jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: jackz432r

Post by bugboy »

Nice close ups of that male Brown Hairstreak. I was there on Monday as well and got some decent results, not sure how we missed bumping into each other...

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great close up view Paul :D :mrgreen: The lack of numbers be due to a contracted emergence as I saw 6 males at Shipton a week and a half ago and today 2 males and a very fresh female - so hopefully they'll be around for some time - it just makes finding them hard work/fun! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I think you may have bumped into Roselyn at Shipton. She said she spoke to some guy who was after female brown hairstreaks but had very limited time on Monday.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi David, Wurzel & Bugboy thanks for your comments :D :D :D
bugboy wrote:I think you may have bumped into Roselyn at Shipton. She said she spoke to some guy who was after female brown hairstreaks but had very limited time on Monday.
Yes that would be me :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

A few recent bits and bobs:
Red Admiral -West Meon - 7.8.2016
Red Admiral -West Meon - 7.8.2016
Female Common Darter - West Meon -7.8.2016
Female Common Darter - West Meon -7.8.2016
Male Common Darter - Wootton Coppice - 21.8.2016
Male Common Darter - Wootton Coppice - 21.8.2016
Female Common Blue - Stephens Castle Down - 28.8.2016
Female Common Blue - Stephens Castle Down - 28.8.2016
Male Common Blue - Stephens Castle Down - 28.8.2016
Male Common Blue - Stephens Castle Down - 28.8.2016
Monday 29.8.2016 Haslar, Gosport

Yesterday afternoon I popped in briefly to a favourite Clouded Yellow spot hoping for some action. This is a partially overgrown carpark near Haslar sea wall that has been reliable for clouded yellows over the last few years. On arrival it did not look too promising with just a few whites about. However, upon closer inspection one of these whites turned out to be a helice Clouded Yellow :D. It looked pristine but was very flighty and I only managed one very poor shot before it disappeared over the wall. I was also pleased to find a single Small Copper (No.5 for 2016!) , a couple of Common Blues and a Meadow Brown. One last circuit of the area then threw up another 'normal' female Clouded Yellow :D . This one was much more feeble looking like it had just arrived, weakly fluttering and settling. Hopefully there will be a few more around before the season is out.
Female helice Clouded Yellow  - Haslar - 29.8.2016
Female helice Clouded Yellow - Haslar - 29.8.2016
Small Copper - Haslar - 29.8.2016
Small Copper - Haslar - 29.8.2016
Female Clouded Yellow - Haslar - 29.8.2016
Female Clouded Yellow - Haslar - 29.8.2016

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Stunning shot of the backlit Small Copper! :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I agree, lovely warm colours. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Small Copper Paul :D And I'm especially envious of your Helice a form I've yet to catch up with :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Yup, there's been a few Helice spotted in recent weeks, still never seen one myself though so here's a :mrgreen: for that one! The Red Admiral underside is also rather stunning as well!

David M

Post by David M »

Well done on the helice. I'm still waiting to see this form in the UK. :(

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Jamie, Katrina, Wurzel, Bugboy and David Thanks for the comments :D :D :D :D :D

Wednesday 31.8.2016 & Thursday 1.9.2016 More Clouded Yellows at Haslar

After failing to capture a decent photo of the Clouded Yellows on Monday I decided to return for another try. Almost as soon as I left the house on Wednesday the sky clouded over and by the time I arrived at Haslar it was breezy and cool. After a little searching a Clouded Yellow did appear flying briskly back and forth, but it soon disappeared. The conditions were now such that any butterfly action was unlikely. There was certainly no sign of the helice or any other Clouded Yellows :( . One consolation though was a single Brown Argus (only my 2nd of the year :shock: ), a couple of Small Coppers and a Green Veined White.
P1110033.JPG
P1110038.JPG
P1110029.JPG
I jumped at the opportunity to go back the following day, particularly as the weather looked pretty good. I think I arrived at just the right time. No sign of the helice, but after a few minutes and a quick look round a lovely female Clouded Yellow showed herself. Fluttering from flower to flower in a relaxed enough state for me to get plenty of shots. This appeared to be the only clouded yellow here today and I spent the next hour following her around. I even had time to try for an open winged shot but I soon gave up on that idea :?. I just took the occasional break for some Small Copper action.
P1110123.JPG
P1110170.JPG
P1110049.JPG
P1110058.JPG
P1110106.JPG
The best open wing shot I could manage after many attempts!
The best open wing shot I could manage after many attempts!
Once I had pursued this Clouded Yellow enough I turned to leave just as a male flew up from the ground which I had not previously seen. Unfortunately it flew straight into a spiders web :( . The plump female Garden spider was lightning quick in despatching this insect and gift wrapping it to enjoy later. The whole process was completed in a couple of minutes. This was not the way I had hoped to get my open winged shot.
The fatal bite! Still flapping at this point. Not really the open winged shot I was looking for
The fatal bite! Still flapping at this point. Not really the open winged shot I was looking for
P1110137.JPG
P1110141.JPG
P1110144.JPG
P1110146.JPG
P1110149.JPG
P1110151.JPG
She seemed to be looking at me rather smugly at this point!
She seemed to be looking at me rather smugly at this point!
Job done!
Job done!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some interesting shots there Paul. A couple of years ago I was in a similar situation with a female Brown Hairstreak egg-laying. I managed to get a sequence similar to yours but I received some criticism I seem to recall for not 'rescuing' the butterfly - but as you are aware it happens in a flash and it is often too late to react unfortunately:
P1420950ad.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Fantastic Cloudie images, including the ones of the unfortunate spider meal. Every now and again its good to be reminded its not all sweetness and light in the natural world and we are merely (and should remain) observers to it's goings on.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Pauline wrote:Some interesting shots there Paul. A couple of years ago I was in a similar situation with a female Brown Hairstreak egg-laying. I managed to get a sequence similar to yours but I received some criticism I seem to recall for not 'rescuing' the butterfly - but as you are aware it happens in a flash and it is often too late to react unfortunately:
I know what you mean Pauline. This is the second time I have experienced this scenario. The last time a couple of years ago at Noar Hill, also with a Clouded Yellow curiously. On that occasion whilst I wrestled with my conscience (dithered is probably more apt :? ) the butterfly managed to free itself :D . On this most recent occasion the spider was so quick I did not have time to intervene.

Bugboy, I would like to think that if I had the opportunity I would still choose to leave things to nature. However, if I had not been there would the butterfly still have flown into the web :?: that disturbs my conscience even more :(

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking, if gruesome series of shots Paul :) It is a hard thing to reason - but it seemed in this case the decision was made for you - you're right the Spider does look smug but also beautifully marked :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Cheers Wurzel :D

Sunday 4.9.2016 Knowle

An afternoon visit to one of my favourite local butterfly spots was an almost completely white affair. I was hoping Clouded Yellows might have reached this location, but none were to be seen. In all I counted 26 Small Whites here, 12 Green Veined Whites including a couple of nicely marked individuals and singles of Large White, Speckled Wood, Common Blue and an egg laying Holly Blue. Most were taking advantage of the Fleabane which seems particularly abundant this year.
Female Small White
Female Small White
Female Small White
Female Small White
Male Small White
Male Small White
Small White Pair
Small White Pair
Female Green Veined White
Female Green Veined White
Unusual looking male Green Veined White
Unusual looking male Green Veined White
This female Holly Blue appears to be tasting the Ivy buds and also looks like she has been at the Fleabane judging by her feet!
This female Holly Blue appears to be tasting the Ivy buds and also looks like she has been at the Fleabane judging by her feet!
P1110278.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

That first photo is lovely, well captured!

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks Katrina :D

Sunday 11.9.2016 Southwick

After Saturdays miserable autumnal dampness, it was nice to see the sun again on Sunday. I went to a couple of locations at Southwick to the north of Portsdown Hill. At the first location one corner of a field has been left wild with plenty of Fleabane on show. Plenty of Whites here Small, Green Veined, Large and a single male Brimstone. The stars though were a couple of Small Coppers, male and female I think. The male having slightly unusual markings. Later in the same location Holly Blue, Red Admiral and Comma had joined the fun.
Male Green Veined White - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Male Green Veined White - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Female Green Veined White - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Female Green Veined White - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Female? Small Copper - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Female? Small Copper - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Male? Small Copper with unusual markings - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Male? Small Copper with unusual markings - Southwick - 11.9.2016
I then moved on to a new location close by where again a large area has been left wild with plenty of Fleabane and Ragwort. First up another Small Copper :D . Up to the end of August I had only seen 4 Small Coppers all year so it is quite pleasing that they now seem to be turning up wherever I go :D . There were plenty of whites bobbing around amongst the yellow flowers, but what I really wanted to find was a Clouded Yellow. I soon spotted one energetically zooming around, a male which eventually stopped long enough for a photo. Later I spotted what I thought was the same male, but later examination of photos revealed them to be different individuals. Meadow Brown and Speckled Wood brought the total number of species for the day to 11 :D
Male Clouded Yellow - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Female Meadow Brown - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Female Meadow Brown - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Comma - Southwick - 11.9.2016
Comma - Southwick - 11.9.2016

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 18.9.2016 Southwick

Not so many butterflies at Southwick this weekend, but just enough to keep me sane :? Small Coppers continue to put on a good show in small numbers and a single Clouded Yellow brought a smile to my face :D. There were plenty of Speckled Woods along the lane, lots of Small Whites and a couple of Red Admirals.
Small Copper
Small Copper
P1110478.JPG
Female Small Copper
Female Small Copper
Male Clouded Yellow. A different one to last week
Male Clouded Yellow. A different one to last week
Early on a Small Copper had disturbed something small from a Fleabane flower. I lost sight of this small fluttery thing and had assumed it was a small moth of some description. Later on I re encountered this individual and managed to keep it in view whereupon it became apparent that it was actually a very small butterfly. My initial thought was that it was a very late Small Blue. It eventually settled and revealed itself as a tiny Brown Argus :o Smaller in fact than a Small Blue and also showing some unusual underwing spots. The abnormally small size would seem to be called ab. lilliputana. I was unable to get a shot with some size reference in it so my photos do not demonstrate how incredibly tiny this butterfly was.
Tiny male Brown Argus ab lilliputana
Tiny male Brown Argus ab lilliputana
Nothing for reference here but this butterfly was tiny and also has unusual underwing spots.
Nothing for reference here but this butterfly was tiny and also has unusual underwing spots.
P1110543-001.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking aberrants Paul in amongst the Cloudies, you're having a great run at the moment :mrgreen: - long may it continue :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”