Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Janet Turnbull

Re: Pauline

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Poor little Blue! I watched a female Silver-spotted Blue laying eggs but try as I might, I could not find them, they were either so tiny or very well concealed. I'm still not sure which is the Red Admiral egg on the nettle flower - as you say, well camoufkaged!
Janet

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Pauline especially the double Brimstone :shock: not something I've seen before :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Nice Brimstone shots, Pauline. Regarding your comments about local elms - we DO have a few here and there, but the problem is that the WLHs seem reluctant to leave the upper reaches of the trees round these parts. This is why I'm always very envious of those who can get up close and personal with this fascinating species.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Janet, just like the Common Blue eggs, SSB eggs are tiny and can be very difficult to locate. Sometimes I even carry a hand lens with me! As for the Red Admiral eggs which were not laid on the leaf, I have circled the egg so that it is more obvious:
P2080780bd.jpg
Thanks Wurzel - there were loads of them but I do like that shot :)

Thank you too David. I can understand that it must be very frustrating if you know they are there and they just won't come down :evil: A tall ladder or a chain saw perhaps?? :wink: :lol:

Today in very blustery conditions which were not conducive to photography I was pleased to see 2 male SSS even if they were down in the grass - possibly the first recorded in Hampshire.
P2080907ad.jpg
P2080909ad.jpg
There was plenty of other butterfly activity including what I assume is a second brood Dingy Skipper:
P2080944ad.jpg
P2080941ad.jpg
I watched a couple of female DGF, both egg-laying:
P2080901ad.jpg
....and several Common Blue engaged in the same activity:
P2080883ad.jpg
P2080915ad.jpg
A single Small Copper and several Brown Argus were also noted.

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! A second brood Dingy! I've only ever seen that on one occasion.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, just catching up on some posts, love the Brimstone shots also the SS Skipper ones, I looked for them yesterday but no luck, been very busy here, hope your feeling better now, let me know Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Come to think of it David, I don't think I've EVER seen one! Wow! :D I have been keeping my eyes open for 2nd brood Dukes but I'll be surprised if that happens given the extent of the predation of eggs and larva this year :(

Thank you Goldie. I'll email you soon but it has been a bit manic here :roll:

I would have liked to have spent a bit more time on the moth trap this morning but there just wasn't any to spare given unforeseen circumstances. Amongst all the moths I noticed Black Arches, Bright-line Brown-eye, Brimstone, various Footman (or should that be Footmen!). An old favourite, the Poplar Hawk-moth was present and what I believe is a Yellow-tail (as opposed to Brown-tail). I think one of the others was a Pebble Prominent - but I've been caught out with that before as I think there is another similar one which escapes me right now. A pretty little thing I have identified as LOZOTAENIODES FORMOSANA caught my attention but the star today was the Pine Hawk-moth - another splendid specimen which I have never before encountered:
P2080985ad.jpg
P2080989ad.jpg
P2080979ad.jpg
P2080998ad.jpg
P2090002ad.jpg
P2090006ad.jpg

bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Pauline

Your moths, Yellow-tail and Lesser Swallow Prominent. Similar to Swallow Prominent (not a Pebble Prominent).

Cheers

Maurice

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

I love the Pine Hawk...one I have yet to see :mrgreen: :D

I could be wrong but I think your micro is Rhyacionia buoliana or possibly the very similar R. pinicolana rather than L. formosana...very similar but I have had formosana and it has a slightly different 'look' to it.

All the best,

Neil.

bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Pauline

I agree with Neil in so much that it isn't R. formosana. Having had a closer look at the micro I think that it is R. pinicolana, but I'm not an expert on these micros.

Cheers

Maurice

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Some very nice sightings there, Pauline - especially the 2nd brood Dingy! I trust you'll send these into the appropriate BC branch; I suspect that, over the long term, there's a trend toward an increasing number of 2nd broods for usually-univoltine species! :) Can't wait for the White Admiral 2nd brood ;-)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Pete! I tend to agree :)

Thank you Maurice and Neil for help with ID's. Yesterday was a difficult day and with so little sleep I could hardly string a sentence together, let alone ID moths :roll: :lol:

With the weather being as it is (chucking it down here with some thunder!! :( ) it seems a good opportunity for an update on the Puss Moth so below are a selection of shots from the many which I took whilst recording their development through the various stages:
P2050405ad.jpg
P2050418ad.jpg
P2060124ad.jpg
P2060142ad.jpg
P2060536ad.jpg
P2070556ad.jpg
P2070929ad.jpg
P2070956ad.jpg
Perhaps even more interesting to me was to observe the start of the pupation process. The colour of the larva darkened extremely quickly over a couple of hours and it started to search the various bits of bark I had provided looking for a place to pupate, exploring each nook and cranny. I watched as it chewed the wood to create its protective casing but at that point I had to leave it for an hour. When I returned it was a case of job done. It had abandoned the earlier attempt and had created an almost invisible casing, unfortunately spanning 2 separate bits of wood:
P2080622ad.jpg
P2080567ad.jpg
P2080658ad.jpg
P2080662ad.jpg
P2080663ad.jpg
P2080665ad.jpg
P2080687ad.jpg
P2080691ad.jpg

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Pauline wrote:Hi Janet, just like the Common Blue eggs, SSB eggs are tiny and can be very difficult to locate. Sometimes I even carry a hand lens with me! As for the Red Admiral eggs which were not laid on the leaf, I have circled the egg so that it is more obvious:

P2080780bd.jpg
Hi Pauline, sorry for the delay, I've just seen your reply - thanks for showing me where to look. Seems an odd place to lay the egg if the flower will be finished before the egg hatches - she must have been in a rush! :shock:

David M

Post by David M »

What a transformation! The varying colours are quite remarkable in that sequence, Pauline. Nature at its best. :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic sequence of shots Pauline and a second brood Dingy as well - I'll be running out of Mr Greens :roll: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'd marked the spot Janet and went to check on it this afternoon but it looks like it has been flattened by a tractor :(

I couldn't agree more David - don't think I'll ever get bored of these mini miracles :)

Cheers Wurzel. Don't think I deserve the Mr Greens tho as I reckon I just got lucky :D

Having been sent some smashing shots of BH at Noar Hill there was nothing for it but to jump in the car and head for the Hill. After about an hour searching I was elated when I saw one but I was looking into the sun and was at an angle. I took a record shot anyway which was just as well because just as I moved into position for a perfectly posed butterfly a Gatekeeper sent it soaring off into the tree canopy:
P2090056ad.jpg
A couple of moths disturbed during my search. After recent poor efforts I am reluctant to try to identify them but if pushed I'd say one was a Shaded Broad-bar and the other some sort of Footman, possibly Dingy, but definitely the same as the one that was in my bedroom the other night:
P2090059ad.jpg
P2090057ad.jpg
I don't think it's Scarce or Common, but hey, probably not even a Footman :roll: :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great that you got the Borstreak Pauline :D :mrgreen: but I'm slightly disappointed that you didn't go to Shipton for it, I rely on your posts to let me know when they're flying there :wink: :lol: Is you moth a Buff Footman - it is a footman of some description :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'll be there soon enough Wurzel :D but you should know that Mike G reported 5 males at SB on 18th and some smashing shots of male and females from Alan T yesterday. Get there pronto! :D :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well done with BH Pauline, I think it will be a search a Gait Barrow for me though :mrgreen: Goldie :D

bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Pauline

I would go with Dingy Footman for the moth.

Cheers

Maurice

Return to “Personal Diaries”