MikeOxon

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: MikeOxon

Post by Jack Harrison »

You mentioned that you have yet another camera

Here's (some of) my equipment.
cams119.jpg
Are you going to show us yours Mike? :twisted:
Two or three more cameras that I couldn't find.

Jack

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote:You mentioned that you have yet another camera

Here's (some of) my equipment.
cams119.jpg
Are you going to show us yours Mike? :twisted:
Two or three more cameras that I couldn't find.

Jack
... and the one you took the photo with, I assume :)

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

... and the one you took the photo with, I assume :)
No no no. I set it up on 10 seconds self-timer and then put it in the pile with the others.
Only just had time to do that before the shutter went off :( :?:

Had a silly issue earlier in the day (this should really be in my diary but here goes).

Wife had gone out. I was still getting dressed. Knock on the door. Incredibly early postman with a new printer.
I apologised to him that I was only wearing one sock :P
He replied that he could overlook the fact that I wasn’t wearing any trousers but only one sock – disgraceful.

No dour Scots in these parts.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

LOL! Do you ever throw anything away, Jack? :)

That's quite a collection!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

David: LOL! Do you ever throw anything away, Jack? :)
Sometimes - like a wife or two :evil:

Jack

MikeOxon

Snow in Oxon

Post by MikeOxon »

No butterflies in the garden today:
Abingdon, Oxon - 10th December 2017<br />Olympus E-M5 with 12-50mm lens - 1/125s@f/5 ISO640
Abingdon, Oxon - 10th December 2017
Olympus E-M5 with 12-50mm lens - 1/125s@f/5 ISO640
Mike

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I'm trying to contact you on your usual e-mail address but it keeps bouncing. Drop me an e-mail please to resume contact.

Jack

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Sorry you had difficulty, Jack. Should be solved now.

Mike

MikeOxon

Dry Sandford Pit - 21st March 2018

Post by MikeOxon »

At last, some warmth in the sun to tempt me outside for my first visit of the year to my local Dry Sandford Pit reserve. The air was still too cool for any butterflies to be on the wing but, at least, there were plenty of Spring flowers on the banks - Violets and Primroses - which will doubtless attract Spring species very soon.
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 21st March 2018
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 21st March 2018
As a result of a very persistent viral infection and unusually cold weather and snow, this was my first real chance to explore the features of my fairly new Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii camera in the field. Although the layout is very similar to the previous Mk.i, there are a few things to get used to. The viewfinder seems brighter and more contrasty. The overall operation of the camera is noticeably faster, and the three new custom positions on the mode dial are very useful. I've already set one up for 'stacked' macro photography, which I have used for indoor flower photography, while another is set for birds-in-flight. The AF-Tracking, which was somewhat hit-and-miss on the earlier model, now appears to lock-on very securely, although there was little to test it on today.

I recently bought what has already proven to be a very handy 'gadget'. It's called a 'Movo' lens-changer and comprises a short tube on a neck strap with a lens mount at each end. The idea is that you can have a lens fitted to one of the mounts and then, to change lenses in the field, simply take the current lens off the camera, clip it into the empty mount on the 'Movo' and transfer the other lens to the camera - very quick and easy, with no juggling required! The photo shows it slung around my neck, together with all the other 'Christmas-tree' of straps for camera, binoculars, etc. There are different versions for Canon and Nikon lens mounts.
'Selfie' with 'Movo' lens changer.
'Selfie' with 'Movo' lens changer.
It was nice to be out 'in the field' again and to get some much-needed camera practise. Hopefully, there will soon be some butterfly subjects :)

Mike

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good to see you out and about Mike, let's hope spring is here to stay this time (I've seen rumours of yet another cold snap over the Easter weekend!).

That 'movo' lens changer sounds like a genius idea, might have to look into that what with my most recent purchase.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks for looking in, Bugboy. That Movo gadget is great for smaller lenses but I'm not sure whether I'd trust it with something like your 150-600!

I was using it to swap between my 12-50+Macro and my 40-150 tele, for which it was great. I could probably change lenses as quickly as my FZ200 'Bridge' camera could motor its zoom from one end to the other. It also frees my wife from "could you hold that for a moment while I swap lenses" :)

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The movo looks like an interesting bit of kit but what will your wife do now :wink: Good to see you up and at em, we just need some butterflies now :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks Wurzel. I suppose my wife could always stay at home in the kitchen :lol: . (that should get the steam rising from the ears of all our female friends)

Mike

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

MikeOxon wrote:Thanks Wurzel. I suppose my wife could always stay at home in the kitchen :lol: . (that should get the steam rising from the ears of all our female friends)

Mike
Well it's been nice knowing you Mike! :lol:

With regards to my 150 - 600mm it does have it's own strap but if I'm out with both lenses it would be handy to have the macro within easy reach.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

In fact, Bugboy, my wife is far better at spotting mini-beasts than I am. During our walks, I am frequently called back to look at something interesting, after I've passed by without noticing.

David M

Post by David M »

Aside from the jokes about what your wife might be likely to do to you, Mike, may I comment that your kit marks you down as a very serious practitioner of photography.

I hope your new gear gets some active service over the next week or two. I shall look forward to seeing the results.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Mike: It also frees my wife from "could you hold that for a moment while I swap lenses" :)
Works both ways.

You might have met Sandra Standbridge, a rather competent photographer from Hertfordhshire. Her husband Kevin doesn’t seem to have any great interest in butterflies (I think he works in the City or something like that). But Kevin is a dutiful caddy.

“Kevin, I need the 500 for this shot”. So Kevin delves into the bag (it isn’t on wheels but is big enough to need them) and produces the 500 mm lens. “Ah, not what I need after all. The 300 please.”

I once called Kevin “The Caddy” to his face. He just smiled with – it seemed - a degree of resignation.

Jack

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote: I hope your new gear gets some active service over the next week or two. I shall look forward to seeing the results.
Thank you David. I too am looking forward to getting back to 'active service' after a very slow start to this year.

I do get a lot of pleasure from photography and it has helped me to learn a lot more about the natural world. My priority with my kit is in finding tools that get in the way as little as possible, so I do appreciate the low weight and small size of the Olympus system, combined with versatility and speed of operation

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi Mike, glad you had a nice day out. :)
And, as someone who will potentially enter the M4/3's world, interesting info regarding your camera and equipment. :)

Cheers

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you, Andrew. I always enjoy the pictures in your diary :).

I think M4/3 would be a natural route to follow, from your FZ1000, and I feel sure you would appreciate the greater speed and versatility of these cameras. The speed of the E-M1 Mk ii is startling and I am looking forward to trying out the so-called 'pro-capture' mode (I think they mean pre-capture) on those highly-active Spring species. (to explain: in this mode, the camera continually cycles shots through a buffer while the release is half depressed. When you actually release the shutter, up to 35 shots from before the release are also captured) This could be great for those unexpected take-offs and in-flight tussles, where it's very hard to catch the 'decisive moment'.

I agree, Jack, that an assistant, or willing partner, can be extremely useful in the field, and not only for holding 'photographer's clutter' while struggling with filters, lenses, tripods, and all the other unwieldy stuff we collect. My wife is very good at finding subjects for me and always ready to hold back awkward branches or to hold a flashgun in the optimum place for 'simulated sunlight'. Of course this assistance can work without any gender discrimination :) I would not go so far as Ken Rockwell's amusing description of 'Leica man', who "rarely takes his own pictures. He has others to bother with that for him if he is on holiday. If the Leica man requires art, he has it purchased for him."

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”