Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

trevor wrote:Well done with the female Wall, James. I'll be back at H&O on Friday !.
Glad that Bugboy had a worthwhile trip.

All the best,
Trevor.
Thank you Trevor, I hope you have a good day tomorrow the weather looks very nice. Bugboy and I had a really enjoyable day. Plenty of butterflies about so it was definitely worth the trip.
bugboy wrote:You DID get the day posted before me :shock: Thanks for the tour, I can see the attraction now :)
I was sure your post would appear before mine! I had half an hour to spare before dinner so I thought I'd post something on time for a change. Those female Wall were gorgeous weren't they!!
Wurzel wrote:The Walls were nowhere near being overshadowed today Rex - that female is a beaut, so fresh - I haven't seen a female Wall this year :shock: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
There were some stunning and very fresh female Wall's about, still a few fresh males too. Hopefully you'll catch up with a female Wall next spring, they are a beautifully marked butterfly.
David M wrote:You were rewarded for your admirable perseverance, James. That's a beautiful female Wall Brown and I suppose with Badger Bob around, the likelihood of finding an early stage was approaching 100%!!
Thanks David, you really need perseverance with Wall, their reputation is well deserved! When you get a decent shot of a wall it does feel rewarding because most of the time they have you tearing your hair out! Bob is just excellent all round especially when it comes to Wall Browns.

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just caught up with your set of Walls, James. A lovely selection with a couple of cracking underside shots. :) It's a shame I couldn't get down there too - it sounds like a good time was had by all. :) Maybe Sunday...

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:Just caught up with your set of Walls, James. A lovely selection with a couple of cracking underside shots. :) It's a shame I couldn't get down there too - it sounds like a good time was had by all. :) Maybe Sunday...

Dave
Thank you Dave :D you should be fine for tomorrow if you're still thinking of going (weather permitting) If you do I hope you have great day.

Sparkling autumnal Coppers!

Yesterday afternoon I took a break from the Wall Browns to look for some 3rd brood Small Coppers. They have had a pretty good year around my home patch so I hoped to see a few fresh ones. Thanks to a few beautifully fresh individuals a few photo opportunities eventually presented themselves.

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Coppers are great aren't Rex, just as things are waning they pop up and brighten the day :D Fine couple their, especially the first which is really well marked :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Well worth hanging around for that smart Copper James. Good to see you managed some good shots of it, a pretty good afternoon!!

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Coppers are great aren't Rex, just as things are waning they pop up and brighten the day :D Fine couple their, especially the first which is really well marked :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
They certainly are Wurzel, Small Coppers Have been struggling down this way over the past few years, thankfully they've begun to bounce back this year. Long may it continue.
badgerbob wrote:Well worth hanging around for that smart Copper James. Good to see you managed some good shots of it, a pretty good afternoon!!
Thank you Bob, it was a very enjoyable afternoon, I think we both got some nice shots - despite the strong breeze!

Thanks both for the kind comments.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice Coppers, James - as Wurzel says, they brighten the day! :) There are a few around at the moment - including a a handful at Mill Hill today.

Dave

Butterflysaurus rex

millerd wrote:Very nice Coppers, James - as Wurzel says, they brighten the day! :) There are a few around at the moment - including a a handful at Mill Hill today.

Dave
Thanks very much Dave, as I just commented in your diary - I hope you caught up with some Wall Browns today. Yes indeed Small Coppers never fail to make me smile, and when they are fresh they are quite stunning.

Best wishes

James

Butterflysaurus rex

In Autumns pale light.

I managed to pop out for a wonder on the downs close to home last Sunday afternoon where I hoped to find some fresh Commas and Red Admirals.
It was quite warm with a weak sun failing to penetrate the thick haze, initially things looked rather bleak, a once great place for 3rd brood Wall was utterly devoid of life. All I saw were a few Large and Small Whites flying over the recently ploughed fields, determined to find something more I pushed on further into the downs than I'd initially intended. Along the way I saw the first of a few male Wall Browns all on private land making photography impossible. Finally some other species started to appear and I enjoyed a pretty good hour or so before the light became too poor to continue and I made for home.

Red Admirals were easily the most numerous butterfly with individuals lining the route as they basked on top of the hedgerows.

Considering that Commas had a great start to the year and were quite numerous during the summer, I expected to see more than two, I suspect there are more to come if the weather stays mild. They certainly do a splendid job blending in with the autumn leaves.

Finally just before I was about to make my way home a beautiful female Wall landed nearby, the flash of orange had me thinking it was another Comma at first so I'm glad that I went in for a closer look.

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

What a beautifully marked female Wall :D :mrgreen: That second Red Admiral shot is a cracker too - those red,evil eyes watching you :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shot of the Wall rex, :mrgreen: Can't seem to find any here. weather permitting I might try Southport tomorrow :D Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great shots as usual but my favourite is that Comma on the Blackberries, that would make a great picture framed on the wall.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

I love that first image in your post from 23rd September, James. That is a highly attractive Small Copper with its smaller than usual forewing spots, not to mention the ‘blue badge’ on the hindwings!

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:What a beautifully marked female Wall :D :mrgreen: That second Red Admiral shot is a cracker too - those red,evil eyes watching you :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
She was a cracking specimen Wurzel :D those red eyes you pointed out are one of the reasons I liked the shot from that angle. :wink:
Goldie M wrote:Great shot of the Wall rex, :mrgreen: Can't seem to find any here. weather permitting I might try Southport tomorrow :D Goldie :D
Thank you Goldie :D Wall have done quite well locally despite the very unsettled weather. Nearly all the 3rd brood Wall reports appear to have been from here in the south. If there are any in your area I hope you find some.
bugboy wrote:Great shots as usual but my favourite is that Comma on the Blackberries, that would make a great picture framed on the wall.
Very kind of you Paul - thank you :D it does look very autumnal, hard to believe how different the weather is compared to this time last year!
David M wrote:I love that first image in your post from 23rd September, James. That is a highly attractive Small Copper with its smaller than usual forewing spots, not to mention the ‘blue badge’ on the hindwings!
Thanks David I really appreciate your kind and generous comment, I was very pleased with that image, it’s not very often they sit up high like that and pose so beautifully!

Many thanks to everyone for your comments, it’s looking like this might possibly be my last illustrated post of 2017. Then again who knows what might happen, I always have my camera handy - just in case. :wink:

Butterflysaurus rex

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Every spring I look forward to meeting up with my friend Bob on our first foray into the Sussex countryside, and this year would prove to be a rather special and memorable start to the season when we had a wonderful encounter with these beautiful creatures.

It was a real delight to see both male and female Emperor moths - and eventually a mating pair! (something I had never seen before) even as I took these photos I thought to myself "if they come out OK I'll save these for my Christmas diary entry".

So here they are - a very happy Christmas to everyone here on UKB!

Best Wishes

James

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

That was a pretty special day James. You could even call it an 'Emperor of a day'!!

All the best to you all and see you on the other side!!

Butterflysaurus rex

badgerbob wrote:That was a pretty special day James. You could even call it an 'Emperor of a day'!!

All the best to you all and see you on the other side!!
Indeed it was Bob! Can't get a better start to the season than having an Emperor of a day!!

My best Xmas wishes to you, see you soon - not long to wait now.

John W

Post by John W »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote: It was a real delight to see both male and female Emperor moths - and eventually a mating pair!
Very nice James! Where did you find the Emperor moths?

Happy Christmas to you too :D

Cheers
John

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning shots as ever James :D :mrgreen:
Happy Solstice and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours James :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you back, James, and what a stunning re-entrance with that divine and impossibly rare shot of a mating pair of Emperor moths!!

I'd willingly go to £250 to witness such a phenomenon.

Well done and thanks for sharing!

Return to “Personal Diaries”