Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I only joined UKB last weekend after years of lurking so I thought it's probably a bit late in the season to start up a 'personal diary' then I had an idea :idea:
Why not kick things off with a retrospective of my season this year in a "month by month" account. Then after that I could post some of my photos from the past few years.

Hopefully there will still be some excitement (re: migrants) to post about before the winter draws in, but for now here's my retrospective of 2013:

Retrospective Diary Pt 1, April 2013:

Last winter seemed to go on for ever, I was desperate to get out and feel some warm sunshine on my back, and hopefully reacquaint myself with some old friends.

Even by late April the buds were still tightly shut on most of the trees allowing some great views of some spring birds that would normally be obscured by vegetation.
Blackcap.JPG
One of the first "old friends" I saw was a rather worn and sleepy looking Brimstone.
Brimstone.JPG
My first STS's and Peacock's of 2013.
Small tortoiseshell.JPG
Peacock.JPG
The STS soon got to work pairing up, then egg laying began.
STS Ovipositing.JPG
A slow start to 2013 but with May came some good weather and some warmth, then everything seemed to arrive at once here in Sussex! I could barely keep up with it all :shock:

Comments always welcome :D
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Before I continue with my "retrospective diary" for 2013 I thought I'd post a 'Clouded Yellow round up'. I've really loved every minute of seeing and photographing these beautiful visitors. In fact I had not seen a single Clouded Yellow since the last invasion during 2009! Frustratingly I did not manage to get a single decent photo of a Clouded Yellow that year!

This year with their 'very welcome' return I've tried to make up for it.

I am particularly fond of the 'back lit' photos, the Yellow colour is so intense and summery I can't get enough of it, so I must apologise in advance if I've posted too many of these.

Lastly another delight for me was seeing and photographing the Helice type of CY, it may not be a pale or Berger's but they were still a beautiful 'added extra' and to top it off most of the Helice I saw (5 in total) were in really great condition.

So here they are in no particular order.
01.Clouded Yellow.JPG
02.Clouded Yellow.JPG
03.Clouded yellow.JPG
04.Clouded Yellow.JPG
05.Clouded Yellow.JPG
06.Clouded Yellow.JPG
07.Clouded Yellow.JPG
08.Clouded Yellow.JPG
09.Clouded Yellow.JPG
10.Clouded Yellow.JPG
11.Clouded Yellow - Helice.JPG
Of course the season is not over yet and I hope to get some shots of of some home grown freshly emerged Clouded Yellows when they start to appear.

B,saurus
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm looking forward to this series of posts, Rex.

I feel you have a few things up your sleeve (like aberrant Green Hairstreaks) :)

Butterflysaurus rex

David M wrote:I'm looking forward to this series of posts, Rex.

I feel you have a few things up your sleeve (like aberrant Green Hairstreaks) :)
Well I just had a quick look up there David but nothing else fell out :D I think that the aberrant GHS would easily be the rarest sighting I've had to date.

Best

J

David M

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:
David M wrote:I'm looking forward to this series of posts, Rex.

Well I just had a quick look up there David but nothing else fell out :D I think that the aberrant GHS would easily be the rarest sighting I've had to date.

Best

J
Dunno. I have you down as a 'dark horse' :)

Butterflysaurus rex

I think I'm probably more of a small grey Pony David :wink:

David M

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:I think I'm probably more of a small grey Pony David :wink:
I'll respond to that when this diary of yours begins a fourth page!!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Beautiful photographs, 'saurus Rex- I particularly envy you the Helice : I've never seen one but since the CY invasion I've been checking EVERY White that's fluttered my way with no luck, so I've been kept very busy!

Butterflysaurus rex

Hoggers wrote:Beautiful photographs, 'saurus Rex- I particularly envy you the Helice : I've never seen one but since the CY invasion I've been checking EVERY White that's fluttered my way with no luck, so I've been kept very busy!
Thanks Hoggers, I was delighted to see the Helice this year, after I saw the first one at Rowland Wood I've been just like you, having a double take at every white in the vicinity :lol: I've even chased a couple of whites to double check!
There are so many CY's over here that I hope you'll get to see one before the seasons over.

I wish you the very best of luck in your quest.

best

J

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:I am particularly fond of the 'back lit' photos, the Yellow colour is so intense and summery I can't get enough of it, so I must apologise in advance if I've posted too many of these.
Hi
Great to see a new diary :D I do not think you can have too many Clouded Yellows, we should make the most of them whilst they are there :D :D I also like the backlit ones, I think the second one is my favourite:D

Butterflysaurus rex

jackz432r wrote:
Butterflysaurus rex wrote:I am particularly fond of the 'back lit' photos, the Yellow colour is so intense and summery I can't get enough of it, so I must apologise in advance if I've posted too many of these.
Hi
Great to see a new diary :D I do not think you can have too many Clouded Yellows, we should make the most of them whilst they are there :D :D I also like the backlit ones, I think the second one is my favourite:D
Hello Jack, thanks very much for the compliment, I've been following your adventures for quite some time and enjoying your lovely photos. It's nice to be able to join in the fun with you all.

Best

J

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to the next instalment Rex :wink: Cracking shots of the Cloudiest and that Helice us lush :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Looking forward to the next instalment Rex :wink: Cracking shots of the Cloudiest and that Helice us lush :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel, I really appreciate your kind comments. I was thinking of posting one installment every week, does that sound like agood idea?

Best

J

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sounds good to me, :D just let me know which day you're going to post so we don't clash and then we can corner the market :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Sounds good to me, :D just let me know which day you're going to post so we don't clash and then we can corner the market :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I think we should join forces and show em how it's really done :D really well done by you, and really badly done by me :lol:

Best

J

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Fantastic pictures of Clouded Yellows, Rex. I look forward to seeing more pictures of other butterflies.
What part of the country are you from?

Butterflysaurus rex

NickMorgan wrote:Fantastic pictures of Clouded Yellows, Rex. I look forward to seeing more pictures of other butterflies.
What part of the country are you from?
Thank you kindly Nick, I live in Sussex but I travel beyond it's boarders on occasion :D

Butterflysaurus rex

Steyning: Brown Hairstreaks

I took another trip to Steyning Rifle Range (my 4th) in ideal conditions today after reading Neil Hulme's diary showing a lovely photo of a very fresh example.
In comparison to Neil's day yesterday things were a lot quieter with only 2 BHS's seen and within range of a camera. No sign of the 2 fresh ones Neil saw yesterday :( I met more lovely people there today some of which had travelled as far as Ashford in Kent! Unfortunately they 'and a few other people' arrived rather late in the day and had sadly missed all the action.

The best time to be there is between 11am and 2.30pm - so I'm reliably told.

I only managed to see and photograph one of the two Brownies, at least it was in better condition with the other one being in pretty poor shape.

A third BHS was seen and photographed at the back of the allotments on the path leading to the Rifle Range, this one was easily the best BHS seen today.

Other Species seen by me were:

X2 Adonis Blue
Several Common Blue
X2 Small Copper
X2 Clouded Yellow
X1 Brimstone
X1 Wall
Lots of Speckled wood
and a few Meadow Browns

A few of my pictures from the day.
Brown Hairstreak 1.JPG
Brown Hairstreak 2.JPG
Speckled wood.JPG
Brimstone.JPG
Adonis Blue.JPG
Best
B,saurus
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Butterflysaurus rex

Before I continue with my "retrospective diary" of this year I'm posting up a few of my "end of season" adventures.

Today I made a quick trip up to Cissbury Ring to look for Small Coppers, it didn't take long to find some and most were still in very good condition.

Numbers were not high but I saw at least 6 different individuals in one smallish area. I was especially delighted to see these little beauties because numbers seemed to have decreased dramatically over the past few years in and around my home patch.
Small Copper  1.JPG
Small Copper 2.JPG
Small Copper 3.JPG
Small Copper 4.JPG
B,saurus
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of Small Coppers Rex :D I can't remember if I had them in my top 10 list of favourites, but they should be there!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”