millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you both of you. I am still hopeful of a few more sightings, despite the predicted frosts. :)

Sunshine today, Sunday 5th November, after yesterday's rain. However, my only opportunity to have a look locally was at around two o'clock - and it was still only 11 degrees at best with a bit of cloud by then too. However, one Red Admiral was in the same spot as the two on Friday - but I'm fairly certain it's neither of those.
RA1 051117.JPG
RA2 051117.JPG
Its abdomen looks quite shrunken and thin, so I suspect this one has little left in the way of reserves and will not sadly last a lot longer. :(

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Still a few sunny (if rather chilly) days predicted this week Dave, I'm sure those Red Admirals of yours will be making the most of what's left of the year :)

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Just one Red Admiral today for me too, Dave. I think we are now at the very end of the season.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Seems like the Heathrow 'bubble' worked again Dave as you're still onto butterflies and I spent another day without a sighting :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Still some great looking RA's there Dave.
One for me on Sunday, landed outside my window and basked for a minute or two, looked in good nick.

Cheers

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you everyone - nearly the end of the season, but still they keep on coming.

Monday 6th November: a sharp frost this morning - the car needed a good deal of scraping first thing, and declared it to be just 1 degree above zero. Easily low enough for temperatures on the ground to be below zero but as far as I could tell going out at lunchtime, none of the young nettle plants seemed to have been frosted. In fact, the first butterfly I saw was a Red Admiral fluttering over them appearing to be egg-laying just as I'd seen last week.
RA1 061117.JPG
RA3 061117.JPG
Sure enough, I found a shiny green dot on one of the plants.
RA egg 061117.JPG
Over the course of a longer walk today, I found another seven Red Admirals.
RAx2 061117.JPG
Amazingly, one or two seemed fairly fresh, though time has taken its toll on most.
RA6 061117.JPG
RA4 061117.JPG
RA5 061117.JPG
RA8 061117.JPG
RA7 061117.JPG
I also came a cross a single Comma, still sucking the last drops of nectar from the ivy, and also moisture from the leaves (or perhaps nectar washed onto them by the recent rain).
Comma2 061117.JPG
No one can declare the season over yet... :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Indeed not Dave! Great spot you have there :)

Cheers

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Red Admiral yes, they are normally still around in early November. But I'm surprised you saw a Comma. :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Comma is a real late showing Dave :D As for the egg laying Red Admiral I wonder how viable the egg will be, will it get through the winter? Looking good for a few butterflies on your way to the Social Dave :wink:

Havea goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Well done again, Dave, though I'm almost disappointed that there's no Holly Blue in the shake up! :)

The Comma is particularly noteworthy. They're usually tucked away by late October so to see one a week into November is most welcome.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, all - I was pleased to see the Comma, but not entirely surprised as several have been flying here during the tail end of October and the start of this month. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Holly Blues are over for the year though... :)

I've just been up to Holmfirth for a few days - despite a lovely day yesterday with lots of sunshine and temperatures just into double figures, there were no butterflies. A great view from where I was staying, though, over to Holme Moss.
Holmfirth 081117.JPG
Even a sheltered walled garden at Cannon Hall Park (on the way to Barnsley), which still had flowers and a fair amount of flowering ivy, had lost its Red Admiral contingent. :( It did have an extraordinary bolted chard plant or two in the kitchen garden - you would wonder who would eat who first... :shock:
Triffid 081117.JPG
More nice views though.
Cannon Hall Park 081117.JPG
Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Nice images of what is a beautiful part of the country, Dave. I suppose if you didn't manage to see a butterfly then the season must be on its last legs! :)

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely scenes Dave. Triffid.. :D

Cheers

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, both. I was slightly disappointed that even the Red Admirals had gone, as it looked like the perfect kind of day for them.

Friday 10th November: After rain early on, there were some sunny breaks around lunchtime back home here in the soft south (as described by my Yorkshire friend...). Ten minutes on my local patch was enough to see a single Red Admiral.
RA1 101117.JPG
Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

It's a case of ever diminishing returns now Dave, but even then not bad
as we are now a third of the way through November.
I think we have both had a good run for our money !.

All the best,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Chard does look spectacular, if a little scary Dave :shock: :D The Red Admirals are still clinging on though not for much longer now...unless we get the odd nice day of course :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, both. Amazingly, the season is still not over...

Thursday 16th November: a warm start and increasingly sunny up to lunchtime, though cloudier later. I walked down to my local cafe and on the way back spotted two Red Admirals flying around quite high up. I continued onto my usual walk around the lake and back to the sheltered part nearer home. Here I found two more Red Admirals, one of which posed nicely and didn't even appear to be that worn.
RA1 161117.JPG
I noticed the dandelions had responded to the sunshine and more were now open, and then spotted something silvery... Could it be? It was! :D Another lovely new female Holly Blue, the latest I've ever seen the species. The photos speak for themselves.
HB3 161117.JPG
HB4 161117.JPG
HB5 161117.JPG
HB6 161117.JPG
HB7 161117.JPG
HB9 161117.JPG
HB2 161117.JPG
HB1a 161117.JPG
Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

:shock: Ok Dave, exactly what sorcery are you performing there ?
'Holly Blue.. I summon thee!!'
Amazing :mrgreen:

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Andrew555 wrote::shock: Ok Dave, exactly what sorcery are you performing there ?
'Holly Blue.. I summon thee!!'
Amazing :mrgreen:
Dave's witchcraft over Holly Blues is legendary in these parts but even so this is quite out there even by his standards! :shock:

Your next mission should you choose to accept it is to photograph one on some frost encrusted Holly berries on Christmas Day Dave :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

WOW! Dave, I thought I'd missed Winter and it was Spring :lol: great Holly Blue shots :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”