why so many PH were being reported
low down as opposed to their more usual haunts high up in an Oak.
His answer was quite simple. The dry weather meant that there was very little honeydew
on the Oak leaves, and this had forced feeding PH to seek sustenance elsewhere.

Trevor.

PS. Dave, you will have to tread more carefully next year ! :lol: .

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, fantastic shots you've got there :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D I was in East Blean Woods myself this year and also saw the Purple Hair Streak but my shots were all closed wings :( I've been there for a few years now and it was the very first time I've seen them in the woods there ,so it was a lucky year for me has well in that respect.Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

I have found three more images of that female Purple Hairstreak.
The first one is the only closed wing shot from that day. After taking it I moved to
one side to allow Doug to get some shots, While waiting for him to finish she opened up !.
I could hardly believe my eyes, a displaying, pristine PH only two ft. away.

The other two shots, taken at a slight angle, perhaps show the purple sheen better
than the square on image.
I shall be looking down rather than up for them next season !. :lol:

Trevor.
Attachments
P1090055.JPG
P1090063.JPG
P1090064.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Trevor - that second one in particular is dazzling :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Again, lovely shots Trevor, bringing back Great memories of Summer :D Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

I am wondering if someone can identify these Birds for me.
They were circling high up rather in the manner of Buzzards, about five of them.
It occurred to me that they could be Gulls, but their behaviour was such that I
had to in and grab the camera.

Thanks in advance,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1140080.JPG
P1140074.JPG

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Trevor ,
Look like Herring Gulls to me ,watched several acting similarly to yours this lunch time ,they all got rather agitated (and vocal !) when a Buzzard flew through. Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Personal Diaries”