Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, Why Not! :wink: Thank's again for your comments :D

I'm still seeing the Butterflies, :D Just when I thought things were tailing off, Tuesday was sunny and warm and brought them once more to the garden, although I was busy I still put down the paint brush to take more shots :)
I was surprised to see a Tortoiseshell arrive I thought they'd definately hibernated, may be with the weather being so warm and sunny they decided on more nectar :)
The Comma took time off to catch the Sun on my washing, :D My biggest surprise though was the reappearance of the Brimstone, I'm sure it's the same one as well, because this one had a slightly damaged tip of the wing like the other one and choose the same flowers, no luck this time with the open wing shot, the Brimstone was more active going from flower to flower like they usually do.
The Red Admiral's were back has well, that made four species , I managed shots of them all before it was back to the painting :D

Wednesday was an awful day with really torrential rain, but we got on well with the decorating, this morning (Thursday ) set off lovely and Sunny and I got shot's of a Comma and yet anther Admiral, the days seem to be going quicker, it will be interesting to see just how long the Butterflies keep coming to the garden. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
10th October
10th October
10th October
10th October
10th October
10th October
12th October
12th October
10th October
10th October
12th October
12th October

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Great late season stuff again, Goldie (particularly the returning Brimstone - lovely to keep seeing her). Is there ever a time when your Bowles Mauve is not in flower? :)

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely shots, Goldie - nice to see your Brimstone back again, and a Small Tortoiseshell as well. :) No sign of them round here today, despite lovely weather.

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great selection from your garden Goldie and that open wing brimstone shot in your previous post is a stunner :mrgreen: :D

Unfortunately, at this time of the year most of my garden is in shadow by the time I get in from work.

Cheers,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, thanks for your Comments, My Bowles Mauve seems to be great all the time, it's getting leggy now though but I can't give it a trim just yet, I took cuttings last year and started two more BM, it's the new one in the Rockery that's attracting them at present . :D It's in the Sun most of the time and my back garden faces South West which is another plus. :D

Thanks Millard, I was really chuffed when I saw the Small Tort again and the Brimstone :D The Brimstone doesn't go on the Boules Mauve as much as the other Butterflies, it seems to be attracted to the red Flowers. :D

Hi! Neil, thank you, I was pleased to get that shot :D I tried again when the Brimstone returned but she was too quick for me this time :D My front garden is in the shade now like yours so I'm getting most of my latest shots from the back. :D

The rain was very heavy over night and didn't get much brighter all day how ever the Comma arrived back briefly to take nectar
but was quickly off again, I did manage a couple of shots though before it flew a way. Goldie :D
Attachments
13th October
13th October
13th October
13th October

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great nectaring shots and a real pleasure to see a Brimstone at this time of year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, thanks very much for your comments, the Butterflies are still coming I took some shots Sat/Sun, we've finished the painting and with the Hurricane coming this way we decided to cut the Butterfly bushes down , it didn't put the BF's off, they were on the Boules Mauve instead :lol: Goldie :D
PS Just seen a Comma outside on the BM, no rain here yet but strong wind's, I couldn't believe my eyes :lol:
Attachments
15th Oct
15th Oct
14th Oct
14th Oct
15th Oct
15th Oct
14th Oct
14th Oct

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It looks as though Southern England butterflies are moving North, while the English Channel presents a barrier against more southerly species moving here!

I hope we don't get left in a 'butterfly vacuum' here :)

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"with the Hurricane coming this way we decided to cut the Butterfly bushes down , it didn't put the BF's off, they were on the Boules Mauve instead " - you can't keep a good butterfly down :D :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, I wish the Purple Emperor would move North :D It's in the Midlands so why not a bit further North like the Forest of Bowland :D Goldie :D

Hi! Wurzel, sorry to say I think the winds have kept the Butterflies down :( the wind's ripped through my Canvas cover which was over my swinging bench on the patio ripping it to shreds, we had the strong winds for two days but we were lucky, others had fences down, tree's etc, I looked out yesterday in the Garden for them and although it was windy, it was Sunny nothing appeared.
The weather's good today so hope fully if they don't appear they've finally Hibernated!! Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've just come in from the Garden and having not seen any Butterflies for ages ( one's that land ) we decided to cut every thing down and tidy up. We'd a frost yesterday but today was much warmer, we were out for a couple of hours and nearly filled the bin when the Sun decided to peep out and then we saw a flutter in my neighbours garden on her Mahona, ( I think that's what it's called, not sure about the spelling though :D ) and to my surprise, saw it was a Red Admiral, I rushed inside for my camera and back outside took some quick shots which I hoped would look all right through the hazy sun, no time to a just to any thing, I was so pleased to see it , it brightened my day :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Red Admiral 31st Oct
Red Admiral 31st Oct
Red Admiral 31st Oct
Red Admiral 31st Oct
Red Admiral 31st Oct
Red Admiral 31st Oct
Red Admiral 31st Oct
Red Admiral 31st Oct

millerd

Post by millerd »

Red Admirals love Mahonia, Goldie! Great shots. :) A few years ago I got some shots of a few nectaring on Mahonia in a neighbour's front garden on 30th November - the latest I've ever seen a butterfly. It's a good plant to grow for them as it generally flowers between now and Christmas.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, I used to have the same plant at the Bottom of the garden but for some reason it died, I didn't plant another one since my Neighbours is practically out side my door :D I just grumble when I've to keep sweeping the flowers up when they drop :D I'll not grumble a gain if it brings me Butterflies :lol: I've not seen them before on the flowers but it was mild yesterday and doesn't seem too bad today so I'll be on the look out for it. :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's definitely getting to that time in the season when every butterfly shot counts as who knows it cold be the last until next year. Always keep your camera handy :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

There's still life in the season, Goldie. Until the first proper frosts and cold days arrive I expect Red Admirals to remain active and eager to imbibe on any suitable nectar source. Keep your eyes peeled!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Will Do ! Wurzel and David, I'm even taking my camera to the Garden Centre :lol: Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very nice Goldie :) more than I've seen recently!

Cheers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post Andrew, nothing here since my last post and the weathers getting colder, real November now. Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Looking back over the year I had lots of high lights but the one I remember most was my first sight of the White Letter Hair Streak.
I'd been the day before to Bolton Woods firstly entering Brockholes CP and making our way to the entrance of the Woods, we were there a couple of hours searching round, this was in the afternoon, giving up we decided to go back ( not living too far a way) the following day but make it tea time instead. This proved to be a great move, we settled down near the Black Berry Bush where they'd been seen before and waited, we didn't have to wait too long.
Inspite of the fact the Butterfly had to compete with Comma's, large and Small Whites , Red Admiral's and Bee's it held it's own unperturbed and I got my shots :D
I'm not sure of the sex of the HS it being my first encounter but the following shots I took could mean it was Female, on the other hand it could just be desiccating :lol: what ever!! it made my year :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_7426.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7a33.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7a2a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7a30.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7a31.jpeg

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

That's great Goldie :D well done, love these special moments.

Return to “Personal Diaries”