Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today in the beautiful weather I went to Southwick Canal. On the way there, from the car, I saw a butterfly flying alongside the road ?a Tortoiseshell.
I was rewarded there by my first Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and Small White of the year. There were 2 Peacocks, one Brimstone, one Small White and plenty of Tortoiseshells. There was plenty of butterfly activity with three Small Tortoiseshells spiralling high into the air multiple times and plenty of butterflies chasing each other off e.g. a Brimstone chasing off the Small White which was in turn chased off by a Small Tortoiseshell.
I then met some friends and we walked up to Cissbury Ring. We saw multiple Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks and one Brimstone.
Attachments
Image.jpg
DSC08193.JPG
DSC08187.JPG
Image.jpg
Last edited by Katrina on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Re: Katrina

Post by David M »

Your Small White is the sighting of the day without doubt!

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Katrina, I agree with David, yes it is an amazing sighting.

Mike

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I was surprised to find it but some have been reported even earlier on the Sussex Butterfly Conservation website.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm with the others the Small White is the sighting of the day - it may be the first photo of the species for 2014 on UKB :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Great spot Katrina! A nice surprise to see a Small White this early, not long now before the Orange Tips arrive :D

B'saurus

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today I went to the work party at Heyshott. It was another lovely day. On the way up I passed a bank of primroses and, although I had a lot to do this afternoon, I managed to stop for 5 minutes on the way down. I found one brimstone, 2 tortoiseshells and a peacock.
Attachments
Image.jpg
DSC08297.JPG
DSC08299.JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

I love your photos of the peacock in the primroses, Katrina :)

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you - the photos could be better but I really liked seeing the butterflies on the primroses as it made me feel that spring has really arrived.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Katrina,

Nice Peacocks on Primroses, I also like the Peacock on the stones in your first post.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the Peacocks Katrina especially the last one, it's lush :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today I went early to Pulborough Brooks and saw one peacock. Then on to Rackham Woods where I saw my first red admiral of the year,one small tortoiseshell, two Brimstones and at least 2 peacocks. The onwards to Mill Hill where they are now grazing cattle. It had clouded over by the time I got there but I found one small tortoiseshell and 2 peacocks.
Attachments
DSC08347.JPG
DSC08351.JPG
DSC08354.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Yesterday I went to Mill Hill and saw Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks and a single Brimstone but no sign of the Grizzled Skipper. I also saw the back of a grass snake disappearing into the undergrowth. I found a brown moth which someone kindly identified for me on ispot as a Straw-barred Pearl (pyrausta despicata) which is a new one for me.
Attachments
DSC08384.jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today I went to Pulborough Brooks. No butterflies but I saw 4 Avocets and my first Swallow of the year.
Attachments
DSC03224.JPG
DSC03208.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today I saw my first orange tips, commas, green veined white and speckled wood of the year.
Attachments
DSC08674.JPG
DSC08674.JPG (20.25 KiB) Viewed 21806 times
DSC08665.JPG
DSC08543.JPG
Last edited by Katrina on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Nice detail on the head of that Orange Tip. May I ask my usual question - camera and lens?

Rob

"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you! Camera is a Sony SLT-A77. The lens is a Sony 2.8/100 macro (the only macro lens in the shop which would fit). I don't know much about photography so I leave it on auto all the time. The detail is good but it does seem to be noisy compared to other peoples cameras which can disturb the butterflies. I am not sure if it is the camera or lens which is noisy. Hope that is helpful!

robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Thanks, Katrina - I'm always looking at cameras and lenses, and wondering but the old Lumix FZ38 still manages some good pictures. I don't know enough about photography to justify the expense of a proper camera I fear, and some people seem to spend more time fiddling with settings than they do looking at butterflies!

Rob

"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Katrina wrote:Thank you! Camera is a Sony SLT-A77. The lens is a Sony 2.8/100 macro (the only macro lens in the shop which would fit). I don't know much about photography so I leave it on auto all the time. The detail is good but it does seem to be noisy compared to other peoples cameras which can disturb the butterflies. I am not sure if it is the camera or lens which is noisy. Hope that is helpful!
Hi Katrina, The noise is almost definitely the lens, have a look at this Sigma lens for your Sony http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma ... -fit-19238 I think it's around £400 new.
It should be a lot quieter than your Sony Macro lens which I believe is a re badged Minolta. I have used the Sigma and it's a great Macro lens. Everything works internally so the lens does not extend in use, this can also scare off some of the more "flighty" insects. The downside is it's a bit heavy to carry around all day. If you're able to it would be good to take your Sony SLT-A77 to a local camera shop (with the Sigma lens in stock) and ask to try it on your Sony. I'm certain you'll find it's a lot quieter. Other than that I believe that Amazon lets you "try and return" for free if it's not to your liking.

I hope this is helpful :D

Best wishes

B'saurus

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:
Katrina wrote:Thank you! Camera is a Sony SLT-A77. The lens is a Sony 2.8/100 macro (the only macro lens in the shop which would fit). I don't know much about photography so I leave it on auto all the time. The detail is good but it does seem to be noisy compared to other peoples cameras which can disturb the butterflies. I am not sure if it is the camera or lens which is noisy. Hope that is helpful!
Hi Katrina, The noise is almost definitely the lens, have a look at this Sigma lens for your Sony http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma ... -fit-19238 I think it's around £400 new.
It should be a lot quieter than your Sony Macro lens which I believe is a re badged Minolta. I have used the Sigma and it's a great Macro lens. Everything works internally so the lens does not extend in use, this can also scare off some of the more "flighty" insects. The downside is it's a bit heavy to carry around all day. If you're able to it would be good to take your Sony SLT-A77 to a local camera shop (with the Sigma lens in stock) and ask to try it on your Sony. I'm certain you'll find it's a lot quieter. Other than that I believe that Amazon lets you "try and return" for free if it's not to your liking.

I hope this is helpful :D

Best wishes

B'saurus
Thank you - very helpful info. I have been thinking of trying a new lens.

Return to “Personal Diaries”