Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for the ID and re-assurance Buggy. I tried about a dozen bee-keepers but none able to help as the swarm are in the cavities behind the wood. They did however, provide me with the number of someone who might be able to remove them. Apparently I have a couple of weeks before they settle down and start chewing things and building things! Perhaps I should take up bee-keeping!

That's great Wurzel - I looked there once (by a bench or monument) without success. I expect to see your shots about September :wink: :wink: Great Marbled White shots btw.

Thank you David. I think the Skippers are such cute, photogenic creatures but my favourite has to be the SSS. Looking forward to seeing them this year.

Yesterday, whilst watching the bees, I spent some time monitoring my Holly Blue pupa. I have no idea when to expect the butterfly to emerge and will probably miss the emergence as a result. However, I find the subtle and changing colours of the pupa to be very appealing, and it certainly seemed to darken as the day progressed. Just because I shall probably never see another one I am including a variety of shots from different angles:
P2070182ad.jpg
P2070190ad.jpg
P2070202ad.jpg
P2070209ad.jpg
P2070280ad.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I know very little about bees but, if they're honey bees, I'd have thought they are a valuable asset! I'm sure you would enjoy bee-keeping, to fill up all your spare time :lol:

That's an interesting series of photos of Holly Blue pupae.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Mike :D You know what it's like here! I can miss out on food but I need my 7 hours kip :wink: :lol: Bee-keeping will have to wait even tho it's going to cost £65.00+ to have them removed!!!!

A bit of a sad day today as I made the 3rh round trip to collect Merlin's ashes but I did manage to spend some time watching the Holly Blue pupa before I left. I was surprised at the subsequent changes in appearance over about 2.5 hours. First the pupa darkened some more and the blue became almost electric before fading to a very pale cream:
P2070393ad.jpg
P2070411ad.jpg
P2070414ad.jpg
P2070437ad.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Interesting development in the Holly Blue. Looks like it's going to be a girl though :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I would have been having a little panic by now Buggy, thinking I'd killed it, if it hadn't been for something Martin told me a while back, warning me that this happens in some species. I have subsequently found it to be true. Prior to emergence the butterfly seems to 'detach' from the casing and move down the 'canal'. In some species it is evident only by becoming translucent, as though a cling film coating is lifting from the pupa.

First off, thank you to Vince for the ID of my last strange creature - a picture-winged fly. I didn't have much time this morning (and I was determined to fit in a pub lunch :D ) so it had to be quite local. I can confirm that Chalkhills are out at Chalton:
P2070606ad.jpg
P2070715ad.jpg
P2070564ad.jpg
P2070573ad.jpg
It wasn't just Chalkhills I wanted to see. I wanted to see DGF and there were 5 or 6 in various states of wear, including and egg-laying female
P2070719ad.jpg
P2070699ad.jpg
P2070679ad.jpg
P2070717ad.jpg
Of course there weren't just Chalkhills and DGF. There were Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Gatekeeper, 3 Skipper species, Marbled White, a single Small Copper, Brown Argus (my first of the year!), Common Blue (singleton) and a Red Admiral fly by - all this accompanied to the purr of Turtle Doves but try as I might I couldn't spot them:
P2070652ad.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots Pauline, you've given mr hope I'll get to see some CH's in Kent next week and hope fully the Marble's won't have disappeared , no sign of the Gate keepers yet up here.
Sorry to hear you've been sick hope your much better now. Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Looking forward to your new Holly Blue, Pauline - one of my favorites as you know. Lovely Chalkhills - and new broods of all those others too! I feel a trip to Denbies coming on... :)

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie - I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Chalkhills :D

Thank you too Dave. You've produced some amazing images of Holly Blue this year - a result of great observation and field craft. I won't keep you waiting any longer but I'm afraid my photos of the adult are not a patch on yours. She didn't even have the grace to open her wings for me after all the care and attention I lavished on her :( :roll: However, I did get some shots of the actual emergence which show more detail than my usual efforts. She emerged about 90 seconds after I took the last image of the pupa (so you were right again Vince :D ). Looks like someone crawling out of a sleeping bag :lol: :
P2070438ad.jpg
P2070439ad.jpg
P2070440ad.jpg
P2070441ad.jpg
P2070442ad.jpg
P2070443ad.jpg
P2070444ad.jpg
P2070446ad.jpg
P2070450ad.jpg
P2070466ad.jpg
P2070474ad.jpg
P2070481ad.jpg
She was keen to depart. After 15 mins I turned my back momentarily, assuming wrongly that I probably had about an hour to get some decent shots. Not a chance. As I turned back I watched her take off up into the trees - the quickest drying wings I have experienced to date!

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Pauline

I was entranced by the earlier pictures of the Holly Blue pupa but that emergence set is wonderful :D :D

What a shame she flew away so quickly. But what you have is a fantastic story already. Very impressed and would have loved to have seen it. :D

best wishes

Peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm so pleased you liked them Peter but I would be embarrassed to tell you how many hours I have spent watching various pupa over the last couple of years to get such shots. In comparison this one was relatively easy because of the very apparent changes which signaled emergence was imminent.

Reading a forecast for heavy thunderstorms I thought I would have a crack at the moth trap, hoping I might find one of those large, impressive Hawk moths or similar which I like so much. I did not get a hawk moth but I was not disappointed as I found my first ever Scarlet Tiger moth. I had no idea they were so big - or so docile:
P2070865ad.jpg
P2070811ad.jpg
P2070818ad.jpg
I am always pleased to see the Buff-tip and on this occasion there were several:
P2070879ad.jpg
P2070774ad.jpg
This little Festoon is one I hadn't seen before and although I have seen Black Arches I hadn't realised what a colourful abdomen they have:
P2070726ad.jpg
P2070776ad.jpg
P2070782ad.jpg
There were many, many others including Snout, Common Footman, Rosy Footman, Beautiful Hook-tip, Clouded Border but I only had time to photograph a few more - the gorgeous Buff Ermine:
P2070887ad.jpg
what I think is a September Thorn?:
P2070747ad.jpg
and a couple of others which I have as yet failed to identify but wonderful camouflage on this one:
P2070803ad.jpg
P2070805ad.jpg
It is good to know there is such quantity and variety around the garden which may well be due to the fact that I am surrounded by a variety of different types of habitat.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Moth shots Pauline, Goldie :D

bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Pauline

First moth is a Garden Tiger.
The other two are Poplar Grey, I think, and a Dun-bar.

Cheers

Maurice

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Maurice beat me to it Pauline, I've still to photograph one of those :mrgreen: Lovely Chalkhills as well, just when I thought I'd caught up :roll: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Delightful Holly Blue sequence, Pauline. The undersides are a beautiful, clean white that I suppose wears off by the time most people get to observe the butterfly in the wild.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Maurice, Wurzel, Trevor, Martin and Andy for correcting my Garden Tiger moth ID. Don't know what I'd do without your help and guidance. Take that Dun-bar for example that Maurice and Andy kindly identified. I looked it up and there is such a huge amount of variation in the colours and tones it seems, I'm not sure how it is possible to get a handle on these creatures - but I shall keep trying if you keep helping me :D :D

It was an absolute joy to watch that Holly Blue emerge David. I'm so glad you liked the bits I was able to catch on camera.

Thank you Goldie - there are just so many it is quite overwhelming. I think that's why I don't put the moth trap out too often.

Thanks for the compliment Wurzel - those Chalkhills are stunning when they're fresh :D

Today I found myself watching several female Essex Skippers egg-laying and it occurred to me that I have not seen that before. I've seen loads of Small Skippers ovi-posting but the Essex seemed to be a bit more secretive - which made it harder to get shots of them without disturbance. I had read that the oviposter is specially designed/shaped to probe and unfurl the sheath of the grass to deposit the eggs inside (same as the Small Skipper) but I had never managed to capture it on camera before:
P2080030ad.jpg
A closer view:
P2080030bd.jpg
P2080031ad.jpg
P2080032ad.jpg
It looked to me as if these eggs are more oval shaped than those of the Small Skipper but perhaps that was just the angle I was looking from. I know I have siad this before but if anyone is tempted to take a look at the eggs of these Skippers please do remember that they are not anchored to the plant in any way - they are loose, they roll about and could be lost if great care is not taken:
P2080040ad.jpg
Small Skipper eggs below by way of comparison:
P1570800ad.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

Just been catching up on your diary, I am really behind on keeping up with what everyone else has been up to this year, the time is absolutely flying by.

Some amazing images in your recent reports...the Hairstreaks, Fritillaries, Chalkhills, that Holly Blue emergence sequence to mention just a few. That final Holly Blue underside is amazing, I never realised they were looked like that when freshly emerged, all the ones I have seen have had the pale silvery underside.

Great moth photos too :D . I love the Garden Tiger, brings back memories of finding 'Wooly Bears' when I a nipper and keeping them to rear through. Sadly, they have become somewhat of a rarity around here these days. Ironically, Scarlet Tigers used to be a rare here but they have been spreading in recent years and there have been sightings all all over the place in Warwickshire this year (although not in my garden yet), my son Chris had 14 in his garden trap in Stratford-upon-Avon last week, a trap I hasten to add that he has borrowed off me so I could claim them as mine :wink:

Maurice is right with the Poplar Grey. They can be confused with Knot Grass, I have had a few of both and when you see them together you can see the difference.

Had a few Dun-bars too and no two have them have looked the same...the wonderful world of moth variation eh!

All the best,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You really do say some of the nicest things about my diary Neil :D Please do feel free to comment any time, as much as you like :wink: :lol: Seriously, I'm glad it's not just me that can find these moth variations a bit confusing. I'm tempted to put the trap out again tonight but the bee-keeper is coming in the morning to try for a second time to get these bees out of the house! The Old Lady I have been caring for emerged yesterday and flew off without so much as a 'by your leave' but co-incidentally, there was one in the house today (not for the first time) and I managed a quick shot of that one :)

Today I had a quick look round Noar Hill. The Hemp Agrimony is fully out and alive with butterflies but I couldn't spot a Brown Hairstreak - fresh Red Admirals, SWF, Peacock, Painted Lady, lots of Skippers, Large Whites etc etc
P2080163ad.jpg
P2080160ad.jpg
P2080158ad.jpg
P2080140ad.jpg
P2080090ad.jpg
P2080124ad.jpg
P2080149ad.jpg
P2080103ad.jpg
P2080107ad.jpg
P2080082ad.jpg
P2080060ad.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Large Whites and Painted Lady, both species that have been short thrift this year. I'm very surprised we haven't seen more PL what with all the warm weather that we keep getting from the continent :?:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Buggy. Never mind PL, I'd love to see a few Clouded Yellow this year :)

Yesterday I quickly checked out Oxenbourne for SSS. I have previously expressed concerns about this tiny colony which seems to be getting smaller each year. No sightings yet but it's still early days so I won't get too pessimistic just yet! Lots of Skippers, moths and a few Chalkhills:
P2080059ad.jpg
P2080054ad.jpg
P2080044ad.jpg
P2080063ad.jpg
What I'd really like to know is what is this bird? I hope the photo is good enough for ID (it was quite some distance). It looked a bit Dunnock coloured but what I found strange was that it seemed to have a bit of a crest. An immature?
P2080072ad.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Pauline,looks like it could be an immature Yellowhammer.
Nice shots of the Holly Blue emerging and lovely shots from Noar, especially the Silver-washed Frits :D

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”