Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everyone for your posts, I would have replied earlier but in my area the broadband has been down for two days seems somebody cut the cable :roll: I felt sorry for the people who work from home, any way we're back again :D

Glad you like the photos Janet, the Gold Finch are so cute we've just put a new cage out in the garden to hope fully see more birds.

Thanks Wurzel, I'll keep them coming :D I saw this Coal Tit in the garden and just has I was taking a photo of it it flew off. :D

Hi! Neil, the weather was really cold yesterday but what a contrast to today, pouring with rain at present UGH! even the Birds are hiding. :D

Thanks David, your right, I keep thinking just a few more Butterflies to enter in Favourites and then we're nearly there :lol:

Before the Internet went down I managed to see my little Coal Tit a gain a couple of days before, so I've decided to post some shots. Goldie :D
Attachments
Coal Tit taking off
Coal Tit taking off
IMG_9369.jpg
IMG_9370.jpg

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great garden selections Goldie. I like the little Coal Tit. :)

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Andrew, it arrives every day, I look forward to seeing it, it makes my day. :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Coal Tit Goldie, especially the second one where you can see one of the defining features - the white stripe down the back of the black cap :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Enchanting little birds aren't they, Goldie? We all seem to have done well on the ornithological front this winter. I don't quite know why that is, because it hasn't exactly been Baltic, has it?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, I like to photograph this little bird he's so cute and visits every day :D

Hi! David, Yes, they are great little Birds, I think we've seen more because the weather has been really cold and the ground very hard, nothing much for them to dig up. we'd Snow again this morning but when the Sun came out it quickly melted. Roll on Spring
:D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yesterday was a cold miserable day but at least it was fine but with an icy wind that seemed to go through to the bones UGH!

Our Daughter was visiting us from Kent and she never seemed to warm up. :D Any way we decided on the Garden Centre for a visit, I'd just put on my coat when I noticed this Lady Black Bird watching the Suet Balls hanging on the Tree, ( I was feeling sorry for her knowing Black Birds are ground feeding Birds) when she flew up to the Suet Balls wings flapping and pecked at the balls knocking bits onto the ground, then, flying down ate them up and proceeded to do this again :D
I grabbed the Camera and tried to capture some of the action in-between the Stream from the central heating system getting in the way :lol: I did manage a few shots and whilst doing this captured a shot of yet another Robin :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_89e1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_89e4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8a0c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_89e2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_89e0.jpeg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of action shots Goldie :D Your Blackbird looked pretty grey rather than the usual brown which makes it interesting as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, the Black bird is a Female ( i think ) she's really nicely marked and a regular visitor to the garden, Iv'e taken a few shots of her because she's so nicely marked, I thought at first she was a thrush because of her speckled chest but I saw the Black Bird (Male ) being bossed by her so came to the conclusion she must be one :D Goldie :D PS I've added a few shots of her.
Attachments
IMG_9293.jpg
fullsizeoutput_8880.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8881.jpeg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Goldie M wrote:... but with an icy wind that seemed to go through to the bones UGH! ...
I Know exactly what you mean Goldie, it was bl**dy cold here earlier in the week.

Funnily enough I have recently been watching Blackbirds doing a similar thing at my feeders, sometimes a group of 4 or 5 males and females taking turns to fly up and knock bits off the fat block...clever birds :D

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

She's a cracker indeed Goldie :D Finally managed to get out today no butterflies at Five Rivers so did a bit of birding and saw a pair of Bullfinches :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post's Wurzel and Neil, the weather's been better these last couple of day's we've even had a couple of nice Sunsets but it's still been cold at night with frosts ; I've noticed the birds are coupling up now, today a couple of Gold Finch were together ,I'm not too sure about the Coal Tit's but two were in a tree in the back garden but certainly the Wood Pigeon's are, lots of bowing going on :lol: Spring is definitely in the air.Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_8a5e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8a53.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8a5b.jpeg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've just come across an Head Line in our local free paper that says the White Letter Hair Streak eggs have been found in Scotland
by two amateur naturalists from Bolton, it says," A rare find has the Butterfly hasn't been breeding there for 130 years" the place
mentioned is Lennel by the River Tweed in East Scotland, both naturalists are members of a Wild Life Charity, the President of which is David Attenborough.
I just thought this may be of interest to some UK Butterfly members. Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the tip off Goldie :D Great shot of the finches - I'd watch out though, they look like they're conspiring, the Greenfinch is definitely having a quiet word with the Goldfinch :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

You're right, Goldie, spring is in the air and the birds know it! This last week I have heard the beautiful calls of Chaffinches which always signal the end of winter for me.

Give it two or three weeks and we'll be in a different world entirely! :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Wurzel, you've caught me out again :oops: my only excuse is I took the shot from my kitchen window and the birds were at the bottom of the garden :lol: Also it was the morning after the night before if you get my meaning :lol:

Hi! Dave, I hope so, it's been a pretty grim Winter here, I've read peoples posts talking about 10/12 c, I think we're about 9c here today and it's miserable and that's the highest C we've had. So roll on Spring, one consolation, the Snow Drops and Crocus showing their heads :D Goldie :D

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

You caught some great moments there with these shots Goldie, nice one. :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Andrew, Butterflies next I hope :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Bitter cold out side today but that didn't stop the small birds, that is, until the Hawk arrived , I can't distinguish between Male or Female but this Hawk was a beauty and landed on our fence near the kitchen window, luckily I'd my camera near by watching for the smaller birds when the Hawk arrived so i managed quite a few shots, he stared right at me at one point I was certainly glad I wasn't on his menu :D
He swooped down into next doors garden I don't know what happened after that I just hope the birds got out of it's way.Goldie :D
Attachments
Sparrow Hawk 24th Feb BG (4).jpg
Sparrow Hawk 24th Feb BG (6).jpg
Sparrow Hawk 24th Feb BG (2).jpg
Sparrow Hawk 24th Feb BG (7).jpg

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Wow Goldie! :D , that must have been an exciting moment!, he/she is beautiful. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”