Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Pauline

Post by trevor »

I have just seen your Brown Hairstreaks, you certainly did get the lot !. Lovely shots.
When this season is over, and 2017 is analysed, I think it will go down as an exceptional Hairstreak year.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Paul. I find I am never disappointed at Shipton.

Knowing of your success at Shipton in the past Wurzel I am sure there will be several hanging on for you :D Have a smashing time in Wales :)

Thank you David. I hope you get the opportunity before the season ends - else you will have to immerse yourself in the immatures :)

It was very kind and thoughtful of you Mark to bring this to my attention - much appreciated. I certainly am interested and I think you are right - they are very similar to those on the Ringlet. I'd be interested to know where you found those orchids?

Cheers Trevor - it was an enjoyable 90 mins and very typical of Shipton from past experience.

I only have one very poor shot to post today. It was incredibly windy and butterflies in this area were scarce. However, this female Common Blue stood out - an ab surely? She wanted to open her wings but the wind was too strong. I only managed to grab this shot before she was blown away, never to be seen again :(
P2090714ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fingers crossed Pauline :? Your female blue looks really blue, could be a named aberrant but I couldn't see a similar looking one in the Cockayne Collection :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Shame your female Common Blue wasn't more accommodating, Pauline. She looks very unusual - powdery blue rather than the darker shade one normally sees.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Lovely set of images of the Brown Hairstreaks Pauline. They look in great shape down your neck of the woods.

Regards Kev

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It's good of you to go to so much trouble Wurzel - I only mentioned it because Iain Leach has some lovely shots in the ab. section which look just like it.

Believe me David I tried! I tried even harder to find her with no luck :( I guess it's just one of those frustrating incidents that we have all experienced :roll:

Thank you for the compliment Kev - yes, it was really great to see them and even more satisfying to have found them soon after arrival :D

I've been getting a bit weary of the weather dictating my activities so I decided to go out anyway to see what was about. I wasn't worried about the rain but that wind was strong!!!!!! I was wearing a loose t-shirt which was almost ripped off me several times and most of the butterflies were hunkered down for some protection (felt like joining them!). So, no pretty poses today but there was a lot going on - lovely fresh (and not so fresh Chalkhills), Common Blue, Brown Argus (no photo as I fell down a Badger hole pursuing it!) ..... but no Adonis seen. A couple of Silver-y moths spotted together which I've not seen before. I scrutinised the Mullein plants for any sign of larva but no success there either, just loads of Shield bugs. Still, it certainly blew the cobwebs away .......... :lol:
P2090803ad.jpg
P2090797ad.jpg
I'm thinking this might be an ab. as it seems devoid of most markings?
P2090776ad.jpg
P2090774ad.jpg
P2090770ad.jpg
P2090782ad.jpg
P2090812ad.jpg
P2090765ad.jpg
P2090745ad.jpg
P2090739ad.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No worries Pauline :D That Chalkhill looks good for an ab, I think it was called a. obscura :? Your open winged female also looks unusual with those two white spots on the hind wing :D :mrgreen: It's great to get out when you've been stuck in, I did manage a quick trip to Shipton - 2 males and 2 female Brostreaks and a 2nd Brood Dingy Skipper - sot hey're still going strong if you can get over there :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - for various reasons I shall probably be stuck in for a few days now so seeing as my internet access has just been restored (problems at local telephone exchange apparently) I'd better post these shots of SSS from Oxenbourne. I was pleased to see 3 females and 5-6 males - the most I have recorded for a few years now and unexpectedly one of the females was in the middle of the track not far from the gate (for those familiar with the site):
P2100051ad.jpg
P2100084ad.jpg
P2100026ad.jpg
P2100006ad.jpg
P2100068ad.jpg
P2100004ad.jpg

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great photos Pauline, I particularly like the two on the same flower shot. Tricky to get the both in focus but you aced it!

David M

Post by David M »

Agreed. The image of those two Silver Spotted Skippers facing off against one another is a cracker. Well done.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Skipper's Pauline, I second everyone about the pair eyeing one another. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Katrina. I had to get down and dirty for those shots so I expect in a couple of days I shall be finding dozens of ticks on me :twisted: :lol:

Thank you too David although I think it was more luck than anything. There was a strong breeze blowing so I just took loads of shots hoping one would be in focus - and luckily it was :D

I appreciate that Goldie - you've recently been posting shots of impressive species I'll probably never see but I do like your Brimstone feeding. I think capturing the butterfly engaged in some sort of activity really adds something to the shot.

Apart from the Skippers at Oxenbourne one of the other things that caught my attention was a Small Copper egg-laying. I've seen this before of course but nothing like this. This worn little lady crawled round and round the plant each time depositing an egg in the same place until I unwittingly disturbed her. Undeterred, she returned and did the same thing round the back of the plant, resting by her eggs before starting the same process about 18" away on another plant. Unfortunately, I could not stay to see her finish the job. I could have collected them all up easily but resisted as I have reared these before and I think it will be more interesting to monitor how they fare in the wild:
P2100002ad.jpg
P2090987ad.jpg
A few more shots from the same brief outing below:
P2090955ad.jpg
P2090926ad.jpg
I find it hard to believe that this is the first coupling for the female as both butterflies looked really quite worn.
P2090888ad.jpg
P2090881ad.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great shots Pauline, as usual. Those two Skippers look like they're holding hands :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Some more lovely shots Pauline. Do you post them bigger anywhere? I'd love to be able to look at them if you do. :D

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, I love the shot of the Chalkhill, very nice, When I got home from taking those shots I found I'd been bitten but it was worth a few bites :D
I hope your okay these days Pauline you sound to be rather grounded at times :?: Goldie :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic set of shots recently Pauline :D :mrgreen: , as usual I'm playing catch-up but the two Skipper shot is a cracker :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I don't think I've ever seen such a tatty female 'in cop'. Perhaps it IS a second pairing for her...I fail to see how she could escape the attention of all the males for such a length of time for it to be her first.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Your Silver-spotted shots are lovely, Pauline. It's hard enough persuading one to sit still, let alone two at a time... :)

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all so much for your lovely, much appreciated comments :D

I agree David, I am convinced it is not the first time.

I have never seen 2 females so close together Dave - one looked quite fresh, but like the fresh female I watched the previous week, no males came close and I saw no egg-laying :( .

I could definitely do with a guided tour round Bookham Paul when things settle down here (hint, hint).

Thank you for your concern Goldie but you've seen what it's like here - just one thing after the other :roll: :lol: I'm fine but have window fitters in - next week it will surely be BAU?????

Cheers Wurzel - I was quite chuffed with that myself :) .

Having seen your shots Peter I shall take that as a massive compliment but I'm afraid I don't post them elsewhere - I started my diary primarily as a record of my adventures, hoping I could learn from the wealth of knowledge on this site both about photography and butterflies and I am still doing so :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Somehow in all the chaos that is going on here I seem to have missed recording a few recent outings to local sites so I shall summarise briefly. At Noar Hill I was pleased to see a great number of butterflies albeit a mixture of both old and new:
P2090865ad.jpg
A great deal of egg-laying was going on - Common Blue, Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper. I watched this Meadow Brown lay several eggs which I have in the past photographed
P2090849ad.jpg
but it was the Gatekeeper which drew my attention. I have never seen a Gatekeeper egg before so once the adult had moved on I moved in to search and was pleased to see this egg:
P2090855ad.jpg
Quite a few Small Blues are still around at Paulsgrove, many quite worn now but looking at the kidney vetch it was possible to find a fair few eggs which haven't yet hatched:
P2090871ad.jpg
P2090894d.jpg
P2090914ad.jpg
Hopefully next week I shall be free to move further afield.

Return to “Personal Diaries”