Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi David, she certainly was a lovely individual...reminded me a bit of some of the females that I saw on the Great Orme last year.

Cornwall - May 30th to June 3rd part 5.

Round up of the rest.

Shortly after our arrival late on the afternoon on the Tuesday (30th May), after settling into our B&B, I popped just down the road to Poldhu Cove to stretch my legs and have a quick look around. It was cloudy and fairly breezy but a short walk along the coast path here turned up a few Common Blues and Small Heaths plus a flypast from a single Red Admiral which was my first sighting of the latter species this year.
Small Heath - Poldhu Cove 30.05.2017
Small Heath - Poldhu Cove 30.05.2017
I also saw a couple of Painted Ladies along the path here, identified as two different individuals by the amounts of wear and damage they had suffered.
Painted Lady - Poldhu Cove 30.05.2017
Painted Lady - Poldhu Cove 30.05.2017
During the rest of the week Painted Ladies appeared regularly, usually flying in at high speed off the sea. Most of the ones that I managed to get close to were looking worn and faded to some degree which made me think that they had travelled some distance to get here rather than recently emerging just over the channel. The most seen at one location was at Upton Towns where a dozen or more where flying around some large clumps of red valerian on the dunes.
Painted Lady - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Painted Lady - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Painted Lady - Predannack Cliffs 01.06.2017
Painted Lady - Predannack Cliffs 01.06.2017
Later that afternoon we stopped off for a coffee and ice-cream at the roadside café at Hells Mouth where we saw at least half a dozen fly in off the sea whilst we were sitting at a table outside.

Red Admirals were seen at a number of places particularly between Kynance Cove and Lizard Point and on the valerian at Upton Towans. For the most part these appeared to be in better condition than the Painted Ladies, maybe they had not travelled so far or had emerged locally.
Red Admiral - Near Lizard Point 31.05.2017
Red Admiral - Near Lizard Point 31.05.2017
Red Admiral - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Red Admiral - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Common Blues were the most widespread resident species, appearing at every location visited apart from the Marsh Fritillary site. These varied from really tired and tatty examples to some that looked to be in nice condition.
Common Blue - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Common Blue - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Common Blue - Predannack Cliffs 01.06.2017
Common Blue - Predannack Cliffs 01.06.2017
Common Blue - Near Lizard Point 31.05.2017
Common Blue - Near Lizard Point 31.05.2017
The walk from Mullion Cove to Predannack Cliffs produced a few Wall Browns, mostly tired and faded looking, but one female stood out as not only being in good condition but in having particularly large forewing eye-spots.
Wall Brown - Predannack Cliffs 01.06.2017
A couple of late first brood Small Coppers were also seen still hanging in there on the coast path between Kynance Cove and Lizard Point and also at Upton Towans.

Other species seen included Large and Small Whites and Speckled Woods that all popped up in ones and twos at most places plus a couple of fresh Large Skippers in the areas of long grass at Upton Towans.

Also at Upton Towans a couple of Hummingbird Hawk Moths were zipping about on the valerian and a Cream-spot Tiger Moth confused me for a bit before it settled down in the grass and I realised what it was.
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Cream-spot Tiger Moth - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
Cream-spot Tiger Moth - Upton Towans 01.06.2017
During my short walk at Poldhu Cove on the afternoon of the Tuesday, I had spotted an Adder lying in the grass close to the path. I reckon the cloudy conditions had made it a bit sluggish and I was right on top of it before I saw it but it soon disappeared into the grass when it realised I was there.
Adder - Poldhu Cove 30.05.2017
Adder - Poldhu Cove 30.05.2017
And finally, on the Friday afternoon at Lizard Point there were a couple of Grey Seals swimming about just off the rocks.
Grey Seal - Lizard Point 02.06.2017
Grey Seal - Lizard Point 02.06.2017
We left our B&B after breakfast on the Saturday morning under grey clouds and drizzle for the long drive back to the midlands.
All in all, a great few days spent in a beautiful part of the country.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Greta stuff Neil especially the Wall, as you say large eyes staring back at you :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

That looks to have been a productive week, Neil. One day, I must visit that area myself – Cornwall is the only English county I’ve never set foot in!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, I was particularly chuffed with the Wall Brown as it is a species that has disappeared from my neck of the woods and I often miss it in my travels.

Hi David, I hadn't been to Cornwall for years and then a couple of years back I was tempted after reading Essex Buzzards reports on here. I have been back a couple of times since and fully intend to keep returning :D

Some recent garden moths

After a week of wet and windy weather following our return from Cornwall, this week has been much better with some warm sunny days and mild nights, although being stuck in work means I can't take advantage of the days. The moth trap has been out in the garden a couple of times with some nice moths coming to it which have brought my garden tally up to 71 macro species and 38 micros so far identified.
Lime Hawk Moth - Coverdale 14.06.2017
Lime Hawk Moth - Coverdale 14.06.2017
Figure of Eighty - I posted one of these before but as they pose so well I couldn't resist posting another.
Figure of Eighty - I posted one of these before but as they pose so well I couldn't resist posting another.
Grey / Dark Dagger - recorded as aggregate as can't tell the adults apart.
Grey / Dark Dagger - recorded as aggregate as can't tell the adults apart.
Flame - although I reckon this one should be called 'Stick'
Flame - although I reckon this one should be called 'Stick'
Friday 16th June

A brief Friday afternoon visit to the park by my Mom's house in overcast but warm (20 degrees) conditions produced a dozen or so Large skippers plus half a dozen Ringlets and a couple of fresh male Meadow Browns in the areas of long grass, my first of the latter two species this year. The Ringlets and Meadow Browns insisted on settling low down in the grass which meant that I only managed a few record shots of these.
Four or Five new brood Speckled Woods were also flitting about along the edge of the small wooded area here.
Large Skipper - Langley Hall 16.06.2017
Large Skippers - Langley Hall 16.06.2017
Large Skippers - Langley Hall 16.06.2017
Ringlet - Langley Hall 16.06.2017
Ringlet - Langley Hall 16.06.2017
Meadow Brown - Langley Hall 16.06.2017
Meadow Brown - Langley Hall 16.06.2017

Speckled Wood -  Langley Hall 16.06.2017
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 16.06.2017
New Specklies have also appeared in my garden this week but I just haven't got around to take any photos of these yet.

Bye for now,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a beautifully marked Specklie Neil :D :mrgreen: If you flick through the images quickly you could almost mistake it for a Marbled White...almost...I know I'm pushing it a bit but you get my meaning :roll: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

They do gorgeous ice cream in the Hells Mouth cafe, from Calestick Farm, I trust you enjoyed! In the Mouth itself, grey seal pups are born in September.

I'm glad I inspired you to visit Cornwall, Neil. There are plenty of people on UKB that inspire me, so it works both ways, hopefully to the benefit of us all!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just catching up Neil, great shots from Cornwall, I'd like to visit either there or Dorset in August Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for your comments Wurzel, Mark and Goldie...my apologies for not responding sooner, it has been a bit of a strange week.

Like a lot of people I have had trouble sleeping in this heat and, with all the house windows wide open, the dawn chorus has been waking me up before 04.00 in the morning (I usually get up for work at 05.00 anyway). With these early rises, and working in a sweltering office, I have been drained by early evening and been having some early nights to try and catch up on some sleep.

Nevertheless, I have been putting the garden moth trap out a few times and the warm muggy nights have led to some bumper catches and at least the early get ups have meant that I can beat the birds to it in the morning. My early evenings have been taken up mostly by sorting out the catches and trying to take some photos...not easy with the heat making the moths very flighty.

Last year, a female Scalloped Oak Moth left some eggs in a plastic pot and I reared some of these through and in due course had 9 pupae to overwinter. These started emerging on Tuesday night, by a spooky coincidence, the same night I had the first one of these this year in the moth trap so their emergence was bang on time. So far 7 of them have emerged leaving 2 which may well emerge tonight in these conditions.
Scalloped Oak - reared from female trapped in garden last year.
Scalloped Oak - reared from female trapped in garden last year.
It looks like tonight will be the last warm and muggy one for a bit so I am making the most of it and putting the trap out again.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking looking moth there Neil :D Good luck with the trapping tonight :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel,

As predicted the last two Scalloped Oak emerged that night...all were released back into the garden.

That night I ended up with my highest number of moths so far this season...225 moths of 53 species including micros, and that is just the ones I have manged to ID so far and does not include the many that escaped whilst examining the trap.

Saturday 24th June

Am I the only person who did not see any butterflies last week during the run of hot days? I was stuck inside all week at work and last weekend was taken up mostly with family stuff and although I did have a couple of hours spare on Sunday afternoon, it was just too hot and I figured the butterflies would either be hyperactive or taking to the shade. Never happy are we, it is either too cloudy, too windy, too wet, or too hot.

Anyway, the past couple of days have been cloudier and cooler although we have not had any rain for over a week and the garden is looking dry. Some more house and family stuff this morning and a couple of hours this afternoon spent pottering about in the garden with my camera to hand as usual in case anything of interest turned up.

As well as a couple of resident male Speckled Wood, both of which were looking a bit tired now, a Ringlet spent most of the afternoon bobbing back and forth along the borders.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 24.06.2017
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 24.06.2017
Ringlet - Coverdale 24.06.2017
Down the bottom of the garden where I let the grass grow long, I spotted a female Large Skipper,
Large Skipper - Coverdale 24.06.2017
Large Skipper - Coverdale 24.06.2017
There is also a large patch of brambles at the bottom of the garden and a Red Admiral had settled in and was chasing off everything that came close, including at one point a second Red Admiral.
Red Admiral - Coverdale 24.06.2017
A Small Tortoiseshell also briefly settled on the brambles before it too was seen off by the Red Admiral.
Small Tortoiseshell - Coverdale 24.06.2017
Small Tortoiseshell - Coverdale 24.06.2017
A lot of summer butterflies seem to be emerging a bit early this year which has thrown my plans awry somewhat with time already booked off work and B&Bs booked for our trips. An example of this is I have next week off work and we are going down to the Heddon Valley for a few days which is great in itself but with Purple Emperors already well out it means I will probably miss them again this year.
Oh well!, I suppose you can't be in two places at the same time and that just gives me something to look forward to another year.

Bye for now,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, I'm in the same situation, I've got a Christening to go to next week-end and to day we're going out with family, I thought I'd plenty of time to see the PE's but won't be able to go when I thought I could. I think it calls for some juggling about. :D Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, ah yes!, the art of juggling family and hobby interests...not easy when everything has to be crammed into the weekends

Sunday 25th June

A day which the forecasters usually describe as 'changeable' which meant that it was mostly cloudy with some drizzle and light rain and the occasional brief sunny spell.
We are heading off to the Heddon Valley in the morning for a few days so today was mostly spent keeping on top of a few things around the house and garden.

I hadn't put the moth trap out in the garden since the weather turned on Thursday, my last time being Wednesday night when I had 99 macros of 24 species and 126 of 29 micros giving a total of 225 moths of 53 species, my highest yet this year. That wasn't including the many that escaped as I was examining the trap.
I was undecided about putting it out last night as it was a bit breezy here. In the end I went for it and was glad I did with 119 macros of 35 species and 69 of 14 micros giving a total of 187 moths of 49 species, a lower total than last Wednesday but with more macros and fewer micros, no doubt due to the breezier conditions. At least stopping at home today gave me the chance to sort through the catch and take some photos.

These included my second Elephant Hawk to the trap this year,
Elephant Hawk Moth - Coverdale 24.06.2017
...and a selection of other nice moths from last night,
Swallow-tailed Moth - a personal favourite
Swallow-tailed Moth - a personal favourite
Scorched Wing - a first for my garden
Scorched Wing - a first for my garden
Common White Wave - had a couple of these
Common White Wave - had a couple of these
Light Arches and Dark Arches together.
Light Arches and Dark Arches together.
Buff Ermine
Buff Ermine
Double Square-spot - another new one for the garden
Double Square-spot - another new one for the garden
Well, fingers crossed for the weather over the next few days.

Bye for now,

Neil.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Your pictures are making me want to get more into moths... :oops: :oops: :oops: I used to deliberately leave windows open with the light on when I was little to see what I could attract, much to my parents annoyance!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"not easy when everything has to be crammed into the weekends" - I hear that Neil, and to make matters worse we often end up with a weather pattern of great during the mid week and useless at the weekends :? Oh well mustn't grumble (too much :wink: ) . Great selection of moths, the Scorched Wing is a beauty :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I really appreciate your moth images, Neil, particularly that last Elephant Hawk moth, which is stunning.

Good luck in the Heddon Valley. Cloudier conditions will mean you will see fewer Fritillaries, but you just might get lucky with a close encounter or two to compensate!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bugboy, I have done that myself in the past, just left windows open with the light on to see if anything comes in...not always just moths tho' :lol:

Cheers Wurzel, I think having a grumble is a national art that must be cherished :wink: That Scorched Wing was a bit worn as well, I would love to see a fresh one.

David M wrote:...Good luck in the Heddon Valley. Cloudier conditions will mean you will see fewer Fritillaries, but you just might get lucky with a close encounter or two to compensate!
Thanks David...prophetic words indeed.

But first...

June 26th - Haddon Hill.

On Monday (26th June), we set off heading south-west for a couple of days staying at the Hunters Inn in the Heddon Valley. This would be the third time we had stayed there in recent years, our previous visits being in June of 2015 and 2013 making it every other year that we have returned, this being purely by chance with absolutely no 'cunning plan' behind it
When we had travelled down in 2013, we had stopped of at Haddon Hill to see Heath Fritillaries there, although we did not do so in 2015 as it had rained for most of the journey down that year.

Having set out this time in decent weather e.g. blue skies, white fluffy clouds and 20c, I figured a stop off this time would be in order. The weather was still looking good until we were well past Bristol when the clouds started thickening up and by the time we were heading into Exmoor it was wall to wall grey overcast and the temperature had dropped to 16c.

Anyway, having allowed the time for stopping at Haddon Hill we continued on and pulled into the car park at around 12.30. Although the conditions were borderline at best I toddled off to the spot where I had seen the Heath Fritillaries before, at the bottom of the path down the slope and along the tree line to the right, hoping that it would be just warm enough in that sheltered spot for them to be active.

The first butterflies seen were a few Meadow Browns, Large Skippers, and Small Heaths and on arriving at the spot mentioned above, I soon saw the distinctive flight of a Heath Fritillary. Within minutes this one was followed by a few more and in the time I spent here, about 45 minutes, I reckon I saw maybe half a dozen individuals, some well past their best but at least a couple that were in better condition still.
Heath Fritillary - Haddon Hill 26.06.2017
After a while the skies turned an even darker shade of grey and I could feel a bit of drizzle in the air so I returned to the car and we continued on our way to the Heddon Valley.

Bye for now.

Neil

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Your moth pictures are amazing - especially the elephant hawk moth! :mrgreen: How big is your moth trap? If you get that many macros in, it must be room sized!
Cheers, Janet

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Janet, glad you like the moth photos :D

My trap is a standard sized Robinson with actinic tubes. The photo below shows it in position at the bottom of my garden earlier in the year. The egg boxes inside the trap provide plenty of hiding places for the moths to tuck themselves in to.
Moth trap in my garden back in April.
Moth trap in my garden back in April.
Cheers,

Neil.

trevor

Post by trevor »

We went to East Blean woods in Kent for the Heath Fritillary on the same day that you
went to Haddon Hill for the same species. Nearly all those we saw were quite worn
but yours look to be reasonably fresh, maybe Haddon is a later site.
The bonus for us was a couple of fresh Purple Hairstreaks which compensated for the
tired Heaths.

Great images and reports as usual, and a mrgreen for the Hawk Moths :mrgreen: .
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Heaths Neil :D They seem a little hairier than the ones I saw in Kent a fortnight ago - I wonder if that is to do with their more exposed habitat :?

Looking forward to some HBF action :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”