Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Postby Wurzel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Cheers Phil :D I reckon the memory will last longer than the image :D

Blackpool Sands 24-08-2017

Today was apparently going to be the best day of the week weather wise; at least that’s what three Weather Apps and the BBC reckoned. So we loaded the cars and drove through the mist, cloud and eventually rain, to head to the beach.

After a few stops on the way and a ferry trip across the River Dart we were rolling along narrow country lanes closed in by tall hedges very reminiscent of those in Dorset (though not quite as good :wink: ). After sweeping down the hill there was an Agatha Christie scene laid out before us. Tall dark cliffs, bedecked with a thatch of green, the occasional Pine sticking out like an errant tousled hair, at their feet golden sediments rhythmically washed by the Azure sea. The sun came out at this exact moment lighting it to perfection.

We parked up, gathered our things and then made our way across the fine shingle with a Red Admiral bombing by to set up camp. Because of the action of the tide the beach ran in a series to steps and lining each were silver strands. As we walked down the he first ‘step’ the silver strand went from beautiful to grim as it was composed of masses of washed up Whitebait.
DSC_0581 - Copy.JPG

After a paddle and some time spent looking for sea glass and having a kick about we wandered back to the beachside restaurant for lunch (Vegan burgers – I couldn’t believe it!). While we waited I noticed that there were some moths clinging to the walls of the building. Two really stood out - black and white against the yellow paintwork, a possible pair of Black Arches. Next to one was a Crambus moth looking much bigger than I remember and I was also struck by the fantastic patterning.
DSC_0556 - Copy (2).JPG

DSC_0564 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0576 - Copy.JPG

The third species was much less noticeable and I missed it the first time that I scanned the walls. When I did clock it I put it down as a ‘Wave’ but now go for Mullein due to the coastal habitat.
DSC_0568 - Copy.JPG

The final one should have been the most obvious against another background but here was quite cryptically patterned. Only when it moved onto the green shrubbery did it finally stick out like a sore thumb. What a cracking looking species – a Canary Shouldered Thorn, looking more like a Muppet than a Moth.
DSC_0601 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0603 - Copy.JPG

After this we spent some more time rock-pooling, paddling etc. and so ended out final day out. When we got back the rain had closed in and so we stayed in and enjoyed a cracking curry. Home tomorrow…

Have a goodun
Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philzoid

Postby Philzoid » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Great reports Wurzel :D . Brought back some memories of a family holiday in Devon 2003, when we travelled by steam train from Buckfastleigh station to Dartmouth (pulled by a GWR 1400 class or Oliver to any Thomas the Tank Engine aficionados :wink: ). I remember going to the butterfly house too 8) .
Liked your moths from Blackpool Sands (Mullein Wave is a good find) :) . I think the crambid may be a nicely marked Agriphila tristella although the angle isn’t the best. Back then I remember seeing Hummingbird Hawkmoths at that beach. I think it was a good year for them in Devon.

BTW already said, but that Green veined White image is a beaut :) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:42 am

Cheers Philzoid :D More to follow on the butterfly house...I'm almost into September with my PD now so I'll have to find some more posts to get me through the winter :shock: :wink: It was a surprise to go to the beach and see so many moths particularly during the main part of the day - it felt a bit wrong - wrong time of day, wrong habitat - even though it was right :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Andrew555

Postby Andrew555 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 am

Wow beautiful moths Wurzel. :D Great finds.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Cheers Andrew :D Just being in the right place at the right time and just looking around; if they'd been any faster preparing the Vegan burgers then perhaps I mightn't have seen the Canary-shouldered Thorn? :? :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Postby Neil Freeman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Cracking selection of moths there Wurzel :D Black Arches is one I have yet to get in my garden although they are more common down south than around here and well done with the Mullein Wave :mrgreen:
Agriphila tristella for the micro is a good call by Philzoid. I had half a dozen different species of these crambid 'grass moths' in my garden this year and spent some time trying to ID them.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:22 am

Cheers Neil :D Those Crambids are the LBJs of the moth world :D

Packing the Car – Barrington Court – Homewards 25-08-2017

Our Devon sojourn had come to an end and the time had come to pack our things into the car for the return trip. I out my camera round my neck and started carrying bags and boots and boxes. True, lugging my camera about meant I’d have to make more trips but at least I wouldn’t have to worry about missing out on any butterflies. And it paid off despite the Red Admiral, Specklie and numerous Whites not landing. Instead I was treated to an assortment of Hedgies (the usual crowd?). There were at least 5 present but in between packing the next section of the car I’d focus on one individual so in the end I don’t think that I captured all on camera. All the ones I did manage shots of were excessa with one showing an extra ‘eye’ on the fore wing underside.
DSC_0617 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0623 - Copy.JPG

Once packed we said our goodbyes and set off. The journey to Exeter was really quick and we also made good time over the Blackdown Hills. Despite this there were some hangry rumblings from the back of the car so we went of piste to find somewhere for lunch. My wife flicked through the National Trust guide, we entered the appropriate postcode and there we were soon enough sitting under an Apple Tree and munching away at Barrington Court.

After lunch we took the tour, the house was really interesting but the gardens were stunning. On one Buddleia outside the formal gardens I counted 16 Small Tortoiseshells, 3 Red Admirals and a Peacock. We wandered through garden type after garden type; wildflower, nursery, veggie, formal, Rose etc. It was a joy to behold with each new section offering new scents and sights, structure and colour suddenly changing and so too the butterflies. At least that’s the way it seemed…The wildflower section held Red Admirals, the Lavender the Whites, in the veggie garden Large Whites and Brimstones and a Comma whilst the formal garden borders housed Small Tortoiseshells a plenty. It was a fantastic break from sitting and watching the white lines blur and the tarmac ahead…
DSC_0658 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0662 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0668 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0672 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0681 - Copy.JPG

So finally ended our Devon holiday. Looking back the only real surprises were that I saw the Silver-washed but didn’t see a Painted Lady. I was a funny time to visit really and the place we visited weren’t your typical butterfly haunts yet despite that they held typical butterflies.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Postby bugboy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Great shots Wurzel, those Torts in particular are making me yearn for spring already :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!

millerd

Postby millerd » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

I haven't been to Barrington Court for years, Wurzel. I do remember the gardens as being rather splendid, though, and particularly that my mother used to sneak cuttings from various plants... She always liked Small Tortoiseshells too and would have been delighted to see so many. Lovely shots.

Dave

Andrew555

Postby Andrew555 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Some lovely shots there Wurzel, and from your Devon holiday as a whole, thanks for sharing. :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Postby Wurzel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am

Cheers Dave :D It was a serendipitous stop-off indeed so much so that it might become a more regular visit :D
Cheers Andrew :D Finally caught up with that, and now on to the next multitude of posts I need to write :roll: :wink:
On that note...

Martin Down 26-08-2017

Having gotten back from our family holiday to Devon I thought we’d have a few days kicking our heels and settling back into our usual holiday routine. Bu that wasn’t the case and so on Saturday I was heading back towards Sixpenny Handley so that the girls could have a sleep over with their cousin. I left an hour early in order to make a stop-off at Martin Down on the way.. I was still hoping for a Clouded Yellow so once in the car park we followed Bokerley down towards the Butts as this is usually a good area for them.

We arrived at the Butts with no Cloudy and only a few Blues and Browns and the girls disappeared off to make ‘Musically’ videos or some such so I was free to take in the short turfed areas sheltered by the Butts. Since our return the weather had sorted itself out somewhat but there were still a few cloudy moments. The trick was to find your quarry and wait with it while it sat out the shade. Then when the sun reappeared click away to capture it in the best light before it became active again, just like I did at the start of the year with Orange-tips. I didn’t get the timing right all of the time but it meant that I could observe the difference in appearance that different lighting produced.
DSC_0691 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0716 - Copy.JPG

This species was the most numerous and not just because it was the most ‘noticeable’. I did see Common Blues, Brown Argus, Small Heaths, Meadow Browns and various Whites but the 2nd brood Adonis were the main attraction and I was finally able to do the females justice.
DSC_0732 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0740.JPG

Having flattened the battery on my iPod the calls of “Wurzel” from the girls weren’t that unexpected and I left the ladies to re-join the girls. We packed up and started back towards the car park though we didn’t get too far – only to the other side of the Butts before a few Brown Argus caught my eye. One was miniscule and as I leant in to take my shot I felt like Gulliver towering over a Lilliputian. I was checking my shots back when a beautiful blue Blue flew into view.
DSC_0755 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0767 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0769 - Copy.JPG

We were almost back at the car but with some time remaining before I needed to drop the girls off we walked round checking the little scallops in the scrub island next to the car park. A Small Copper landed and for a moment I held my breath and my heart was in my mouth…from the quick glance that I’d had it appeared to have white forewings…Nervously I took a second look. It was really tatty and the unfortunately the white looked like water damage or wear than it being a Schmidt…Oh well, after a few bad years for this species seeing Small Coppers of any hue is always a delight.
DSC_0798 - Copy.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Postby trevor » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 am

Those ' blue ' female Adonis Blue shots caused me to drool a little !.
Don't forget the Tilshead site next year, a superb Adonis site.

Go to the end of the Village, and by the filling station the A360 turns sharp right,
go straight on, after half a mile or so, on your right you will see several concrete
' car parks ' park in the last one. You will see the grassland beyond the hedge.

All the best,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”