CJB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
CJB

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

Post by CJB »

Good morning UK B'ers,

I have returned from two weeks in Cornwall and thought I would share my best picture (taken on the mobile) together with reports of all things fluttery.

I saw quite a few different species and rather than resorting to photographing them, I made a mental note instead:
1.Common Blue
2.Brown Argus
3.Meadow Brown
4.Wall Brown
5.Hedge Brown
6.Red Admiral
7.Small White
8.Large White
9.Green-veined White
10.Speckled Wood
11.Small Tortoiseshell
12.Painted Lady
13.Comma
14.Small Heath
15.CLOUDED YELLOW!!! :D :D

It was not a bad selection and I was so pleased to see my first CY of the year. Interestingly it was in exactly the same spot as I saw one almost a year to the day. However, the highlight was my first attempt at capturing a HH on camera-phone; without too much of a build up, here it is!
Hummingbird Hawkmoth
Hummingbird Hawkmoth
I also had a scout round my local patch yesterday and saw Red Admiral, Brimstone, Large White, Small White, Green-Veined White, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Common Blue, Comma, Brown Argus, Small Tortoiseshell; not bad really! :)

Just me or does it feel as though we are piling towards Autumn? I noticed that there was no summer bird-song to be heard yesterday evening although the Swallows and Martins are still here? The Swifts have definitely gone and the only noticeable songster was the Robin, which made it sound almost wintery...... :( Do they know something we don't?!?!? :?

Flutter on!

CJB

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Re: CJB

Post by MikeOxon »

Aren't iPhones wonderful! That's a marvellous shot of the hawk moth :)

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thanks Mike!!

I am not sure I could capture that again!

Flutter on!

CJB

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on the Clouded Yellow and that is an absolutely cracking shot of the Hawkmoth :D :mrgreen: A good cold winter would be good for the butterflies though I don't think the season is done yet, keep that iPhone fully charged :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

CJB

Post by CJB »

Thank you Wurzel and wise words about more possibles to come; I heard on the Radio that they are expecting it to stay mild until November.
I tried to emulate your ability at catching dragon-flies/darters on camera and couldn't get anywhere near them, which highlights just how good your picture was! :mrgreen:
I will watch with interest to see the reports coming in if the weather stays mild.
Flutter on!
CJB

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice Brown Trout you posted in Wurzel's PD CJB. I had a rod on the Longford Estate, downstream from Salisbury for many years, when Tom Williams and Mike Trowbridge were the river keepers, Downton was my second home. Included in the ticket was some classic chalkstream fishing for Brown Trout on the river Ebble, great times. Also some brilliant Salmon fishing on the estate, caught my fair share! Those were the days :D

Mike

CJB

Post by CJB »

Good morning Mike,

Sadly last night was the last time I can fish as the season is now over! I know exactly where you are talking about on the Ebble.

I am lucky enough to have access to the Colne below where I live on a stretch that hasn't been fished for 20 years!? It is plagued by American Signal Crayfish (I caught 400 from one pool!!) so the fish have struggled to breed, but as ever have managed to keep going! It means that they are fully wild brownies and as cunning as you like!

Happy times!

Flutter on!

CJB

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi CJB, the Gloucestershire Colne in common with many other rivers in this country, has suffered abstraction, lack of weed growth, Signal Crayfish and various other kinds of predation on it's fish stocks. It's really good to know that it still capable of supporting a population of wild Brown trout, as illustrated in your excellent photo :D
On the butterfly front today, I have seen Small Tortoiseshells, Commas, Red Admirals and a lone Peacock enjoying the warm autumn sunshine :D

great stuff,

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just seen your moth CJB , love it Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”