Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Katrina

Post by Wurzel »

More great bejewelled beauties :mrgreen: :D Interesting behaviour that you witnessed between the bee and cat, looks like the cat won though, there was something similar on the TV the other night - 'super croc vs giant snake':lol:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, it was like a mini amphitheatre although I think it was more bee landing, caterpillar trying to repel bee and failing as bee ignored caterpillar and then decided to hide on the side of the flower instead until bee left of own accord.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Evening at Anchor Bottom

Post by Katrina »

I went out for an hour this evening to Anchor Bottom. I found like others before me that there were a lot of Autumn Lady's Tresses. It was too late to find many butterflies with Meadow Browns the only kind still flying. I found about 4 other butterflies including this one hiding which I think is an Adonis Blue and a different Adonis Blue ab. I would be grateful if anyone knows the name for this one.
Attachments
DSC04020.jpg
DSC04053.jpg
DSC04092.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

I think that is ab. Krodeli - and a very fine example as well! :)

Dave

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Dave, I wondered but when I looked in the Russwurm book ( which I got for Christmas and used for the first time today) the ab krodeli didn't appear to have any spots at all on the upper wing margins. I don't know enough about it to know if that is important or not.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Although on this website the description says all spots missing apart from discoidals so it would definitely fit and I am going with ab Krodeli. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning ab Katrina :D :mrgreen: I think Dave named it correctly :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Many thanks Wurzel and Dave for the ID

trevor

Post by trevor »

Just spotted your Autumn Lady's Tresses. Nature has arranged them very artistically.
Lovely image as usual.

Trevor.

Katrina

Cissbury Ring

Post by Katrina »

I went up to Cissbury ring this afternoon with some friends. I saw 4 Red Admirals, some Meadow Browns and Small Heaths, 4 Small Coppers including one blue badge, and one Common Blue
Attachments
DSC04245.jpg
DSC04274.jpg
DSC04298.jpg
DSC04333.jpg
DSC04362.jpg

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Lovely Coppers Katrina, we had a splendid day looking for Small Coppers on Cissbury ring during late August in 2013. Your report and photos are a nice reminder of a memorable day. The views are pretty nice up there too as I recall.

Best Wishes

James

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Yet more Coppers! They are suddenly taking over the website! I'm in seventh heaven!

Beautiful photos, Katrina - I love photos that show the butterfly in its environment

Congratulations and best wishes,

Hoggers.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photo's Katrina, and a good find with the blue badge :D Goldie :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you James, the views were lovely too.
Thank you Hoggers, Coppers have been in short supply this year, I had been thinking if I didn't find them at Cissbury I might have to come to Dungeness.
Thank you Goldie, I was lucky indeed to find it.

Katrina

Good Fun Bad Photos

Post by Katrina »

After seeing the report of a LTB I thought I might go looking today. Then while having breakfast this morning I spotted Trevor's invite to Tide Mills and decision made. I arrived and bumped into James who was just leaving but decided to stay when he saw me and then Trevor. We very quickly spotted a LTB but it was very active and only settled for seconds and flew off never to be seen again. After a good deal of searching no others were found. We were joined by my friend Mike who had cycled up. Also seen were Clouded Yellows, Small Heaths, Whites, Common Blues and a Red Admiral.
Now if only I could train the kestrel to find LTBs ...
Attachments
DSC04384.jpg
DSC04394.jpg
DSC04395.jpg
DSC04414.jpg
Last edited by Katrina on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Katrina,
We normally complement each others work on here, but I honestly say your LTB image is as bad as mine !. :lol:
I think the three of us had a great day.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Yes, a definite record shot, still waiting to see your and James's. Thank you for inviting me!

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

At least you can see his face on your photo Katrina! Mines more of a 'head down - bottoms up' shot. At least we all got a photo, he didn't hang around for long. I just posted my photo in the 'September Sightings' page.
It was great to meet up with you and Trevor, and see a 2016 LTB of course - we must do it more often. :D

Where are my manners, you Trevor 'and Mike' of course.

Katrina

Hummingbird Hawkmoth Happiness

Post by Katrina »

This evening I was pleasantly surprised to see my first Humming-bird Hawkmoth on a Buddleia on the edge of a car park. I only had my mobile with me so photo is not great but had great views as it was nectaring and flying around.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by Katrina on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a pretty good image for a mobile phone, even the proboscis is visible.
30c on Wednesday, 15c today !.

Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”