Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Wurzel

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Wurzel, cracking photos of the female SWF :D
Wurzel wrote:Bentley Wood 13-07-2014
... I’d always assumed that they’d la them on the ground on or near Violets as they’re the larval food plant so I’m guessing that the first thing the cats do is crawl or abseil down to the ground once hatched?
Wurzel
The first thing they do after hatching and eating the eggshell is go into hibernation on the tree. The caterpillar doesn't come down looking for violets until the spring.

Cheers,

Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great photography in the egg-laying shots SWF Wurzel. By comparison my ones are indistinct and blurred. They are so fast and furtive, usually laying in the shadows that you did exceptionally well to get those shots :mrgreen:

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Nick :D When it comes to Smeesex I'm pretty confident about the ID's, but not confident enough all the time to actually say what I think it is :wink: :lol:
Cheers Neil :D That's interesting to know I'll have to do a bit more reading up :D
Cheers Pauline :D If I had been using film that would have been a very, very expensive shot to get - the bin would have been full! :shock: :wink:

This has been a long time coming as I was behind with my PD but catching up and then disaster struck - I had to go on a family camping holiday to the Isle of Purbeck with the possibility of Wall Browns, Graylings and Lulworth Skippers - oh the torture :wink: :lol: However that means that I'm even further behind on my PD :roll:

14-07-2014 Larkhill and The Devenish

This week started as pretty much the rest of the week progressed. Where possible I’d stop at Larkhill in the morning and then do a mad rush to The Devenish in the afternoon...

This morning I checked the end of the Western path first and stumbled across a lovely second brood Green-veined White, it looked glorious in the morning sun. A few Marbled Whites still hung around looking past their best now but otherwise it was quite quiet.
122 - Copy-001.JPG
Hence I moved over to the Northern path which was quieter still apart from the very entrance which held a few Hedge Browns. Both males showed some nice variations with the first having more of a figure of 8 than an eye on the fore-wing. The second was an ‘excessa’ (I think that’s what they’re called) only this had 2 dots on the left fore-wing and only one on the right. I headed onto work ready to face the day after my 5 minute stop-off.
141 - Copy-001.JPG
146 - Copy-001.JPG
The journey to The Devenish gets more and more torturous each time I make it. I always seem to have a smooth run at the start which lulls me into a sense of false security only for something to slow me up on the later stages. Today it was a Pole driving at 10-15 mph below the speed limit from Upavon to the Countess Roundabout (almost 2/3 of the entire journey). I sussed out why – I think he thought the speed limit signs were in kph!

Once at The Devenish I had reduced time so set off at a pace up towards ‘The Down’. I practically ran it with my eyes closed – only to get to the top of the Down and scan around...and not see any Chalk Hill Blues. No matter how hard I looked, stared, willed them to appear I didn’t see a single ghostly blue Chalk Hill. So I worked my way back down the Down and started noticing what was around. Mainly it was the Meadow Browns and surprisingly large numbers of Hedge Browns as well as a stunning Peacock.
221 - Copy-001.JPG
224 - Copy-001.JPG
15-07-2014 Larkhill and The Devenish

The stop-off today was briefer still and all I really had time for was a quick once over near the car park and enough time for a female Hedge Brown and a Meadow Brown to settle. The Meadow Brown was looking disturbingly worn. If they keep up at this rate there mightn’t be any butterflies left by September!
243 - Copy-001.JPG
258 - Copy-001.JPG
The move to The Devenish later was again fraught. Today it was the turn of the ‘old biddy’ to slow me down, dawdling along and just when the opportunity to overtake appeared another car would rush towards me snuffing any hopes of getting past. I don’t mind driving slowly but it would have been nice if she’d found an extra couple of mph as then I could have stayed comfortably in fourth gear...

Still I got my rewards in the form of my first Devenish Silver-washed. It was up on the patch of Bramble which is proving to be something of a hotspot. The only drawback is that it reaches back so far that the butterflies are never really ‘close’. Still I didn’t mind as you can clearly see what it is so is good enough for photographic ‘proof’ purposes.
260 - Copy-001.JPG
262 - Copy-001.JPG
Up on the Down – yep – still no Chalk Hills! So I scurried back down and through the Meadow and there was the Silver-washed to wave me off.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

August 2014

This time of year is great but also slightly depressing as the end (hopefully a good way away yet) of the season is in sight.
08 Aug 2014.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Larkhill 16-07-2014

I had slightly longer this morning as I’d made it in good time from home which was just as well as the butterflies were playing hard to get. Despite the early hour it was already dam hot so the butterflies were already on the wing. Meadow and Hedge Browns were all over the place including when I set off up the Westbound path...

After much waiting (a whole 2 of my 5 minutes) a Green-veined White finally deigned to settle. It then decided that it would look better on a different flower and hence moved off.
275 - Copy-001.JPG
285 - Copy-001.JPG
A large dark butterfly took off from basking on the well trodden path and landed in a nearby tree. It was revealed as a Peacock and watched me quizzically as I gently approached. It must have considered me a non-threat as it then read my mind and turned round so I could get a nice closed wing profile shot.
289 - Copy-001.JPG
300 - Copy-001.JPG
Time was up and I risked being late for work to make one last stop-off for a strangely light Gatekeeper – more of a Hedge Blonde than Brown.
308 - Copy-001.JPG
The Devenish 16-07-2014

So I’ve had the foreign driver mistaking mph for kph, then there was the old biddy that could barely see over the steering wheel. Well tonight it was a double act; the over considerate driver and caravan tower :roll: . As I approached the 90degree bend at Upavon behind the same slow driver I’d been following since Pewsey instead of carrying on round the corner as we had right of way flashed another driver waiting at the junction letting him pull in front of us – with his massive caravan trailing behind. Why he did this I don’t know – there was nothing behind me so the caravaner would only have had to waited a further 10 seconds or so? Then later on I would have been able to overtake my slow nemesis but “Mr aren’t I nice” had made my journey even more excruciatingly painful with the added little twists of the knife as; a – I wouldn’t be able to overtake both cars and caravan, b – the over considerate driver would be enjoying the smug and self satisfied glow the whole way! :x

Needless to say my stop at The Devenish when I eventually reached it was the most frenetic yet. I only stopped sprinting twice the whole time I was on site, even up the Down (my calves were on fire after that). Once for a Peacock on the path and the second for a 6-spot Burnet which was evading the reach of a cab spider – just! The rest of the species seen can be summed up as ‘pretty much the same’ and still no Chalk Hills...
357 - Copy-001.JPG
358 - Copy-001.JPG
364 - Copy-001.JPG
I think I need some Zen training to deal with this daily butterfly grind. :roll: :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wurzel wrote:Well tonight it was a double act; the over considerate driver and caravan tower :roll: .
...and I thought these things only happen to me :D

On my last visit to Otmoor, I'd driven all the way down the lane to Beckley, to be met by a 'Road Closed' sign, so a long detour back to the main road for the alternative route to the Moor!

millerd

Post by millerd »

You should try dealing with the M25, Wurzel - most of my trips out away from home involve this ghastly road. A catalogue of extraordinary driving... :shock:
Those Chalkhills must come soon - I keep forgetting we're looking back in time a fortnight in your diary at the moment. This also explains the vibrant orange colour of your Hedge Browns (mine are fading fast :( )!

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote:.... the over considerate driver and caravan tower :roll: . As I approached the 90degree bend at Upavon behind the same slow driver I’d been following since Pewsey instead of carrying on round the corner as we had right of way flashed another driver waiting at the junction letting him pull in front of us – with his massive caravan trailing behind. Why he did this I don’t know – there was nothing behind me so the caravaner would only have had to waited a further 10 seconds or so? Then later on I would have been able to overtake my slow nemesis but “Mr aren’t I nice” had made my journey even more excruciatingly painful with the added little twists of the knife as; a – I wouldn’t be able to overtake both cars and caravan, b – the over considerate driver would be enjoying the smug and self satisfied glow the whole way!
A few years back I passed my advanced driving test with my work and this sort of situation was discussed at length during the training in the run up to the test. It is known as 'misplaced courtesy' and can actually lead to accidents. In your case, what if a cyclist had come past the inside of you and the car that flashed and the other car had hit him/her. Or the caravaner pulled out into the path of a car coming the other way (purely hypothetical of course as I don't know the road). Guess who would get the blame ?.. he wouldn't be so smug and satisfied then.

It is a lovely relaxing hobby we have :wink: :lol:

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the empathy Mike - and it's always when you're so looking forward to going somewhere :roll:
Cheers Dave :D I did get the Chalk Hills eventually but it took some doing :wink: I'm trying to catch up with my PD but every time I get another post written I go out the next day - so have another one to write :roll: By the way isn't the M25 one of Dante's Cricles of Hell? :wink:
Cheers Neil :D It's good to have an official name for one form of the annoying driver, it will drastically increase the quality of my 'in-car' rants' :lol:

17-07-2014 Larkhill

This morning was a funny one as despite having plenty of time (the full five minutes) it was pretty quiet and there was almost an end of the season feel in the air as the next brood of blues haven’t arrived yet and the earlier browns are waning fast.

As I headed off up the Westbound path I was surprised as I didn’t see any Hedge Browns and it felt like I’d gone back in a time machine as there were 5 Smessex, 3 Ringlets, 4 Marbled Whites and 7 Meadow Browns – all past their best. All species which I’ve been encountering for just over a month now yet the later emergers were nowhere to be seen.
019 - Copy-001.JPG
023 - Copy-001.JPG
17-07-2014 Break Duty

As I had the joys of a Staff meeting after work I wouldn’t be able to make my usual stop-off at The Devenish (some respite from the car mania I guess) so instead to make up for it I took my camera on my break duty. It has the added benefit of freaking the smokers out a little bit more as they think I don’t need to creep up to catch them out I can use my ‘telephoto lens’, I haven’t explained that my lens is a Macro nor that when carrying it the lens cap is on until I see something interesting insect wise as the camera makes for an easier duty time. :wink:

First up was round the back of the Sports Centre and the diesel store and a Small Tortoiseshell did a brief fly-by and landed for a fraction of a second on a the diesel tank. I carried on round to the allotments that back on to the school grounds and a couple of whites (a large and 2 small) were flying and eying up the greenery much to the chagrin of the morning gardeners. Also flying were a couple of Smessex and a Ringlet keeping low to the small fence and down among the grasses. Luckily the butterfly posed between the gaps in the wire fence so I could get a shot.
039 - Copy-001.JPG
044 - Copy-001.JPG
I carried on off site to check on another few haunts round the local estate. A Small White landed for a while on a hedge so I managed to creep up for a few final shots. The garage area was quiet both in terms of butterflies and smokers and the walk back to the main block across the field threw up about 4 Meadow Browns and 2 more Small Tortoiseshells. I’d missed out on my daily Chalk Hill check but it was nice to see some local butterflies and not have the added hassle of dealing with those pesky kids.
054 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Wurzel, catching up again :roll: loads of lovely recent shots :D and great shots of the ovipositing SW Frits :D
On our travels we also see some appalling and sometimes dangerous driving, where's the plod when you need them :roll:

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D The Plod are generally waiting with their little speed guns to catch you when you do 1 mph over the speed limit rather than getting the dangerous drivers off the road :roll:

08-07 2014 Larkhill

Things were a bit more active this morning and I headed from the car park about a 100m along the Westbound path. There were a few Smessex on the way and the local Peacock went up from the path where it seems to have set up its own personal basking spot. A few aged Marbled Whites and Ringlets put in a late turn. there were also good numbers of Meadow Browns although the real star of the day for me was a gorgeous and very relaxed female Hedge Brown. All too soon I had to tear myself away and back to work.
003 - Copy-001.JPG
014 - Copy-001.JPG
015 - Copy-001.JPG
18-07-2014 The Devenish

At the other end of the day I had to steeled myself, took a deep breath and set off in the car wondering what would delay me on my journey to The Devenish tonight? As it turned out today was one of those freaky days when I made it without a single car in front to slow me down and so I arrived at The Devenish relaxed and with my full complement of time.

The car park was busy with the Comma taking up guard in the trees above the path and a Green-veined White and Peacock fed on the Hemp Agrimony amongst the flitting orange and brown flashes of the Hedge Browns.
053 - Copy-001.JPG
The Meadow was alive with butterflies all flying no higher than waist height apart from the pair of Specklies having a mini battle by the gate. A few Marbled Whites would dash by as numerous Meadow Browns would erupt with each footfall as well as the occasional Smessex buzzing off in a wide arc skimming the grass tops. The only butterfly here that was up high was another Peacock feeding on the small clump of Bramble near the same gate that was causing such a problem amongst the Specklies.
068 - Copy-001.JPG
Up by the stile the Brambles held a Red Admiral, 2 Peacocks and there were Hedge Browns all over it. After several successive visits and no sighting of a Chalk Hill I was tempted to stay by the Brambles but I braved more disappointment and headed up the side of the Down anyway. I was about half way up when something ghostly blue passed by in front of my eyes and carried on down the side of the Down. I scurried after it sticking to the narrow paths and tracks until it finally settled. My first Chalk Hill of 2014 finally.
093 - Copy-001.JPG
104 - Copy-001.JPG
107 - Copy-001.JPG
As I was savouring the moment I got another surprise, an aged DGF whizzed past me my first from this site but it didn’t stop for a shot so I said goodbye to the Chalk Hill and headed back down the
Down stopping just long enough to marvel at the Whites all clustering around a small patch of flowers near the Bramble bush. In a moment there was a Brimstone, Small White and 2 Large Whites all feeding from the same few flowers.
111 - Copy-001.JPG
Finally I had my Chalk Hill and it was from The Devenish so perseverance finally paid off, as did the sweat, blood and cursing!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Godshill 20-07-2014

Having ticked off Chalk Hills on Friday I realised that I really only had four more species that I could realistically see this year. So on Sunday morning I had a decision to make. Wood Whites were too far, Brown Hairstreaks need another week or three before they’ll be around in good numbers and Silver Spots are only just out and I only had 2 1’2 hours to play with so I went for Graylings at Godshill.

After a great drive with some Leafhound cranked up 8) I pulled into the car park and raced across the Cricket pitch. Having reached top of the hill there was a real contrast in habitats; behind me Oak trees reached to the sky over the road and there was the lush, short turf of the cricket green yet before me lay the desolate waste of heath land and bogs, bare patches exposed where the wind whipped up the sand and the sun baked the earth, spiky and scratchy dry plants clung on bitterly – brill I couldn’t wait! I cast around for Grayling (the butterfly not the fish – unfortunate use of metaphor) and saw two straight out the bag along with a Small Tort (that’s one at every site bar Slop Bog).
144 - Copy-001.JPG
147 - Copy-001.JPG
Target reached I carried on down the hill towards the triangle hotspot where I was hoping to find plenty more. I saw a couple more and soon got my eye in so I was able to distinguish between them and the false Grayling, the Meadow Brown. The later seems more ‘flappy’ flying more round the houses with a slower flight. Also they seem slightly smaller and contrast between the orange and dark brown can just be made out. The Grayling is more direct at times, less round the houses, jinking and much stronger. It appears larger, appears almost grey and has a interesting flight behaviour of gliding with wings held in a shallow V. The area just over the stream held a few more as well as a male Silver Stud and a Peacock.
173 - Copy-001.JPG
197 - Copy-001.JPG
On the point of the triangle I started up the path and there was another Peacock, a Large Skipper and 3 Small Heaths. I hung around this spot for most of the time and saw 4 G in one view so there were definitely more to be found. After a while I’d notched up another couple of Small Heaths, numerous Hedge and Meadow Browns including one lovely blonde MB and a female Silver Stud. But mainly I was just enjoyed the Grayling. They really are entertaining butterflies and I spent almost an a good 40 minutes with them, stalking them and watching them tilt their wings etc. What was really good fun was watching them settle and then seeing them disappear in front of my eyes only for them to erupt from my feet 15 cm away from where I was sure they’d landed (do they crawl through the heather?).
212 - Copy-001.JPG
224 - Copy-001.JPG
234 - Copy-001.JPG
262 - Copy-001.JPG
322 - Copy-001.JPG
334 - Copy-001.JPG
It seems that after saving my trousers from the washing machine for Purple Emperors the Grayling’s appreciated my efforts as at least two Grayling showed interest in them and I was ‘trousered’ by two different individuals.
346 - Copy-001.JPG
Eventually I had to head back but I stopped here and there on the way. There was another Silver Stud Blue (female) near the stream along with an Emperor Dragonfly flying like a freelance fiend. Half way up the hill I stopped again this time for a male Silver Stud, another 3 different Grayling, a male Brimstone, fresher Small Tortoiseshell and a lovely fresh Small Copper. They all turned up one after the other and I’d watch one, it would fly out of view or have its photo taken and just as I’d turn to leave the next butterfly would arrive, land or pop up in view.
359 - Copy-001.JPG
390 - Copy-001.JPG
My final shots of the day were of a Grayling which came to see me off showing up nicely on the white stones just before the cricket pitch. It rested there almost saying ‘please take my photo’. And so ended an excellent adventure, most triumphant! :D
401 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Entertaining report Wurzel and smashing shot of the in flight dragon fly :mrgreen:

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

That Silver-stud female is particularly nice, and a little late as well.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Grayling pictures, Wurzel and good to find a Silver-studded Blue too - long vanished from near here now till next year. Is it my imagination but do Meadow Browns on Grayling sites do their best to imitate their bigger relatives? Quite different to how they behave in the fields and hedgerows.

By the way, is that spot Godshill near Fordingbridge? That's the only one I could find on the map, very close to a spot rejoicing in the delightful name of Sandy Balls... :shock:

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some nice Graylings and Silver-studded Blue Wurzel but my favourite is that in-flight Emperor Dragonfly :mrgreen: :D . I tried for something similar the other day but your shot puts my attempts to shame.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Pauline :D I was pretty chuffed with that one myself :D
Cheers Bob :D The Silver Studs do last a fair old while at Godshill and I've seen them overlap with Grayling the last couple of years there now.
Cheers Dave :D Godshill is a late site for Silver Studs and it is near the wonderfully named Sandy Balls campsite - I used to wind people up telling them that it was a naturist camp site and so was aptly named as that's what you'd end up with... :wink: Many, many people fell for it :lol:
Cheers Neil :D That was taken using Sports Mode and also making sure I had plenty of room on my memory card :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Great shot of the Emporer Draogonfly Wurzel. I've have been trying to get some shots of dragonflies in my local park. There are literally dozens of them, but do you think they will come below 7ft for the butterfly paparazzi?

Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Kev :D They are a bu$$er to capture with a camera - my shots always come down to luck in the end :roll:

21-07-2014 The Devenish

I was going to be so busy at work today that I didn’t get a chance to stop off at Larkhill. So between preparing assessments, timetables and changes to the curriculum I did manage to nip out to admire a female Large White and take a few shots.
008 - Copy-001.JPG
Due to my lack of butterflying during the morning I was raring to go come the afternoon. I had a free last lesson so by 3:29 the car was packed and I was sitting in the staffroom waiting for the hands to tick to 3:30. When it did it was like the start of an old fashioned grand prix as I ran to me car, jumped into the seat and tore off with Reef blaring out today. The journey was again pretty good and so I arrived in good time, my Zen relaxation techniques certainly seem to be paying off and I healed my body with my mind. The car park was butterfly busy with a Small White, Comma and Peacock all fluttering round and two Speckled Woods taking up guard positions by the ‘tunnel’ from the car park to the Meadow. Once in the Meadow there were a couple of Skippers still hanging on in there and a Peacock feeding amongst the many, many Meadow Browns. There were also several Whites flitting forward and backward around the margins of the woods including a female Brimstone. The Bramble itself was alive with butterflies again numbering 7 Hedge Browns, 6 Meadow Browns, 3 Peacocks, 2 Ringlets and a Red Admiral – but it was too early in the year for a Partridge in there somewhere :wink:
015 - Copy-001.JPG
On the way up the Down some Marbled Whites glided by traversing the Down despite looking tatty their flying skills were still first rate as they nipped in amongst the darker, more bumbling Meadow and Hedge Browns. Half way up and a third of the way across the Down I found 2 male Chalk Hills. One would take off and then upset the other so I had the devils own time trying to follow them although perseverance did eventually pay off and I got a few nice open wing shots. As I made my was back towards the main path and the stairs cut into the side of the Down I found a pair in cop which was a nice bonus.
024 - Copy-001.JPG
026 - Copy-001.JPG
051 - Copy-001.JPG
065 - Copy-001.JPG
Back at the Bramble the single Peacock had increased to 4 and eventually three occupied the same flower head. The Brambles also had an odd looking biscuit coloured butterfly flitting about and taking nectar here and there. It turned out to be a discoloured Meadow Brown which had white patches on its hind wings. I don’t know whether this was pathological or a genetic aberrant?
074 - Copy-001.JPG
080 - Copy-001.JPG
So from one there came four; it’s great to see the numbers of Chalk Hills building at this great little site.
Have a goodun

CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Wurzel,

The dragonfly picture is one of your best ever! Amazing picture.

Glad to see 'Reef' getting a mention: 'Oh place your ha aa aands........... on my so oo ooul!'

To date the DGF's have eluded my mobile although I have seen a few zipping past me like the perfect paper airplane. :evil:

Hope you catch up with a clouded yellow and painted lady; I am off to Cornwall and hoping to catch up with both.

Flutter on!

CJB

Return to “Personal Diaries”