Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Blue badger in amongst the the other butterflies - but with that brill Blue, Clouded Yellow and a Brown Hairstreak it almost got lost... :shock: :D I think you just edged the 'Battle of the Blues' Trevor due to the freshness of your example :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Having seen recent images of female Wall Browns from Mill Hill and High and Over
I thought I would try my luck, with a fantastic weather forecast for today.
On arrival at High and Over, I was soon amazed at the number of Walls active at
such an early hour.
Walking through the meadow, my attention was drawn to a Wall flying very clumsily,
with another in pursuit. They eventually landed in the wet grass ,and upon inspection
it became clear that I had seen a mating pair in flight with a second male trying to get
in on the act, he soon took the hint a left the coupled pair alone. After a few of shots
I too left them alone.
Later on, after failing to find a lone female, I went through the gate towards the steps,
and found a fresh female nectaring. Unfortunately she was not in a good position for a shot,
and my attempt to get closer sent her up, I saw her fly over into the meadow.
In the few seconds it took me to return to the meadow, a male had found her and they
had paired up, a second mating pair in less than two hours !.
This pair took several flights before finding a suitable bramble on which to complete
their act. Interestingly when both mating pairs took flight, it was the female that took the lead,
and the male was towed through the air with wings closed.
In all in excess of twenty males and four females were seen this morning.
Attachments
1st mating pair.
1st mating pair.
2nd mating pair.
2nd mating pair.
P1120488.JPG
P1120464.JPG
P1120499.JPG
P1120408.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice one Trevor. Both Bob and James said they didn't think the third brood had peaked yet and with females still emerging it looks like they are right!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wow, I'm well jealous. Not only of your fantastic Wall sightings and images, but also that you had today off! I will be checking some Essex Wall sites on Sunday, if the weather is suitable.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Paul and Mark.
Judging by the number of Wall Browns seen today their peak can't be far off.
The near perfect weather this morning was just right for Wall action.

If you fancy a trip down to Sussex, Mark, PM me for directions.
Strike while the iron's hot!.

Trevor.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Very nice photos of the Wall Browns, Trevor, especially the mating pairs, not that I'm :mrgreen: :wink:

Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

The weather this morning at High and Over, was in total contrast to that of yesterday.
A constant cool breeze was blowing in from the sea, accompanied by high cloud.
When the sun did manage to shine only a few Wall Browns took advantage of it.
Fortunately my quest to find some female Walls was partially satisfied, with two found,
although neither female landed in a good position for photography.

I will return !.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1120537.JPG
P1120529.JPG
P1120517.JPG
P1120523.JPG
P1120536.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Still a nice selection there, Trev. If I'm as successful as that in south Essex tomorrow, I'll be happy!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're certainly filling your boots/memory card with Walls this year Trevor :D :wink: After missing out on the females you made up for it recently along with a mating pair as well :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Another great selection of Walls, Trevor and much :mrgreen: indeed for the mating pairs. Excellent shots. :) This third brood seems very strong and hopefully is early enough to get the next generation well underway before winter closes in. It certainly wasn't a bit wintry down there today...

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Mark. Wurzel & Dave,

This evening, as an experiment, I enlarged a section of a Wall Brown underwing.
The texture of the wing could suggest a piece of woven fabric, it's certainly intricate.
Attachments
P1120482.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The markings are stunning on the underside of Walls when you get really close up :D The best one I've seen had the name 'Ed' in copperplate on it, at least that's what it looked like to me :? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great sightings of the mating pairs of Wall Browns, Trevor. You must have been delighted. Interesting that you noted the female took the lead in flight. That’s what I found in May when I observed a coupling pair. I often wonder whether this is species dependent, as in some butterflies, it is seemingly the male who carries the female.

As an aside, that last image of the Wall Brown underside in close up is exactly what you state – like woven fabric.

I’m sure there’s a niche in the market for anyone who can recreate the wonderful natural shades and patterns of a butterfly’s wings into a household product!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, great shot of the Graylings wing , I noticed that the shots before that one showed the Graylings to be more faded , we're getting to the end of the season now ,it's great your still finding them, none seen here at all. Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning we had wall to wall cloud and mirk, so I reluctantly had to postpone activities
until after lunch, only then did we get some hazy sun. I think today was the first time ever
that I have set out so late.
High and Over was my destination once again, and it turned out to be a worthwhile visit.
After only a few minutes I spotted some Wall Brown ' courtship ', not the usual male and male
spiralling dispute, but two Walls flying low and occasionally pausing for a sort of face off.
It was during one pause that I identified male and female. The last time they stopped they had coupled.
But I then lost this mating pair when they flew high over the hedge.
However I did manage several shots of a second mating pair, down in the grass.
There were still some fresh males to be seen, but not as many as last Friday.

Other species seen, one each of Common Blue, Red Admiral and Comma.
Then it was home before the rush hour.

Trevor.

PS. I wish that was a Grayling, Goldie, as I havn't seen one this year. It was a Wall Brown.
Attachments
The second mating pair of the afternoon.
The second mating pair of the afternoon.
P1120655.JPG
A reasonable solo female, at last.
A reasonable solo female, at last.
P1120652.JPG
P1120651.JPG
P1120650.JPG
P1120647.JPG
P1120648.JPG
P1120649.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:This morning we had wall to wall cloud....
Is that a deliberate pun, Trevor, given the numbers of megera you saw? :)

Good to see more mating pairs. One can only hope that the larvae can feed up and successfully overwinter.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Walls just keep on coming Trevor :D :mrgreen: Great looking Red Admiral as well, the blue on the hind wing seems to carry on right up towards the abdomen, they are spectacular when fresh :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

WOOP's! :oops: But it down to an age thing Trevor :lol: Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote:
trevor wrote:This morning we had wall to wall cloud....
Is that a deliberate pun, Trevor, given the numbers of megera you saw? :)

Good to see more mating pairs. One can only hope that the larvae can feed up and successfully overwinter.
Yea, when I was there is was wall to wall Wall!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

No pun intended, David. But I've seen so many this year I must have them on the brain !.

For a change of scene today I went over to Mill Hill.
The weather never seemed to sort itself out, with a lot of high cloud, and a constant gentle breeze.
It was a question of observing Butterflies rather than photographing them. A good selection of species
were present, including Clouded Yellow, male Wall, Peacock, Red Admiral, Small tortoiseshell, Painted Lady,
Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Small Copper and Large & Small White.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1120684.JPG
P1120682.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”