essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

So there you have it. A November diary page, packed with butterflies. Now I wasn't expecting that! :D :D :D

With more glorious sunshine on Sunday, it was time for a walk in Epping Forest. The autumn colours, the blue sky and the sunshine made for a most enjoyable walk.
P1670637.JPG
P1670651.JPG
This is hornbeam, a native hardwood that was one of the last trees to reach Britain, before we broke off from the continent. It is restricted to south-east England.
P1670645.JPG
That night,came the first widespread frost of the season.
P1670665.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great shots from Dungerness essex, the colours of the butterflies and flowers in that light.. :D
I think we all appreciate Autumn forest walking. :)

Cheers

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic array of Coppers Essex :D :mrgreen: I wonder how many more butterflies will be about now the frosts have started arriving?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great haul for November, Mark, though I fear that solid frost might put paid to the bulk of any activity henceforth. :(

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Andrew, yes a walk in Epping Forest or, no doubt, other forests in our country, is one of November s greatest pleasures, especially if it is sunny, as autumn reaches it's final peak.

Thanks Wurzel and David. Yes, I think a few frosts have finished things off. Although I saw a Red Admiral last week, I think my season has now finally come to an end.

David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:Yes, I think a few frosts have finished things off. Although I saw a Red Admiral last week, I think my season has now finally come to an end.
Mine probably finished on 5th November with a Red Admiral flyby in Abergavenny town centre so looks like my next will be in late February/early March.

This late season has been full of surprises though, so we should all keep our eyes peeled.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The Hawfinch is now a very scarce, perhaps even rare, British breeding bird, and has probably been lost as an Essex breeder, with just a handful of winter sightings in recent years. But this autumn there has been a perhaps once in a lifetime event- a big hawfinch invasion.

Following sightings on the Essex coast in recent weeks, they have settled in our woodlands, especially those containing hornbeam. We hope they will remain through the winter but equally, they may feed for a few weeks and move on. They are said to be particularly fond of hornbeam seeds and buds. I have never seen one in Britain before, never mind Essex. So today I visited Thorndon County Park, more in hope than expectation. Did I see any? You bet! :D :D :D
Attachments
DSCF9349.JPG
DSCF9340.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You lucky bugger! I had a wander round Epping Forest yesterday (lots of Hornbeam there) in the hope of finding some but didn't see any... didn't see much of anything to be honest :(

Some addictions are good for the soul!
philm63

Post by philm63 »

Nice find. We have had around 6 locally over the past few weeks, with them showing a preference for cemeteries. Didn't have the free time to go looking regrettably

Phil

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Nice one Essex :) A very striking bird.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Essex :D :mrgreen: - they're a cracking looking bird, fingers crossed their 'invasion' will be the vanguard with Waxwings, interesting Redpolls, Brambling etc all to follow :D
Great catching up on Saturday and cheers for the lift, sorry if I made your car smell of rancid beer, although to fair I'm only partially responsible for that :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Glorious sighting, Mark...a bird I've long yearned to see. Whilst not great for butterflies, this time of year nonetheless provides good opportunities to see other desirable wildlife!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks, Bugboy. I agree, Epping forest should be suitable. Thorndon Country Park, near Brentwood, is proving most reliable at the moment, with more there again this weekend. Hatfield forest has been good, too, though I don’t know how easy it is for you to get there.

Thanks Phil. Don’t give up,there should be some around for a few weeks at least.

Cheers Andrew, they are indeed great birds, one that I’ve long wanted to see!

Cheers Wurzel, no the car’s not too bad! Good to see you last weekend.

David, you’re right. The good thing about birds, especially near the coast, is that they fill the void in winter, when the flowers and butterflies have gone. If it weren’t for that, I think I would suffer greatly from SAD, as others have said.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Like many from Wales, across the midlands to East Anglia, we had several inches of the white stuff today, creating a white winter wonderland! :)
Attachments
4D7F388B-FFD1-463B-98C7-4631464F3EA4.jpeg
5B7DA909-1F17-4CE8-9A3E-1EC1203BF024.jpeg

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Wow that's full on! :shock:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

If the recent report from Butterfly Conservation is correct then you'll be enjoying bucket loads of butterflies next season :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Incredible, Mark! I'm almost envious. We haven't had a flake here in Swansea yet Merthyr Tydfil (a mere 20 miles away) has been inundated and has seen night time temperatures of -10c!!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A visit to Hatfield Forest, Essex today. Hawfinches continue to be seen there, and I found several, still feeding on hornbeam seeds. Not the best pictures in the poor light today, but good to see anyway. Also a kite, which are still scarce in Essex, and a roosting tawny owl in a tree.
Attachments
DF22F0F9-08EC-443B-A27A-176A26BA32C9.jpeg
57172B8A-158D-4736-B1FA-6903D2C5147C.jpeg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: for that Hawfinch, I've still not caught up with any yet, although to be fair I've had precious little time to get out and about in recent weeks. Good spot with that Owl as well :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Owl shot is a classic :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Happy New Year!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”