essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: essex buzzard

Post by millerd »

A nice Kentish selection, Essex. You visited the same spots that I did at the start of the same week - I recognise those butterflies! :) That Clouded Yellow wasn't stopping for anyone... :wink:

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

You only spotted one Brown Hairstreak, Mark, but she looks a beauty...as does that female Adonis.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Guys. I've seen some lovely Adonis this year, both male and female. But I was delighted to find that Brown Hairstreak. Clouded Yellows stop for no-one! But as the autumn progresses, and hopefully a few new ones emerge, they should slow down a little!

Welcome to the autumn equinox. In theory, this means there was 12 hours of daylight today the world over. But this is not quite true, because the light is slightly bent as it enters the Earths atmosphere, adding about six minutes 'fake' daylight each day. The twelve hours equal day is Sunday.

There is already plenty of autumn colour about, perhaps a month earlier than last year. Maybe this is because of the warm early to high summer, and a cold September. It was a lovely sunny day today however-the best since August.
Attachments
P1670046.JPG

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I'm glad you saw your Brown Hairstreak too, Mark.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Adonis from the previous post Essex :D Is it just me or are the 'two pupil-ed' Meadow Browns becoming more common?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

They do seem to be, don't they Wurzel? Rather like blue female Common Blues.

Dungerness, 6 September. A trip to see the Small Coppers, as well as hopefully a Clouded Yellow or two. Plenty of Coppers were indeed seen, around 40, but surprisingly they were outnumbered by Small Heaths, around 50- a good number in the short time the weather was suitable. And we did find a couple of Clouded Yellows, by the wall around the power station.
P1660833.JPG
P1660726.JPG
P1660838.JPG
P1660877.JPG
Several Painted Ladies were about-considering I saw my first PL way back in March, I'm surprised there haven't been more around this year. I was pleased to see several Peacock, my first since early August. Common Blues were in good numbers,and a few fresh Brown Argus, perhaps third brood. Meadow Brown, Large White, Small White and Red Admiral complete the picture. It was much cloudier than forecast,so I think this was a pretty good showing.
Attachments
P1660884.JPG
P1660873.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Forgot the Painted Lady picture from Dungerness!
Attachments
P1660828.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I've struggled this September to find any reasonable breaks in the weather. All too often it's been cloudy and cold, but I did manage a short visit to Bedfords Park a couple of weeks back. All three whites were seen. A male Large White was feeding on a large clump of devils-bit scabious, oblivious to a female feeding nearby. Suddenly he spotted her, and they were off, spiralling upwards, until she landed high on a hawthorn. He landed alongside where,after a bit of fidgeting, they mated, though too high up for a picture.

This site is excellent for Small Coppers, being warm and south-facing. They showed well, in the short time the weather was suitable, including some nice, fresh third brood ones. Bedfords is on the Essex border with London, with grand views over the city skyline.
Attachments
P1660910.JPG
P1660907.JPG
P1660903.JPG
P1660895.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:I've struggled this September to find any reasonable breaks in the weather.
Tell me about it! This is the worst September for several years and it has obliterated any chances of finding good numbers or decent ranges of species in October, unless we have an exceptionally fast turnaround in the weather.

I think you have instinctively called things correctly in this quote:
There is already plenty of autumn colour about, perhaps a month earlier than last year. Maybe this is because of the warm early to high summer, and a cold September. It was a lovely sunny day today however-the best since August.
You may be right there, Mark. I certainly noticed many of the trees have taken on their autumn colours this weekend whereas last year even at Hallowe’en many of them were still in full leaf, albeit shades of yellow, red and brown rather than green. The flowers seem to have gone over quicker too, although that may be down to the frequent stormy weather my area has seen lately.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

This is also a really good site for Commas, with lots of sheltered, south-facing blackberry bushes. They were here in good numbers, and it was a delight to see so many. Also expected were the Speckled Woods, but a Small Tortoiseshell was a pleasant surprise, even more so when it sat for picture-taking!
Attachments
P1660931.JPG
P1660929.JPG
P1660923.JPG
P1660916.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I echo your sentiment, Dave. The last few days the temperature has gone back up to average, but it's been so cloudy! Hope I'm wrong, but I fear it's going to a long winter...

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

All through September I had been waiting for a decent break in the weather, for one last long-distance trip out. After several 'shall we or not' days, I we finally found a day when the forecast was good, and set out for Osmington, in Dorset. After heavy rain the day before, and no doubt other days recently, it was a very muddy path up to White Horse hill. But there was a bit of early sun, and we soon spotted the first Speckled Wood, a bit tatty, but very welcome after a long drive. Several more were seen later.
P1660962.JPG
Once on the Hill, I was really hoping for some Adonis Blues, if all the wet weather had not finished them off. I soon found several, but they were very worn. Then Esther shouted me over, the male she found was much better. Pictures were taken, then I continued the search. A little while after, I found another good male.
P1670001.JPG
P1670011.JPG
While searching for my Blues, I also spotted this lovely Small Copper, with a great set of blue badges, a great find.
Attachments
P1660970.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A few nice female Adonis were found at Osmington, including this cracker, with her lovely dusting of blue scales.
P1670024.JPG
A couple each of Comma and Red Admiral were feeding on the sheltered blackberries, but I was surprised,and delighted, to find this lovely Peacock, they are long gone into hibernation in my neck of the woods.
P1670014.JPG
By lunchtime it was unexpectedly clouding over once again, so we headed to Swanage for lunch, hoping things would improve. They did, but not until evening, so we walked from Swanage to Old Harry Rocks, enjoying a little late sunshine, and the fantastic views from up there.
P1670039.JPG
So, although the weather wasn't quite as good as forecast, we had, at last, had a good day. :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

That certainly is a stunning female Adonis Blue, Mark.
There is something fascinating about ' blue ' female Common/Adonis.
I was hoping that you would have a third brood Wall report for us.

Trevor.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Maybe I have...

David M

Post by David M »

That's one hell of a caeruleopunctata, Mark, and the female Adonis in your next post is almost as striking! You've seen some wonderful late season action this year in what has been a predominantly dreary period for most of us.

millerd

Post by millerd »

A lovely Small Copper and the female Adonis is a smashing insect. Worth that long trek down... :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with David Essex, that is one hell of a Blue Badger - I don't think I've seen one that well 'badged' before! :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone. Despite all the recent cloud and rain, Osmington Hill still managed to come up with the goods! And I agree, that Small Copper must be one of the best I have seen!

Convey Island now probably has the strongest colony of Walls in Essex, though they can also be seen nearby at Benfleet Downs and Hadleigh Castle CP. Last Sunday, the sun at last came out, so I arrived at the Canvey Wick nature reserve, an old industrial site, earlier to catch the Walls warming up. They would probably be hyperactive later!

I soon found my first Wall, a rather worn male. But much better was to come, for I soon found a few more males, some fresh, some less so. Two males met, and went spiralling upwards into the sky,spinning for maybe a minute or two before separating, only to meet again and repeate the action. Several others were feeding on ragwort, or whatever flowers were available.
P1670052.JPG
P1670059.JPG
After enjoying these excellent males, my attention turned to finding the more elusive females. This wasn't too difficult, as I found a larger patch of ragwort which had a nice one feeding on it, wings spread wide. A search elsewhere turned up a few more, and some male Walls. As the day warmed up, they became more and more flighty, reminding me of the benefits of arriving early at Wall sites. I also was able to show someone a Wall, a female, who had never seen one, as well as a Clouded Yellow, Brown Argus and Common Blues. A good mornings work!
Attachments
P1670068.JPG
P1670064.JPG
P1670061.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Some very nice Walls there, Essex, especially the females. It also shows that Sussex doesn't have a monopoly on the third brood! :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”