Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, I've been lucky with the Small Tort's, after not seeing them for ages they've suddenly appeared in good numbers which was a relief because I thought they'd suffered this year and were down in numbers. :D

Yesterday after a dull morning the Sun came out and with very little wind, the Butterflies had a good afternoon until 3pm when the weather changed and went cold by that time the Red Admiral's, Small Tort's, Peacock, had had lots of nectar . :D no comma showed up but lots of whites put in appearance so if you can imagine a garden full of Butterflies, it was amazing, they even landed on me a couple of times when the Sun was temporally covered by a cloud :D
We had three more additions to the Garden with the Small White 's and Large White's also a little Green Veined White which had suffered partial wing loss but still capable of flying, in fact some of the Butterflies were now showing some wear and tare, I'm hoping we see the Sun again this afternoon because it was great sitting with a cup of tea just watching them fly and occasionally taking shots. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7445.jpg
This one nearly got a way
This one nearly got a way
IMG_7487.jpg
IMG_7545.jpg
fullsizeoutput_6daf.jpeg
IMG_7458.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More lovely shots Goldie, especially the Small Torts :D :mrgreen: Is it that time of year already - they'll soon be tucking themselves up until February/March :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

You're seeing good numbers at this late stage, Goldie, including Peacocks which seem to have disappeared in my neck of the woods.

Make the most of the Whites. By early October I suspect they'll be all but gone. :(

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and David, sorry for the delay in replying, ( family Needs )

Thanks Wurzel, I really appreciate what you've said. Since I last posted the Butterflies are still in the Garden, the Red Admiral's have been here in good number's . I counted up to twelve on the front to eight on the back, with Small Tort's in smaller numbers.
even had a Speckie in on Wednesday :D

Hi! David, has I said to Wurzel, the Butterflies are still here but some do look a little worse for wear. The rain and bad weather doesn't seem to bother them , I've watched them disappear into the ever green bushes I've got and then reappear when the rain's stopped, the Peacock's I've not seen for a day or two now so it could be they've gone but the RA's are still here. :D

I've put some shot's in my post's that I took on the 17th Sept, I got a little elephant that lights up at night for the garden and it's been used for Sun bathing during the day :lol: Also one shot I love of a Small Tort that flew into a Marigold in the front Garden.
In spite of the bad weather this morning the Red Admiral's are back in the Garden so I'm off to take a few more shots before the rain starts again. Goldie :D
Attachments
22nd Sept
22nd Sept
22nd Sept
22nd Sept
Taken 19th Sept
Taken 19th Sept
Taken 17th Sept
Taken 17th Sept
Taken 17th sept
Taken 17th sept
Taken 19th Sept
Taken 19th Sept
Taken 22nd Sept
Taken 22nd Sept
Taken 19th Sept
Taken 19th Sept
Taken 18th Sept
Taken 18th Sept

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It's nice to see that you've still got loads of lovely butterflies in your garden, Goldie :D and they certainly seem to like your Bowles Mauve. I like the Small Tort on the Elephant too :)

Mike

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Some great shots recently Goldie,very envious of your Bowles Mauve in your garden shots ,mine have done nothing !
Lots of Clouded Yellows about now down here in Kent, 2 (at least ) today at Dungeness .
Regards Allan.W.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You're still doing alright for butterflies Goldie :D That Small Tortoiseshell has got to be the biggest I've ever seen, it's almost the size of an elephants head :shock: :wink: Brilliant :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That's a nice range of species you've got again, Goldie. Those Tortie shots made me chuckle, especially the one on the elephant ornament....although the Comma looks like it's basking on something artificial too.

millerd

Post by millerd »

A really nice selection of species, Goldie - some good shots there. I do like the Tortoiseshell in the marigold - it looks as if it's crash-landed there! :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, Thanks Mike , I planted loads of flowers and Buddleia to attract Butterflies and when you see them in such good numbers it makes the hard work of gardening worth while :D Glad you liked the shot of the Elephant :D

Hi! Allan, I've got four Boules Mauve in my Garden and last year I took cutting from them because I thought they were looking a bit dowdy, I over wintered them in my green house and to my surprise the cutting's I took were okay, so I saved two for myself and was able to give a couple away, my two cuttings have done me proud having seen the Butterflies land on them :D
I did get a shot of a CY whilst I was in Kent Allan only the one Butterfly but it was enough, it turned out to be an "Hellice" :D

Hi! Wurzel, my Elephant is great :D your girls would love it, the trunk lights up and both eyes at night and best of all it's energy comes from the Sun :D and it attracts Butterflies :lol:

Thanks a lot David for your post, your right about the Comma, it landed on the top of my swing seat, the canvas is really well worn now so I didn't like showing that too much :D

Hi! Dave, Glad you like the Marigold shot, I must say I like that best, the Small Tort did seem to crash land in it :D One sec it was on the B Mauve then to my amazement it landed straight into the flower :lol:

I took a few more shots of the Butterflies over the last two days with the Peacock coming back again but in quite a worst state than before and whilst some of the RA's were still in good shape some were worse for wear. The Small Tort had faded slightly but was still quite active , my big surprise was the fact that even though we'd no Sun over the last two days and even had rain the Butterflies still came , a Large White arrived yesterday and was in pretty good condition , the forecast for the next few days is good so I'm wondering what will turn up then. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Taken 23rd Sept on miniature Buddlea
Taken 23rd Sept on miniature Buddlea
Taken 24th Sept
Taken 24th Sept
Looks like it's showing off!!! 24th Sept
Looks like it's showing off!!! 24th Sept
Taken 24th Sept
Taken 24th Sept
Taken 24th Sept
Taken 24th Sept

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting that the butterflies are still coming in lass than ideal conditions - perhaps they're behaving like birds/bears and stocking up wherever and whenever prior to either migration or hibernation? Interesting looking Peacock there, from the angle it looks like it's lost it's 'pupils' from the hind wings :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, the Butterflies were still here yesterday and today, it's been fine and dry here but no Sun and yet the Admiral's were here :D Has soon has the rain stopped yesterday they were back :D
That Peacock is rather worn now , I think that's why it looks like it's got no colour in it's eyes, one or two of the Admiral's are in the same state but some are really fresh looking, I've never known Butterflies to come in darkish conditions before but I've put it down to the weather still being warm. :D

Yesterday, Comma's were back in the garden but they kept high up on the Buddliea which has only two or three flowers left on it , I've usually chopped them down by now but decided to wait until the Butterflies have gone. RA's arrived first on the front and back gardens, the Comma usually prefer's the Back garden :D
The shots I took yesterday and today, we'd a bit more Sun after lunch today and this really fresh looking Comma arrived, I was surprised at it's condition and managed a few shots before the rain started. Goldie :D
Attachments
Sept 27th
Sept 27th
Sept 26th
Sept 26th
Sept 25th
Sept 25th
Find the Comma Sept 26th
Find the Comma Sept 26th

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Your garden does seem to come alive at this time of year, just when us down south are starting to wain. I love that Comma hiding behind the Buddleja :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Seems all my area's butterflies have headed north to your garden, Goldie!!

It's been a hideous period lately so it's good to know a few folk have had visitors to their flower beds!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That second Red Admiral shot is a cracker Goldie, it should be titled "Incoming..." :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks very much for your Comments, Bugboy, David and Wurzel, I was out with my Cousin all day yesterday my Husband doing the driving :D We ended up in Southport, the weather was lovely more like a Spring day, very little breeze, full Sun, great, but! only one Butterfly spotted, a White, it looked like a Small White to me. No Wall's !! so it looks like you've got all the Wall's in the South. :)
Hi! Bugboy, yes the garden seems to come alive in Sept, it used to be great in Spring as well but these last few years a part from the odd Butterfly, nothing much appears now, mind you, after being at SP yesterday and seeing the state of the flowers there (non existent) I'm not surprised the gardens are full of Butterflies. :D

Hi! David, most of the Butterflies in my garden have been Red Admirals, I've been in touch with Lanc's Butterflies and they say we've had quite a lot of RA recorded and seen here, has for the other BF's , it looks like they were on track in the North, or so I believe. :D

Hi! Wurzel, I was lucky with that shot :D I happened to be taking a shot of the other Admiral, I'd my camera set for three quick shots when this one came along :D I was surprised when I saw the shot afterwards :lol: I hope your lucky and get your Cloudy, I'm looking forward to seeing it :D Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Comma in particular, Goldie. Your garden is a real butterfly magnet at this time of year. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Dave, your comments are always appreciated, September is a month I always look forward to in the garden, we always seem to get loads of Butterflies then, I'm sure they come because there's nothing much left in the fields to nectar on which is a plus for us. :D

When I went to Southport last Thursday the weather was lovely like I said, I forgot to to add a shot of the Tower I took from across the bay from the local Marshside Bird Sanctuary , we didn't manage the Hide but lots of people were going there with their Camera's so some thing was arriving, I'd my cousin with me so that stopped me but I hope to go back there. :D

On Friday we were lucky with the weather and once again my usual Butterflies arrived all except for the Small Torts, I say all because this time there were three Comma's not just one :D One landed on the side of the bird bath waiting for the Sun to come out from behind a cloud, whilst the other fancied the flowers and joined in with the RA's who were constantly shaking drops of water from the flowers which were still wet from the rain we had the night before from their wings :D and the third which circled me and then landed on my shoulder :D I could have stood there all day :D
It was one of those day's I can look back on and remember in the Winter :D
Saturday was awful it rained all day and today doesn't look much better but if the rain stop's I'll be out in the garden again looking for the Butterflies :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Blackpool from Marshside
Blackpool from Marshside
fullsizeoutput_6fac.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6fa8.jpeg
IMG_8131.jpg
fullsizeoutput_6fa4.jpeg

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

That’s a very smart Comma Goldie, the white comma really stands out from the dark underside. I think you might be in luck, there appears to be a window of decent weather this coming week.

Best wishes

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Indeed I agree with Rex, the comma really stands out on Comma :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”