Kev Ling

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Kev Ling

Post by David M »

Always pays to take some kind of camera, Kev. Occasionally, good things will come to those who are unprepared, so I'm glad you had your phone handy to record those moments.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Despite the cooler temperatures in the East, I have still been enjoying the spring butterflies at my local patch (Spring Wood, Ipswich). Adding a touch of colour are the beautiful bluebells.
Spring Wood 29.4 (3).jpg
Yesterday's offerings were Green Hairstreak, Orange Tip, Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Holly Blue and a variety of whites.
Spring Wood 29 Apr 17 (1).JPG
Spring Wood 29 Apr 17 (4).JPG
Also saw this lovely Orange Tip on a lunchtime walk earlier in the week. Once again taken with my mobile phone (pleased with the result. Perhaps I should sell my camera and stick with the mobile :lol: ).
Martlesham PHQ 25.4 (11).jpg
Martlesham PHQ 25.4 (4).jpg
Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

2017 has produced some of my earliest sightings of certain species. My first March Orange Tip and Holly Blue and today my earliest sighting of Common Blue at my local park in Ipswich.
This first example seemed different to any Common Blue I've seen before, with unusual black markings on the forewings. Could it be an abb? What would explain these markings?
The final image was the more traditional example.
Chantry Park 21.5 (4).JPG
Chantry Park 21.5 (6).JPG
Chantry Park 21.5 (1).JPG
Kind Regards
Kev

millerd

Post by millerd »

There is a bit of a crumple on the left wing, Kev, and so the butterfly has been damaged, possibly on emergence. This might account for the black marks.

Dave

kevling

Post by kevling »

Peak District 31/5/17

Just back from a family break to the Peak District. One of our walks was along the ridge from Mam Tor to Losehill. A Small Copper greeted us as we left the car and I hoped this may be a good sign given the lovely weather conditions.
At the Summit of Mam Tor I spotted a pair of butterflies in the distance performing an aerial routine. As they settled, I inched towards the cliff edge for closer inspection. To my surprise, I had stumbled across a pair of Wall Browns (my first sighting in the UK for eight years). The 3km walk across the ridge produced a further 5 examples. These were a most unexpected sighting, given that I was unware of the colony at this location.

Location of the Wall Browns (View from Mam Tor to Losehill)
Mam Tor to Hollins Cross.JPG
Mam Tor 31.5 (17).JPG
Mam Tor 31.5 (15).JPG
Mam Tor 31.5 (9).JPG
Mam Tor 31.5 (2).JPG
Mam Tor 31.5 (3).JPG
Mam Tor 31.5 (11).JPG
The ridge walk also produced good numbers of Red Admirals, a species that seems in far greater abundance than at this time last year
Mam Tor 31.5 (2).JPG
Mam Tor 31.5 (1).JPG
Regards Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Orange-tip from a while back Kev - I've never seen them adopt that pose before :shock: :D :mrgreen: Good to see so many Wall Browns - and inland as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

An inland Wall Brown is a rare sight indeed these days, Kev. Nice to see they are thriving somewhere far removed from the coast.

I suspect the elevation helps them.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks Wurzel :) - My new trick is to watch Orange Tips settle as the sun goes in and then get close up shots as they warm themselves up again when the sun re-appears. This one just happened to find the first place it could to settle.

Thanks David :) - Some inland Wall Browns were the last thing I expected to see. It's good to see Butterflies when you know where they'll be, but even more exciting when you get an unexpected surprise.

Regards Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

10th June 2017 - Monks Wood, Cambs

My quest to see my first ever Black Hairstreaks finally came good this weekend. A combination of poor weekend weather and a very short flight season had put pay to my plans over the previous two years. I had the pleasure of joining fellow UK Butterfly members Rosalyn, PhilB and Badgerbob (thanks for your company).
The Black Hairstreak is enjoying a bumper year in 2017 and at Monks Wood several were seen in a very short time, in just one spot. After having seen several males patrolling up and down, a female rested for the camera before creeping into the foliage in what looked like ovipositing mode. Despite a hunt with the magnifying glass, no egg could be seen, so it must have been a practice run.

Female
f, Monks Wood -2.jpg
f, Monks Wood -1.jpg
Finally, a male rested at low level for a nice photograph
m, Monks Wood -3.jpg
m, Monks Wood -4.jpg
Regards
Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Kev :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It's a species that I regret not trying for each year but I'm always conscious that it's one of the hardest to find and so I can never bring myself to cash in the necessary Brownie points in case of failure :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Cheers Wurzel :D I've had the same dilemma myself about certain species. However this year the Black Hairstreaks have been almost impossible to miss (given reasonable weather of course). It seems it's one of their best years for some time.
As I keep saying about the species in your neck of the woods, "There's always next year" :lol:

Regards Kev

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great 1st image of the Black Hairstreak Kev.
I would have been very pleased to take an image like that home.

All the best,
Trevor.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Great to see you there Kev. A great day was had by all!!

David M

Post by David M »

Always a delight to see images of this species. With such a narrow flight timeframe allied to the insects’ propensity to settle well away from the photographer’s lens, any shots at all are most welcome.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Trevor/Badgerbob/DavidM: Thanks for your kind comments :D

I was present at my local nature reserve on Sunday doing a bio blitz with the Suffolk Wildlife Trust.
We found this Comma larvae ending it's feeding frenzy in preparation to pupate.
P1200528 (1).JPG
The pupa looks almost indistinguishable from a dead leaf
P1200538 (1).JPG

Regards Kev

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely images of the Black Hairstreak, Kev :D

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

Finding a pupating butterfly in the wild is quite an achievement, whatever species it is, Kev. All those dead leaves to choose from... :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is awesome camouflage really well captured kev :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Saturday 17th June 2017 - Part 1

It had been a while since my last encounter with Heath Fritillaries, so a trip to South Essex was made with Mrs L and our daughter to soak up the butterflies and the hot sun. A short walk through the woods and we found a coppiced ride with abundant cow wheat. Immediately the Heaths put in an appearance with some fresh examples seen and a couple of mating pairs too.
Hockley Woods 17.6 (79).jpg
Hockley Woods 17.6 (66).JPG
Hockley Woods 17.6 (75).jpg
Hockley Woods 17.6 (52).JPG
The Heaths were very obliging for the camera, spending long periods of time basking. As I was taking photos, I felt a tickle on my hand and had been joined by a new friend.
Hockley Woods 17.6 (9).JPG
Hockley Woods 17.6 (2).JPG
Hockley Woods 17.6 (67).jpg
Hockley Woods 17.6 (69).jpg
It was lovely to see a good number of these beauties (20+) and a shame that they are now such a rare and isolated species. I hope it's not a case of ' enjoy them whilst you can'.

Regards Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Kev :D If the numbers at East Blean were anything to go by they'll be around for a while yet - they were all over the place :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”