Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Trevor

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:Today I saw a festive, end of year Small Tortoiseshell !.
It was on a bedroom carpet at the Bell Inn. I first thought it was dead,
but as I picked it up it fluttered back to the carpet.
I'm sure there are many thousands seen in just such a situation, Trevor. Butterflies must find houses and outbuildings irresistible from late autumn onwards.

Wishing you all the best for 2018.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Today's gale promised some spectacular seas.
The following images were taken at Tide Mills, looking towards Newhaven harbour arm.
Is there a Butterfly connection ?, well yes, at a more favourable time of year Clouded Yellows
fly exactly where I was standing !. Incidentally all images were taken in colour.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1140161.JPG
P1140162.JPG
P1140145.JPG
P1140166.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some excellent stormy seascapes, there Trevor. :) It's been some years since I lived in Dover, but I still miss the sea when I see views like these.

Happy New Year, by the way!

Dave

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just trying to catch up Trevor, Happy New Year! Wow! great shots of the Storm you were brave to be out in that weather. Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots Trevor, spectacular stuff. :)
Cheers

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning a party of three, lead by Neil Hulme, descended on Park Corner Heath
for a tree felling session, in what can only be described as perfect weather for January.
The sky was blue, the sun shone and it was mild with no breeze.
Work was concentrated near the visitors hut, with Neil and his chain saw felling the
larger trees, while we used loppers and handsaws on the smaller saplings.
The hard work involved dragging the sawn up trees to a nearby heap.
No burning took place today.

As if to emphasise the Spring like weather today, some Snowdrops were out in my garden !.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1330720.JPG
Going, going..........
Going, going..........
Gone !.
Gone !.
P1330730.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Ah, a trio of you engaged in this worthwhile activity, Trevor.

That would be tree fellers then...

Dave
(sorry...)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As I read through I was thinking 'Tree fellers', 'Tree Fellers' but Dave beat me to it :roll: of which I'm sure is a case of great minds... :lol: Sterling work there Trevor et al :D
Snowdrops already :shock: Next thing it'll be Daffs...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Good stuff, Trevor. I'm sure all this work is doing your mind AND body a world of good!

Nice to see the early snowdrops too. A sure sign spring is round the corner.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave, Wurzel and David M.

The work carried out over this winter, with both the contractors and their machines,
and volunteers, have transformed the whole area. New wide rides and inroads into
some of the Birch scrub should provide a suitable environment for the growth of Dog Violets
leading to a healthy, thriving population of Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries.
I am sure many other Butterfly species will benefit from this site management once
the newly worked land has had time to re-establish and mature.

As for early flowers, besides the Snowdrops, I have several Primroses in flower
and a Camelia about to bloom. None of these should be out before mid February.
Besides these the Daffodils in a local car park are out.

Does this point to another early Butterfly season ?.

Tree Fellers.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Roll on Summer !.
Attachments
P1080692.jpg
P1080959.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

Seconded, Trevor!

Halfway round to Emperor-time now... :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

I should have said that Dave. That's what I was thinking when I posted.
Hopefully there will be some exciting moments before late June, early July !.

All the best,
Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

One of the trickiest Butterflies to approach on our trip to the French Pyrenees was the Brassy Ringlet.
The day the images below were taken there was an additional challenge.
We were just about above cloud level, in brilliant sunshine, but within seconds a thick mist would descend
which would then lift just as quickly, allowing the hot sunshine to return.
During the misty spells any Butterflies in the area would instantly settle, and this allowed my best chance
of getting close to a Brassy Ringlet. Unfortunately the mist was so dense that photography was impossible,
but I waited by my chosen Brassy. In almost an instant the sun returned and several quick shots were
obtained before the Ringlet was off. At least the three grabbed shots were enough to show the rainbow
like iridescence on the left hand forewing.
I later found a mating pair of Brassy Ringlets which were too engrossed to make a quick escape.
Attachments
P1100828.JPG
P1100827.JPG
P1100825.JPG
P1100823.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It can't come quickly enough Trevor :D
Great set of shots of the Brassy Ringlets - they certainly live up to their name, stunning colours :shock: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just like looking at a live rainbow Trevor, lovely :D Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Beautiful, must look amazing in motion. :D

David M

Post by David M »

Many thanks for making me even more desperate to get back to France, Trevor!!!

These species can be quite common on the near continent and I yearn for the weeks to come when I'll be back amongst them!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The brassy ringlets are lovely group, and you’ve captured the iridescence beautifully in your images, Trevor. They are not easy to photograph either, especially with their wings open, so you’ve done well there too. I love the way they flash blue silver when they fly.

trevor

Post by trevor »

WE'RE OFF ! ( or at least it's a tentative start ).

On Thursday 15th Feb. I was driving along a single track lane near Midhurst, West Sussex,
when in the distance I spotted a white Butterfly. As I neared this female Brimstone, she
thoughtfully landed on a wild Rhododendron bush right by somewhere I could
pull in off the road, better still my camera was in a bag on the front seat !.
All very fortunate and convenient :D . Added to this these were the earliest Butterfly
images I'd ever taken,by two days.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1140222.JPG
P1140226.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”