CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
CFB

Re: CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning along the Piste du Collet des Espéres I saw several Baton Blues, including this female
IMG_3434.JPG
and this male,
IMG_3463.JPG
a couple of Wood Whites,
IMG_3448.JPG
at least one Black-eyed Blue,
IMG_3449.JPG
and, at last, two Spanish Festoons.
IMG_3452.JPG
There were also many Brimstones and Wall Browns, a single Small Copper, several Speckled Woods and Orange-tips, and some Clouded Yellows and Green Hairstreaks.
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Well done Colin.
Good photos. Now you're coming up with the goodies.
Chris

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

I finally got a photo of a Provence Orange-tip, which have been eluding my camera for two weeks or so. This female is on Biscutella laevigata, the larval food plant of this species.
IMG_3467.JPG
Also seen were regular Orange-tips,
IMG_3465.JPG
some Small Coppers,
IMG_3471.JPG
a Green-veined White,
IMG_3475.JPG
and several Brimstones, Clouded Yellows, Cleopatras, Wall Browns and Speckled Woods.
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

That's a great image of the female Provence Orange Tip, Colin. I believe it deserves a place in the species specific albums, although Vince Massimo will be the ultimate judge of that!

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

David M wrote:That's a great image of the female Provence Orange Tip, Colin. I believe it deserves a place in the species specific albums, although Vince Massimo will be the ultimate judge of that!
I agree that it is a beautiful image of a stunning butterfly, but unfortunately this species has never been reported in the British Isles, so cannot be included in the Species-Specific Album. Shame :( ...............

Vince

David M

Post by David M »

Fair enough, Vince, it has never been a UK species, though given its difficulty to photograph, that image could well be a useful one to have on file.

CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks, David and Vince.

This morning I saw at least three male and three female Provence Orange-tips, including this courting couple. Heavily cropped and a bit blurred due to the wind, their activity and my shaking hands, but beggars can't be choosers :) .
IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

You're rubbing it in now, Colin. :mrgreen:

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Vince Massimo wrote:
David M wrote:That's a great image of the female Provence Orange Tip, Colin.
I agree that it is a beautiful image of a stunning butterfly, but unfortunately this species has never been reported in the British Isles, so cannot be included in the Species-Specific Album. Shame :( ...............

Vince
Agreed, on both counts!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Excellent shots of the female Provence Orange Tip and of the courting pair.
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks Chris.

There wasn't much activity this morning, presumably due to a cool wind.

I did however see and photograph a Dingy Skipper,
IMG_3573.JPG
and a Brown Argus.
IMG_3575.JPG
Other butterflies seen included a couple of Orange-tips, a few Wall Browns, a few Speckled Woods, two or three Berger's Clouded Yellows and a Southern White Admiral. Still no Painted Ladies though.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Still not many butterflies due to a coolish breeze.

I saw my first Adonis Blue of the year, so summer can't be far away.
IMG_3582.JPG
Also seen were a Green-underside Blue,
IMG_3577.JPG
a Scarce Swallowtail, some Berger's Clouded Yellows, a couple of Orange-tips, Speckled Woods and Wall Browns.
--
Colin

David M

Post by David M »

CFB wrote:I saw my first Adonis Blue of the year, so summer can't be far away.
I wish summer over here was as mild as your spring, Colin!! Adonis Blues in late April? What a charmed life you lead! :mrgreen:

CFB

Post by CFB »

Having seen Glanville Fritillaries during the last few days, this morning I at last managed to photograph one:
IMG_3594.JPG
There were several male Provence Chalkhill Blues, the first of the year,
IMG_3607.JPG
and a damaged female Green-underside Blue:
IMG_3618.JPG
Also, but no photos, male Adonis Blues, male Orange-tips, Wall Browns, Speckled Woods and Berger's Clouded Yellows.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

You are clearly the forerunner in the butterfly season, Colin.
I am now on the look-out for Adonis and Provence Chalkhill. :D
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Chris Jackson wrote:You are clearly the forerunner in the butterfly season
Hello Chris,

I don't think so. I've seen 36 species so far. I bet you've seen a lot more.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning I encountered this male Baton Blue, one of my favorite butterflies, who allowed me to photograph both upper-side and under-side, and to get very close.
IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3636.JPG
There were a few Weaver's Fritillaries,
IMG_3641.JPG
a couple of what I think are Grizzled Skippers,
IMG_3664.JPG
and a large number of Owlfly Sulphurs.
IMG_3654.JPG
Seen but not photographed were Provence Chalkhill Blues, Glanville Fritillaries, Small Heaths, Wall Browns and Speckled Woods.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Yet another sunny day, but still not many different species. There were probably more Owlfly Sulphurs than the total number of butterflies.

But I did see one male Green-underside Blue (?),
IMG_3670.JPG
many Glanville Fritillaries,
IMG_3671.JPG
one impeccable Scarce Swallowtail,
IMG_3677.JPG
one Spanish Festoon, one Small Copper, one male Brimstone, a few male Adonis Blues, two or three Berger's Clouded Yellows, one or two Clouded Yellows, one or two Small Heaths, several Wall Browns and some Speckled Woods.

I also heard a cuckoo, which I don't often hear.

And this is an Ophrys bertolonii orchid from yesterday.
IMG_3666.JPG
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning was nice and sunny after the heavy rain yesterday.

I saw several Painted Ladies, the first of the year.
IMG_3700.JPG
Also seen were one Southern White Admiral, one Orange-tip, one Adonis Blue, one Spanish Festoon, several Small Heaths, several Wall Browns and a few Glanville Fritillaries.
--
Colin

Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I also had one this morning, very fresh. Hopefully its grandchildren will make it to England. Also a first Meadow Brown, bring the season's total to 48, although the weather has been terrible (by south of France standards) and I hadn't made any trips to see specific species such as Chapman's Green Hairstreak or Spring Ringlet. This compares to 56 by the end of April last year.

I haven't yet seen a (ex hibernating) Camberwell Beauty or a Large Tortoiseshell, which is the first time I have seen neither in twelve years. It is a very strange year with very good weather until about 20 April and cold and wet almost ever since. The early emergers seem to have done well, and the second generation of Dappled White is already on the wing.

Roger

Return to “Personal Diaries”