essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: essex buzzard

Post by trevor »

Some great Wall images there Mark, especially that fresh female.
You were lucky to have a tall plant, like the Ragwort, for them to nectar/pose on.

Great stuff,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks for your comments, I'm well chuffed with those Walls, and it's a delight to still have them as an Essex species. Now all I need is a bit of Clouded Yellow action...and a bit of sunshine.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote:...Now all I need is a bit of Clouded Yellow action...and a bit of sunshine.
Good luck with the latter, Mark! I can't ever remember a second half of September so dull and cloudy as this. Maybe October will see a change.

Here's hoping.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

Good to see that you made it to Osmington and were rewarded with some nice Adonis Blues and that beautifully blue spotted Small Copper :D

Cheers,

Neil

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Following Trevor's report of Clouded Yellows from Shoreham in Sussex, it was inevitable I would be down there as soon as the weather allowed. Sunday was rather cloudier than forecast, but some sunny spells lunchtime were enough to produce the sightings. Once the sun came out, butterflies appeared instantly. At the harbour, several fresh Clouded Yellows, including a helice, were seen. The markings were heavier on some males than others.
P1670153.JPG
P1670143.JPG
P1670151.JPG
P1670152.JPG
In between these Yellows, several Small Whites and a Large White were spotted. Common Blues were found, including some nice females and a fresh male. Red Admiral and two Small Coppers were also present.
Attachments
P1670162.JPG
P1670138.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Then onto Mill Hill. A few more Clouded Yellows were seen in any sunny spells, as were Common Blues, though these were more faded than the ones at the harbour. Meadow Browns were seen, some surprisingly fresh-why a Meadow Brown would rather emerge in October than July I have no idea. Several Walls were still present, and one each of Comma and Painted Lady completes the list. That's 10 species, quite acceptable for October. Had there been a bit more sunshine, I'm sure I could have seen two or three more.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

10 Species for October is a very haul Essex, and those Cloudies are the icing on the cake :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Pictures from Mill Hill. A successful day I've been waiting a long time for. Thanks for posting, Trevor. :D
Attachments
P1670173.JPG
P1670169.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Great Clouded Yellows and Blues from Shoreham, Essex. Worth the trip I'd say. :) That last one is beautifully marked. It's good to see Mill Hill is still going strong too - and like you, I can't understand how Meadow Browns work at all. My first sightings (including a female) were on 2nd June this year. :?

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'm pleased that the journey from Essex to Shoreham paid off.
Your helice could be the 4th one that site has produced, not bad for a fairly small population.
The heavily marked CL earns you a mrgreen, and is possibly the second example with such markings. :mrgreen:

Great stuff, Mark.
Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

That 4th Clouded Yellow in your 9 October post is an absolute beauty, Mark. Really defined underside forewing spots. Great that you got a helice and the female Common Blue is notably attractive as well. A productive trip for sure.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love all your shots :D :mrgreen: I think they're outstanding! Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone for all your comments. As always,a bit of luck is needed to get these sightings,especially in October, and not least from the weather. It was certainly well worth the trip down there.

Today we were off to Dungerness. We were hoping to see some of Hoggers 's Small Coppers, and also Clouded Yellow or two. In fact, not only did we see some of Hoggers 's Coppers, we also saw a Hoggers-great to meet you! Although a lot of cloud at times, there was enough brightness to find 10-15 Coppers, some still fresh.
P1670242.JPG
P1670276.JPG
We also saw 3 Clouded Yellows near the power station fence, where we also met Hoggers,
P1670233.JPG
P1670236.JPG
Elsewhere at Dungerness, I was pleased to see two Peacocks in the moat area, while 1 Common Blue, 2 Painted Ladies, 2 Red Admiral and a Small Heath, which looked like it had had a lucky escape, complete a successful days sightings. :)
Attachments
P1670259.JPG
P1670251.JPG
P1670248.JPG

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Good to see you had some joy at Dungeness yesterday Essex ,by the time we arrived there the sun had completely disappeared, but still managed half a dozen Coppers and a single "ghost" of a Clouded Yellow, there was something going on in the moat ,while we were there ,with about twenty parked cars ,and like number of birders ,intently scoping the bushes ........kept well away , maybe re-found yesterdays Raddes ! Also saw a couple of singing Black Redstarts ! regards Allan.W.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's really great for October, wish I'd payed a visit to Kent instead of Decorating :D my Daughter's coming here instead :D Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Alan. Yes, we saw all those people and cars down in the moat-so that's what it was, in those bushes? Twitchers. Funny things, them. But I suppose they might say the same about me when I'm chasing butterflies!

Thanks, Goldie. Yes, it would have been great to take you round Dungerness yesterday. But it seems you have been doing pretty well, with those garden sightings!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of Coppers and Cloudies Essex and a really lovely dark painted Lady :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely selection there, Mark. I'm almost getting bored with Clouded Yellows and Small Coppers so it's nice to see a Small Heath make an appearance. :)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Right, this is clearly another for the 'list of places I need to visit'
Great selection essex, I do like those pictures with pebbles in the background.

Cheers

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

No worries, Andrew. Add it to next years list, I would definitely recommend it. Lots of good birds in the area, too.

Return to “Personal Diaries”