Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Allan, we went to Reculver Saturday morning and we did go up by the pub but the only thing flying was the Whites, it was so windy when we left the lane it blew my hat off so we called it a day.
I've been grounded today :lol: and told I needed a rest ( which I Did ) :D Hope fully we'll be off again , i want to go back to see if I can see a Skipper, I hope you see a Cloudy, I was in the top meadow on the path and ended up high after chasing after it up the hill
:D
I saw the Wall at the top of the path near the fence, we may see you there :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find with the Cloudie Goldie and the in flight shot makes it look good for a Helice :D , a form I've yet to see :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

If the weather is good enough you should try again, I saw a few Silver Spots at Temple Ewell yesterday, before the drizzle arrived,
Attachments
P1650564.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, it was a case of right place right time, I hope you see one before the season ends, it certainly took me by surprise it wasn't even sunny and I'd to chase it a round a bit lucky for me it stopped a few times . :D

Thanks Essex, funny thing is we went to TEW yesterday and nearly got blown a way :D we went in the afternoon, we didn't see the Skipper's though, if weather permits I'll try again in the morning although the forecast looks a bit grim, we're off on Sunday home so can't grumble at the things I've seen so far, we've had a great time. :D

Today may be the last day for taking shots and with the weather seemingly better here than Dover way we decided on some where more local so we went to Seasalter, again it was very dull and windy whilst we were there, ( it picked up when we left).
We took the path across the top towards the sea and once through the iron gate sharp left down the slope out of the wind.
The path is very sheltered with a good bit of shrubbery and it was on the path we saw the Red Admiral, coming back past the shrubbery I saw some thing Blue and was delighted to see a Holly Blue in perfect condition who posed for some shots. :lol:
After that we decided to pay East Blean Woods a last visit but the only Butterflies we saw there were GK's MB's and Large Whit's and Small White's, I was happy though with my Holly Blue. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5228.jpg
IMG_5227.jpg
IMG_5217.jpg
IMG_5215.jpg
IMG_5211.jpg
IMG_5206.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Very characterful HB shots, Goldie. I often see them posed like that in my garden but, usually, too high up to get decent photos :(

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That's a lovely lady you got there Goldie :) definitely 'fresh out the box' to use a Wurzelism :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well Goldie, my favourites are the Whites - showing all that detail against a dark background isn't easy and quite a few folk (including myself) don't always manage it :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of images from your most recent outing Goldie :D The weather - and painting has kept me in this week :( so it was nice to see your images :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Nice female Holly Blue, Goldie. Not easy to get shots of at any time. :)

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody, it's been a great two weeks I've seen over 22 different species, even though the weather this last week has been bad at times we've stilled managed to dodge the showers. :D

Today we felt tired and decided hills were not on the cards for today, so we went to Reculver instead, we've a long journey tomorrow so taking it easy was the best way to Finnish the holidays. :D

At Reculver we saw lots of Butterflies, certainly lots of Holly Blues ( you were right about them Allan ) I've just posted a few of the Butterflies we saw, the Whites seemed almost Yellow ,I thought at first they were Cloudies :D The Butterflies all seemed very fresh except for the odd Red Admiral which were slightly worn. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_64b6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_64b7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_64b8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_64be.jpeg
IMG_5277.jpg
IMG_5272.jpg
fullsizeoutput_64bb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_64bd.jpeg

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I'm glad you've had a nice time down here, Goldie. While the weather has been a bit up and down , it looks like you have been to some nice places and seen some great stuff.

David M

Post by David M »

That last female Holly Blue has a monumental black band on the forewing, Goldie. I don't think I've ever seen one like that before.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
Hope you had a safe trip home,very pleased that you managed a few Holly Blues at Reculver. I had a Couple of hours at Lydden/Temple Ewell
this morning ,drizzling when I set out,but reasonable on arrival ! Hundreds of Chalkhills about all roosting at first ,but as the sun showed they took to the wing,all the other usual suspects + a late Marbled White ,in fine fettle,and a clouded yellow with four male Chalkhills in hot pursuit ! A single
Wall on the lower path ,and seven Silver Spots ,very pleased,also a female Wasp spider. regards Allan.W.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We got home at about 3pm a long journey but a satisfying one :D It took us about five and a half hours so that's pretty good going
with all the road works on the M1, now we've got our feet up having a cup of tea and planning our next venture up to the Lakes :lol:
I'd like to see the Scotch Argus if Possible at Arnside Knott, I'm not sure the Northern Brown and High Brown will be there now but we are a bit behind here compared to the South so you never know, it's raining here at present so it will depend on the weather this next week-end. :D

Thanks Allan, did you manage a shot of the Clouded Yellow? I hope you did! I would have loved to get a shot of the SSS but we were really whacked, I think the two weeks out every day got to us in the end. :D

Hi! David, I noticed that blue band has well but I don't know if it's unusual or not , in fact the only Holly Blues I've seen so far all seemed to be Female, most didn't open their wings, she was certainly a lovely Butterfly. :D

Thanks Essex, we've enjoyed ourselves and we may be back in September for a few days, Train I think next time for a change :lol:
Thanks again every one for your posts Goldie :D

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

No I never managed to get a shot of the Cloudy, Goldie,it was to busy being hassled by the Chalkhills to stop for a photo !!
I did manage a few Shots of the one at Dungeness,and they,re turning up in numbers around and about (including my local woods ie; Orlestone forest )
so should be plenty of opportunity yet (I hope ! ).I,m pleased you had some joy down here in "sunny" Kent !
Regards Allan.W.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a great haul for the holiday trip Goldie, great set of shots as well :D Good luck with the Scotch Argus :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

There may be a few Northern Brown Argus hanging on at Arnside, Goldie. It's well worth a visit.

By contrast, Scotch Argus should be right at their peak, so go for it!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Alan, it sounds like you'll have some thing to show us shortly :D I may be back there in September, ( may Be) :D

Many thanks Wurzel, I want the SA if possible but don't mind if I can get the Brown Hair Streak at Gait Barrow, ( fingers crossed ) :D

Hi! David, Some ones still seeing High Brown at Arnside Knott has well , it's a cert for SA they seem to be well out now, NBA , I'm not sure , but hope fully I'll see some thing.

We've been busy in the Garden today , two weeks and every thing's gone mad :D we've done the front, now we've to start on the back. :( It's been a case of dodging the rain, we'd thunder this afternoon and the next few day's look hope less , hope fully Saturday we can get going again up to the Lakes.
I saw Red Admiral's and Small White's in the Garden this morning but no shots , they were busy looking for Partners , I got one shot of the Red that got a way. Goldie :D
Attachments
Red Admiral 1st Aug.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

After a week of rain it was great to hear we'd actually get some decent weather so we decided to gave Arnside Knott a visit.
When we got there it was about 11.30 just after they'd had a rain shower and the skies were still cloudy, so much for forecasts!
The weather gradually got better but it wasn't encouraging to hear from a couple that they'd seen no Butterflies, any way I knew where the Scotch Argus liked to hide in bad weather so we set off to find them :D

Find them we diid, :D also I was pleased to find Grayling also feasting on Wild Thyme :D The Sun by this time had made an appearance so we decided to move down the hill to the Meadow ,once there I was surprised when a Fritillary flew by me then another one landed a way from me on a flower, I was glad I'd got the camera ready just in case with the lens cap off and I took some quick shots :D looking at the Fritillaries I was convinced it was an High Brown also that it was weathered a bit because of the shine on it's wings, it made my day any way :lol:

Has the Sun really got warmer the Butterflies came out , Brimstone, Meadow Brown , Gate Keeper's all except the NBA :( I couldn't grumble though I'd hoped to see four species and I'd got three. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_668b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_666e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_666f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6677.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_665f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6664.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6661.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6668.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_665e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_668c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6658.jpeg

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
Thought you may be interested ,we visited Reculver again today ,was lucky with the parking . I was very surprised to see that a lot of the Ivy and the Elm sucker growth had been "tidied"since our last visit ,and this is the first time that I,d not managed to see at least one Holly Blue ! most surprised, along the sea wall (heading towards Margate ) on the lower path I found 6 Clouded Yellows (and one later on my patch....Orlestone Forest )
along with many Common Blues , and a Small tree that held 12 Little Egrets ! Not a bad couple of hours !
Regards Allan.W. PS; Great Scotch Argus Shots ! very envious...... I did see them ,years ago up near Inverness , and never thought to try and get a few shots ,think a visit up country may be in order next year !

Return to “Personal Diaries”