Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: Goldie M

Postby MikeOxon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi Goldie,

I can confirm that it has worked for me, too. I once photographed a PH on the ground, towards the end of a day's butterflying in Bernwood Forest, as recorded in my Diary from 2015.

We were returning to the car-park and, as I recall, I had already put my camera away, when I spotted a small dark butterfly on the surface of the ride.

Never found the same for Brown Hairstreak, though.

Mike

Goldie M

Postby Goldie M » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi! Mike, looks like I'll have to go to Sussex again but this time in August :D if I do it'll be Kent first for a couple of weeks then carry on and have a week-end in Sussex looking for BH's, :D that should give me time to look in the evening and the day time, can't do the evening at Gait Barrow, we usually go there Morning time and return afternoon. what ever happens it's the Brown Hair streak on my to get list for next year :D Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Postby essexbuzzard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi Goldie, unlike Purple Hairstreak, which peak in activity in the evenings, Brown Hairstreaks are Britains laziest butterflies, and are usually inactive after 3pm, even on warm days!

Goldie M

Postby Goldie M » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for that essex, it will save me loads of time and may be Gait Barrow will be the place to visit in the mornings after all to find them :D I'll still try for that week-end in the South though but now I know not to bother after 3pm :D Goldie :D

David M

Postby David M » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:20 pm

At my local site, Goldie, I find the bulk of females between 11.30am and 2pm, with a particular preference for midday to 1pm. The earliest I've ever seen one is 9.45am and I don't think I've ever seen one after 3pm!!

Goldie M

Postby Goldie M » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:47 am

Hi! David, it looks like Morning is definitely the best time then, I'm very glad to find this out from you and essex, it helps to to know the habits of the Butterflies your looking for.
I've usually arrived at Gait Barrow about 11am some times a bit later, I'll have to try to get there for about 10am, it all depends on the traffic has well, the M61 which I start out on goes to two lanes only when going onto the the M6 this causes a bottle neck in the Summer, fingers crossed I see them next year. I'll still try the South though as well :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”