Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel and Trevor, I was pleased with the shots.
Thanks David, when I go out I keep thinking there will barely be any butterflies left but some are still turning up.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Small or Large White

Post by Katrina »

I went out yesterday to Castle Hill in almost continuous rain. I found this white - is anyone confident on Small Or Large? My initial thought looking at it was small but it does look like you can just see the black through the outside wing and it looks like it extends quite far round the wing. Later when the rain stopped I saw 2 Red Admirals and 2 Meadow Browns.
Attachments
DSC09274.jpg
DSC09305.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

My moneys on a Large White there Katrina :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'd go with Buggy on that one, Katrina. You're right about the black showing through much further than it would on a Small White. I think the smudge of black scales on the top of the hindwing may be a Large White thing too, but wouldn't swear to that one! :)

Dave

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Buggy, you are becoming my go to white ID person.
Thanks Dave I think the smudge may be a thing too looking at the pictures in the pocket guide.

David M

Post by David M »

Large White for sure.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It was a tricky one Katrina, but I've used the 'smudge' marking before to distinguish between Small and Large :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks for the ID help everyone

Katrina

Mill Hill

Post by Katrina »

I went to Mill Hill today. It was a pleasure to meet Jerry who pointed out a Wall on my arrival. It was also a pleasure to finally meet Dave Cook (and Bella and Bertie). Stationary Clouded Yellows and Walls were as elusive as Trevor (who I kept missing). I did manage to find a relaxing Peacock who had nice blue streaks on the hindwings.
Attachments
DSC09398.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

Sorry to have missed you yesterday, Katrina. I did, earlier in the day, mention to Dave Cook
that we might see you, as I know you sometimes have Wednesday off work.
Might bump into you at my second home, High and Over, sometime !.

Trevor.
PS. Peacocks don't come better than that one.

David M

Post by David M »

Hard to see how one could improve on that Peacock image, Katrina. A beautiful, fresh specimen with its wings extended perfectly. Few insects are more striking than this.

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a lovely shot of the Peacock, Katrina. :) I'm pretty certain it's the same butterfly I photographed on Tuesday - those hindwing streaks are spot on identical. It wouldn't keep very still for me, though... :wink:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a picture perfect Peacock Katrina :D Does having those blue streaks make it a named ab or form?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you David , you are too kind. At the risk of sounding like a perfectionist there could have been a better background and the antennae could have been more in focus but otherwise I was very pleased. It certainly was/ is a beauty of a butterfly though.
Thanks Trevor, I will bump into you sometime no doubt.
Thanks Millerd, I think you are right it looks like the same one. I like you Cloudie and Wall photos.
Thanks Wurzel,I don't know if an ab or not but I have looked at a few more Peacock images on this site and some of them posted on this site have a little blue there so probably not but who knows.

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Katrina,

Your Peacock is ab. diopthalmica, which is often overlooked.
http://www.britishbutterflyaberrations. ... berrations
I cannot take the credit for discovering this, because other members have previously flagged this up (most recently Allan.W) viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9517

Could you add the image to the Species-Specific Album (Peacock aberrations category) when you get time please.

Vince

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Katrina ,
I,m glad someone else is also finding these Blue spotted AB; Peacocks ,I,ve seen four now this season ,and even found one or two amongst my old shots ,can,t say I,ve really noticed them, before this season ,yours is a beauty ,with very large spots /streaks . Nice one !!
Regards Allan.W.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Vince and Allan and apologies Allan for missing yours before (sometimes not enough hours in my day!) Also what a great resource the website linked is
The Neil Freeman photo 10.08.13 in the species section seems to have the blue dots too!

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks for spotting the Peacock's unusual markings, Katrina. I can now file my photos in the "abs" drawer! :)

Dave

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I went to Mill Hill at about 3pm today. I saw in rather dodgy weather Walls, Meadow Browns, Common Blues, a White and a Small Copper.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_221f.jpeg

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Very handsome Peacock there Katrina! Good to see you’re still finding some fresh butterflies. The weather has been a bit dodgy lately, seems autumn is on time this year.

ATB

James

Return to “Personal Diaries”