Mike Robinson

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Mike Robinson

Post by millerd »

I quite agree, Mike - butterflies are really set off properly by some attractive flowers and it gives a better feel for the memories of the day. :) (I think your first butterfly is a male Brown Argus, rather than a Common Blue female, by the way. )

Dave

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Dave,

Howdy.

Thanks very much. I had wondered about the top picture being a Brown Argus Butterfly but plumped for a female Common Blue; I'm not aware of Brown Arguses being seen on the Erith Marshes which is where I saw the Butterfly, so it would be really super-dooper if it is a Brown Argus.

Please see another picture of the Butterfly:
butterflyerithmarshes4june2015.jpg
The Butterfly has a noticeable blue sheen. It also has fairly prominent dark spots in the centre of the forewing which, as I understand it, could suggest Brown Argus, although I have seen pictures of female Common Blue Butterflies that appear to have similar markings.

And I have been looking at the abdomen; which seems quite long compared to the, as I understand it, generally shorter version on the female Common Blue Butterfly.

Kind regards ~ Mike ...

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Definitely a Brown Argus - the spotting on the underside, and the fact that it is male, make it so :)

The "Similar Species" section here might help: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species. ... %20Species

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Pete:

Thanks very much. Much appreciated.

Hopefully I'll be more confident in trying to identify them in future.

Kind regards ~ Mike ...

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Well; we weren't really expecting to see a Butterfly, let alone photograph one, until probably late-February or early-March.

So it came as a super pleasant surprise whilst walking around the Gardens at Hall Place in Bexley to both see a Butterfly (a Small Tortoiseshell) and after chasing it around for a while, to be able to photograph it when it settled in the Sunshine on a large boulder viz.
smalltortoiseshellhallplace28january2016.jpg
Last edited by Mike Robinson on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Good to hear from you again. Your Small Tortoiseshell is quite a find for January.
Superb shot too !

All the best,
Trevor .

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Trevor,

Thanks.

It was actually quite weird. The Butterfly looked very much like an old dried leaf that had come to life! If anything, it reminded me of a Comma Butterfly.

I chased after it and thankfully it settled for long enough to be photographed.

Kind regards ~ Mike ...

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

A cracking Small Tortoiseshell to kick your season off...that certainly brightened up my evening as I listen to the rain lashing down again outside.

Cheers,

Neil

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Neil,

Thanks for noticing this.

So far I'm having great fun with the local birds this year including seeing yesterday, our long-staying Black Redstart, a Rock Pipit and a Mediterranean Gull but I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with the Butterflies again this year.

I can only hope I will be as lucky this year as I was last year.

Kind regards ~ Mike ...

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great find Mike and what a cracking specimen - those margins are in really great nick :D Good luck for the rest of the year! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Dear Wurzel,

Thanks.

And hoping for the best of luck for you too for the coming year.

Mike ...

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well done with the Butterfly Mike it's lovely, Snow forecast here, UGH! Goldie :( :D

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Goldie,

Thanks.

I don't like snow. I remember we woke up to some snow one morning a couple of weeks ago but it went pretty quickly. I hope that if you have some it will be gone super-quick.

Kind regards ~ Mike ...

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike , glad to say it missed us and we managed a nice day out. :D Goldie :D

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Goldie: pleased to hear it. Mike ...

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

We have now seen two Butterflies this year; in addition to a Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly seen during late-January, we came across a Speckled Wood Butterfly yesterday in the Garden at Home viz.
speckledwoodgarden6march2016.jpg
However, although it is nice to see some Butterflies again we worry that some probable cold weather until Spring really gets going, hopefully sooner rather than later, will put paid to them. Perhaps this might not be the case and individual Butterflies are more resilient than we imagine? We can only hope so.

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! A Speckled Wood. One hell of a sighting for early March, Mike.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Looks like things are definitely on the move now Mike, great find Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,

That's a very early Speckled Wood, well found.
This year your challenge is to better that Peacock duet you captured last year!.

Good to hear from you again,
Trevor.

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

For David M, Goldie M and Trevor,

Dear all,

Thanks very much for noticing this. You are all very kind.

Trevor ~ Wow; what a memory.

Kind regards ~ Mike ...

Return to “Personal Diaries”