Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Trevor

Post by millerd »

Another splendid set of Walls, Trevor - it must be worth another trip if the wind eases off, but unfortunately it may actually get worse for a few days. Your Wiltshire selection look familiar - it's moving towards the time when that's all we'll have left to look at... :( :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Really nice dark final Comma Trevor, lovely markings :D It seems that the end of the season is fast approaching and it could be early doors this year :? fingers crossed for a final summer flourish :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

That last Comma is noticeably different, Trevor, particularly around the margins of the hindwing. Nice find!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave, David m, & Wurzel.

A visit to the grounds of St. Peters church, Great Cheverell, found at least six fresh Commas
and two Red Admirals, indulging on over ripe Blackberries.

Once again no Wall Browns appeared to be present.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1110896.JPG
P1110897.JPG
P1110893.JPG
P1110895.JPG
P1110894.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

It is easy to forget, that you have your back to this view when searching for Wall Browns.
It is easy to forget, that you have your back to this view when searching for Wall Browns.
At High and Over this morning, there was a strong breeze blowing from the west, and it was chilly.
The walk from the car park, was uncomfortable to say the least.
I met a Lady walking back to her car, and seeing my camera, she said that she had seen one Wall Brown
in the meadow beyond the steps.
This was my destination. Once again the hedge along the meadow provided almost total protection
from the cold wind, and the weak sun, poking through the high cloud, began to warm the site.
It soon became clear that the third brood of Walls this year, is at least as good as 2016.
I managed to photograph a total of eight males, minor nicks ( or the lack of them ) aided identification.
Unfortunately no females appeared, despite watching patrolling males to see if they could send one up.

A brilliant morning.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1120023.JPG
P1110999.JPG
P1120024.JPG
P1120027.JPG
P1120032.JPG
P1120033.JPG
P1110995.JPG
P1120018.JPG
P1120016.JPG
P1120030.JPG
P1120019.JPG
P1120022.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Another splendid selection of male Walls, Trevor - it's amazing that such an exposed spot can provide such a good bit of shelter for them. :) They certainly take advantage of it. I wonder where all the females have gone since that one we saw last week?

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Walls Trevor, especially the fourth from the end - he really stands out almost as if someone's gone round the brown background colour with an outlining pencil :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Trevor. In many ways, these 'borderline' times of the year when weather conditions are often marginal see butterflies retreat to their most favoured, sheltered areas, making their presence there more predictable.

That said, seeing any Wall Browns these days is notable, so you can be proud of your efforts!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks for your comments everyone.
Another visit to High and Over early this morning was not so much for the third brood Walls,
but to see some of the other species noted yesterday.
I used my close up lens for all of yesterdays images, which meant that some of the other species
seen would have been out of reach for photography. As it takes too many seconds to remove
the lens and re-programme the camera ( giving the intended subject time to escape ) I decided
not to use it today, allowing a better chance with some of the more distant subjects.
It was a treat to find some very fresh Red Admirals, several Peacocks, and best of all a
brand new Large White with wings open.
Of course I could not completely ignore the Wall Browns, especially one resting on a Bindweed flower.
Other species seen, a solitary Small Copper, and a Small Heath.

Another superb morning.
Trevor.
P1120121.JPG
Attachments
P1120125.JPG
P1120130.JPG
P1120127.JPG
P1120119.JPG
P1120129.JPG
P1120128.JPG
P1120120.JPG
P1120124.JPG
P1120123.JPG
P1120126.JPG

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great Wall shots Trevor ! just noticed your last Peacock shot is similar to the couple I,ve posted from this afternoon .showing the extra small blue spot . I visited Steyning and managed to find a single Brown Hair,so well pleased !!
Regards Allan.W.

trevor

Post by trevor »

A bright sunny, but very cool morning ensured a fairly late start, and a visit to a local site,
the Downs above Willingdon, on the outskirts of Eastbourne.
Only a few Butterflies were seen, these included two fresh Common Blues, and two
very fresh Peacocks. A few Meadow Browns were still hanging on.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1120172.JPG
P1120171.JPG
P1120173.JPG
P1120174.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

The sudden flush of Peacocks (which I've seen too) in indifferent weather some time after their main emergence in July seems to point to a second brood - what do you think? The Walls do seem to be doing well (nice shots of them too! :) ) Ask them to hang on for a few more days, please! :wink:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Peacocks have yet reach a second brood over this way Trevor - it's Red Admirals all over the place though :D Interesting to see such a fresh Common Blue in amongst all those Walls :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Amazing to see such fresh Common Blues at this time of year, Trevor.

You are definitely living in a good spot for butterflies.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks for the comments Chaps.

I did not choose where I live for Butterflies David, but I could not have done better if I had !
It really is a brilliant area, with many different habitats nearby.

For today it was yet another trip to High and Over, and the sun trap hedge in the meadow.
This site produced two nice surprises this morning, a very fresh and placid Painted Lady and,
in the meadow a fresh male Common Blue.
The only Butterflies that were fewer in number than previous visits were ' the Whites '.
The male Wall Browns are still doing fine !.

All images below were taken in about two hours this morning.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1120300.JPG
P1120301.JPG
P1120299.JPG
P1120302.JPG
P1120296.JPG
P1120295.JPG
P1120294.JPG
P1120290.JPG
P1120293.JPG
P1120297.JPG
P1120289.JPG
P1120292.JPG
P1120291.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those Walls are doing exceptionally well there, if I get up early enough tomorrow I may well venture that far myself :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Keep those Walls going, Trevor - I also hope to get down there later this week. That's a good selection of other species as well. I wonder if the Painted Lady is on its way south?

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

Buggy and Dave, I took a Wall image today, just one, would you like to see it.

For a change of scene, I drove over to Mill Hill in West Sussex, principally for Clouded Yellows, this morning.
Unfortunately I came home with the booby prize. Of the five CL's seen four were fresh, and one was beyond
tatty, almost derelict. You will see the one I got !.
Talking of tatty, the big surprise of the day was a female Brown Hairsrtreak who was doing her best to find
a suitable place to egg lay. She twice came down to the ground to bask.
Several fresh Small Coppers were spread over the slopes, including a ' blue badge '.
The real treat for me was locating a beautiful ' blue ' female Common Blue, fresh and very finely marked.
Male Common Blues varied from tatty to fresh third brood, with quite a number seen.
Even the few Meadow Browns around were in good condition.

Here are a selection of today's finds.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1120396.JPG
P1120404.JPG
P1120403.JPG
P1120405.JPG
This Brown Argus was the smallest Butterfly I have ever seen.
This Brown Argus was the smallest Butterfly I have ever seen.
P1120401.JPG
Of course the day would not be complete without a Wall!.
Of course the day would not be complete without a Wall!.
P1120394.JPG
P1120398.JPG
P1120402.JPG
P1120400.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

That female Common Blue is an absolute cracker, Trevor. The Wall is none to shabby, either... :) The Brown Hairstreak must have come as a bit of a surprise, though - it's getting quite late for them and I'd forgotten they popped up at Mill Hill at all. Bad luck with getting only the ghost of a Clouded Yellow - it's astonishing it could fly at all, though they do seem quite resilient and must fly a long way in their lifetimes (they certainly don't settle much when the sun's out! :) ).

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

I wouldn't complain too much about that tatty Clouded Yellow, Trevor. You've seen a notable range of species for a late September day and your female Common Blue is probably the pick...although a Brown Hairstreak at any time is highly desirable!

Return to “Personal Diaries”