Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Postby bugboy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:08 pm

It's been many a year since I've seen one of those beauties, I quite often come across caterpillars but I was a young lad the last time I saw an adult one in the flesh!
Some addictions are good for the soul!

trevor

Postby trevor » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:18 am

A rare encounter indeed !. One of those right place, right time occasions.
I have only seen an Emperor Moth once, drying it's wings on a wall at work,
about ten years ago.

Once again, have a great Christmas. :D .
Trevor.

Neil Freeman

Postby Neil Freeman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi James,

Superb Emperor Moths, it has been a while since I have seen any in the wild. Great find and beautiful images :D :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Neil.

Butterflysaurus rex

Postby Butterflysaurus rex » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 pm

John W wrote:Very nice James! Where did you find the Emperor moths?

Happy Christmas to you too :D

Cheers
John

Cheers John, you can find Emperor Moths all along the South coast, these particular ones were quite local - on the outskirts of Seaford. Having said that they are not easy to find we just got very lucky indeed!

Wurzel wrote:Stunning shots as ever James :D :mrgreen:
Happy Solstice and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours James :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Very kind of you Wurzel, yep with the shortest day now behind us we’re marching towards spring. I hope you and your family have a fabulous Christmas. :D have the goodest of gooduns. :wink:

David M wrote:Great to see you back, James, and what a stunning re-entrance with that divine and impossibly rare shot of a mating pair of Emperor moths!!

I'd willingly go to £250 to witness such a phenomenon.

Well done and thanks for sharing!

Many thanks David, I usually wake from hibernation for Christmas, don’t want to miss all the fun. The mating pair of Emperor moths was something I’d always wanted to see, as you say it’s far from a common sight!

bugboy wrote:It's been many a year since I've seen one of those beauties, I quite often come across caterpillars but I was a young lad the last time I saw an adult one in the flesh!

Hi Paul, I too had seen the caterpillars before but the adults are very elusive indeed! They are truly spectacular and fully deserve the title of Emperor. Seeing a mating pair was a dream come true for me.

trevor wrote:A rare encounter indeed !. One of those right place, right time occasions.
I have only seen an Emperor Moth once, drying it's wings on a wall at work,
about ten years ago.

Once again, have a great Christmas. :D .
Trevor.

You never forget an encounter with these beauties Trevor, I was very lucky to have shared the experience with Bob.

Neil Freeman wrote:Hi James,

Superb Emperor Moths, it has been a while since I have seen any in the wild. Great find and beautiful images :D :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Neil.

Thank you Neil, it seems surprising that such a large insect can remain so inconspicuous! Their camouflage is hugely effective, it has to be, they would be a veritable feast for a hungry predator. They are certainly a feast for the eyes that’s for sure!

Thanks to you all for your very kind comments and best Yuletide wishes, have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

James

Return to “Personal Diaries”