jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: jackz432r

Postby Andrew555 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Glad you had your memory card this time Paul. I now keep a spare card and camera battery permanently in my backpack after a couple of 'incidents' :D

Paul Harfield

Postby Paul Harfield » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks Andrew, David & Wurzel for your commments :D

Saturday 25.11.2017 - Thursday 30.11.2017 More Red Admirals In The Garden

Just before I set off to join the others at the Winter Social last Saturday I spotted some fluttering in the sunny corner of the garden :D . I was delighted to see a Red Admiral there so I dashed off to grab my camera. At 1.30pm I was already too late to grab a shot of this butterfly spending the briefest of moments settled open winged on the fence. It then settled on the bottom of an empty bird feeder and there it stayed.
P1150153.JPG
Red Admiral in the garden 25.11.2017
P1150156.JPG
Early morning 26.11.2017 and that Red Admiral is still clinging on

I checked the bottom of the bird feeder in the frost the following morning and was surprised to see the Red Admiral still clinging on. Most days this week have been sunny, but cold but that Red Admiral is till there as I write this (in bed with a bad back :( ). I know it is still alive because it has changed its position several times. There is a slight recess in the bottom of this feeder but I would think this a rather precarious place for a Red Admiral to spend the Winter, I will keep you posted on its wellbeing.
P1150162.JPG
I don't think I should refill this birdfeeder just yet!

Yesterday I had the day off and was able to keep an eye on the Garden during another sunny but cold day. The butterfly above remained on the base of the feeder but it was joined by another more active individual between midday and 1.30. This one briefly settled on the bird feeder and several other positions on the fence. It was also seen nectaring briefly on my Hebe and occasionally disappearing over the fence on both sides of the garden, always returning to my sunny corner :D . I was hoping to see where it went to roost but got distracted and last saw it about 1.35.
P1150289.JPG
Another Red Admiral in the garden 30.11.2017 (just below the birdfeeder)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am

Fingers crossed your roosting Red Admiral makes it - it does seem very well camouflaged though not that sheltered :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Postby David M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Incredible camouflage in the Red Admiral image. I confess I had to maximise it to find the butterfly and was quite embarrassed when I saw how much of the screen it took up! :oops:

Return to “Personal Diaries”