Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Wurzel

Post by millerd »

That really is a great mixture of species all at once, Wurzel - a Silver-spot as well as a male Brown Hairstreak! :) Not to mention a Holly Blue as well. :wink: I haven't been to Shipton for a while - I need to rectify that next year I think.

Dave

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Philzoid :D The Whisperer accolades must rally go to Dave Miller :wink: Definitely wait til you're on your own else you'll look a bit strange(er) :wink: :lol:
Cheers Goldie :D Me neither, I'm counting down the days even though this season is still just about going. :D
Cheers Neil :D I'm a few species down this year compared to last as well, must try harder next year :shock: :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D The range of species at Shipton is mighty fine - and just up the road is a good site for Walls, Adonis and Chalkhills as well - I can let you have the grid references at the Social :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger Part 2

Having found my own Brostreak and my second of the day I headed back to the start of the hedge to start looking in earnest again. The next thing to catch my eye wasn’t another Brostreak although that would have fitted the narrative better it was actually a pair of Small Whites. They were busy making sure there were some future Small Whites and as they haven’t had a brilliant year more power to their elbow. I mooched along the Hedge some more and reverted to the ‘rapid spin’ technique and again it came up trumps as there was another Brostreak, another male which was even more tired and battle scarred than the first. It was also having some difficulty in coiling up its proboscis. Nice though these males were what I was really hoping for was female as she’d probably be in finer fettle plus I was starting to cut it fine for time as the golden hours between 11 and 3 were slipping away.
DSC_0283 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0294 - Copy.JPG
A few moments later it happened. There slightly further into the Brambles was a small, orangey leaf looking thing that wasn’t actually an orangey leaf. As the sun came out from behind a cloud the butterfly opened her wings and there was the gorgeous orange flash against the chocolate background, she was almost good enough to eat. I spent a little while with her as she pootled about taking nectar here and there, attempting the briefest of basks and generally teasing me by never fully opening up. I didn’t mind though to be honest as watching her go about her business was just as rewarding as seeing her wings akimbo posed ‘a la field guide’.
DSC_0299 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0305 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0320 - Copy.JPG
Not wanting to hassle her to her detriment I made my way back along the Hedge to the starting point to see if I could relocate any of the males and also to see if the Small Whites were still at it? I could see that they were but I was momentarily distracted as a female Brostreak appeared to take off from the grass. “Was this a new ploy to catch out the humble butterflier?” I wondered to myself but then a Meadow Brown dove in and started harassing her. She retreated into the Hedge into a space too small for the slightly larger Meadow Brown and I watched bemused – what had caused such an interaction between species? I knelt down and the Brostreak made her way back out and flew to a spindly looking whipping of Blackthorn and made an attempt to lay before flying further into the hedge and beyond the reach of my lens.
DSC_0332 - Copy.JPG
I caught up again with the Small White couple and then made one final pass along the Hedge and back towards the car. I managed to relocate my male number 1 on the way and then the Brostreak action ceased. All this happened over a thirty minute time frame and then there were none again, they melted away into the Hedge like little hedge nymphs. I was aware, and have mentioned the golden hours but today it seemed like there was the platinum half hour. And so it was back to the more usual ‘after Brostreak’ fare and my topsy-turvy trip was reverting to normal. The Browns and Brimstones amongst the odd white were nice but eh real highlight were the Holly Blues which were busy putting on a show. One landed near to me and I thought “well why not?” and started whispering “Open up, open up, come on my lovely open up” And she did!
DSC_0341 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0347 - Copy.JPG
I made my way back to the car mightily chuffed with the haul from the day…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

What a fantastic half an hour you had Wurzel :D One of those moments to reflect on through the Winter, :D I love the fact you could have eaton the BHS has well :lol: Goldie :D

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Nice Report Wurzel :) . It reminds me of our time there in 2015 (Brostreaks and Holly Blue) though the mating pair on that occasion were Meadow Brown.
The photo of the pair of Small White is fabulous. The position of their wings overlapping rather than interlocking give the image a pleasing symmetry 8) .

Phil

trevor

Post by trevor »

A great report from Shipton, Wurzel. Every time I pass the turning off the A303 i'm reminded
that it is a site I have yet to visit. Mind you the Brownies were very well behaved in Sussex this year.
Great mating Whites and Holly Blue.

Trevor.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A worthwhile day out at Shipton there Wurzel and a nice finish with that Holly Blue, you must have had a bit of 'essence of Millerd' about you :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Hairstreaks, Wurzel, and what a splendid Holly Blue to finish with. You must have said all the right things... :wink: :) (Incidentally, I have no idea what Bugboy means... :shock: )

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Wow, what a perfect end to your day Wurzel, lovely stuff.
(I'm making a note of your techniques!)

Cheers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D It'll certainly warm the cockles (along with a nice Scotch and the woodburner on full 'roar' :wink: ) :D
Cheers Philzoid :D I was chuffed with the mating shot, but my knees weren't :shock: better get on the Cod Liver Oil before next season :roll: :wink: The site still hasn't gotten back to it's full best but it was better than last year so fingers crossed.
Cheers Trevor :D It's definitely worth a visit when you're over this way :D
Cheers Bugboy :D I have been picking up a few tips on 'butterfly whispering' from the Master :wink:
Cheers Dave :D I'm sure Bugboy wasn't referring to 'Eau d'Dave' :wink: :lol:
Cheers Andrew :D I think I might write a book of 'Top Tips for a Butterfly nut' :wink: I also have some useful ways for sneaking in some extra butterflying without the better half noticing, sshhhhh :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I'm missing your November Calendar :lol: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As requested Goldie :wink: , and with 20 minutes to spare before being late...

November 2017
11 Nov.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Now it feels like November Wurzel :lol: Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Glad to have been of service Goldie :wink: :lol: Better start work on next years version soon :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 17-08-2917

Both the girls were at their Nanny’s spending time with their Australian cousin, my work was up to date, the house was painted to within an inch of its life and all the chores had been done…what else was there to do but grab my camera and head over to Martin Down. On the way I planned ahead – I was going to go to the main car park off the Blandford Road and then walk Bokerley to the hotspot and back. But somehow I found myself at the Sillen’s Lane car park? Autopilot had taken over. Oh well I set out towards the hotspot regardless.

The stroll there was pretty uneventful in the most part with only the odd Common Blue or White bombing by. At the first fork in the track I headed right looking to make my way round the earth work rings and to come to the hotspot from the other side. I bore left and made my way along one side of the earthworks and the butterflies started appearing. Small Heaths, a Small Tort, Common Blues and Brown Argus. But unfortunately this area was really exposed to the strong breeze and all my shots were wind blurred. A real jewel of butterfly struggled into view and plopped down practically in front of me. It was as if the butterflying Gods had just granted me a favour because at that precise moment the wind dropped to barely a breath and the sun caught the electric blue of the wings to perfection.
DSC_1625 - Copy (2).JPG
I carried on round to the hotspot the wind bending my soft brimmed hat which is always a bad sign so I was hoping the Dyke would offer some protection from the strong breeze. As I ambled into the middle of the hotspot it certainly seemed to as there were butterflies everywhere. Amongst the odd Meadow Brown and Small Heath the odd Brimstone did a fly by. The Blues in particular were very well represented with 5 Lycaenids. So I settled down and just enjoyed them and every now and then I remembered to take a few photos as well. I was particularly pleased to see some Chalkhills here and though some were looking past their best others were in fine fettle.
DSC_1640 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1663 - Copy-001.JPG
DSC_1685 - Copy.JPG
I followed the Dyke on up the hill for a bit and this produced a bit more variety with 4 species of whites, an unusually marked Meadow Brown and a fly-by Small Tort but the Blues soon muscled back into prominence with Brown Argus looking like a good call for an aberrant (though I can’t remember the name – Snelleri?) as well as some more Chalkhills, Adonis looking resplendent and a pair of Common Blue in cop.
DSC_1699 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1706 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1715 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1732 - Copy-001.JPG
Time was running by and despite not locating the species I was hoping for, a Clouded Yellow, I made my way homewards. Off to Devon in a day or two I wonder what that will hold in store?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Lovely to still be in August...and seeing a really beautiful Adonis. This has made my day :D :D

Having just been out taking pictures of winter visitor birds with a sharp frost white on the ground I do prefer British Wurzel Time (BWT) to the GMT that seems to be all the rage around here. I'm looking forward to Devon in a day or two, I hope to see ice creams and scones and jam too. :D

I must update my diary too!

regards

Peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Adonis Wurzel, fantastic colour you've caught, it's on my list for next year :D Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Adonis, Wurzel, and the Chalkhills too. Martin Down is a great spot - I generally park off the main road as you mentioned and walk down. At the right time of year you can cross the road and see what's flying in the woods as well. :) Goodness knows how many species you can find in the two areas combined! :o

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Fantastic Blues Wurzel, sounds idyllic there.

Cheers

Return to “Personal Diaries”