David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: David M

Postby David M » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Friday 27th October - Saying farewell....

Took today off as it was forecast sunny, mild (15c) and wind free and that was precisely what greeted me when I arrived at Port Eynon on the south Gower coast at 1.20pm:

2PtEynon(1).jpg

The clocks go back on Sunday, which is something I always dread as it symbolises the onset of winter. So, I wanted one last chance to see a few late season butterflies before the dark evenings and the frosts arrive.

There weren't too many about to be honest. Three airborne Red Admirals were seen but the ivy clad walls at the rear of this site were bereft, surprisingly.

Only one butterfly settled long enough for me to get an image - this Small Tortoiseshell came down in the grassy dunes:

1ST(1).jpg

There was a surprise appearance by a Painted Lady as I was walking back to the car park. It was flying towards the sea so I don't know if it was heading south for the winter. In addition, I got another unexpected species when I saw a male Large White fluttering along the roadside hedgerows on my drive back. I'm sure I won't see another of those prior to next spring!

millerd

Postby millerd » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:34 pm

Nice to see a Small Tortoiseshell, David. :) They've long since disappeared from my patch.

Dave

bugboy

Postby bugboy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Like Dave, I've not seen a Small Tort for some time now. Hope your one finds somewhere to sleep soon, can't be long before the first frosts hit us.
Some addictions are good for the soul!

essexbuzzard

Postby essexbuzzard » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:30 pm

I echo that, I also dread the clocks going back, as it goes dark halfway through the afternoon! I don't think I've seen a tort since August, so well done!

Andrew555

Postby Andrew555 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:57 am

Agree with the sentiments here..
Clocks going back :(
Small Tortoiseshell :D

Goldie M

Postby Goldie M » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:36 pm

No Tortoiseshell for a few weeks now, It's great you got a shot of one. Goldie :D

David M

Postby David M » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Friday 24th November 2017 - Still some life in south Wales....

Decided I needed a bit of fresh sea air today after having been under the weather for a few days. With clear skies, no wind and 8c temperatures, I figured there might be a Red Admiral or two around Bracelet Bay on the Gower coast, especially since I had seen one at around 11am flying opposite my cottage which is further inland:

1BraceletBay(1).jpg

Sure enough, I'd only been around for about 10 minutes when this individual flew towards the flowering hebe which grows quite profusely at this sheltered spot:

1RA1(1).jpg

1RA2(1).jpg

The butterfly is on the right hand side of this expanse of hebe growth:

1RAoverview(1).jpg

I saw one (possibly two if the second was a different individual) at nearby Limeslade Bay where I had parked my car. Again, there is a large hebe growing in a south-facing, sheltered spot but this one was actually fluttering around the steep slope leading down to the shore.

With a cold week in store accompanied by northerly winds and night frosts, I doubt there will be any more butterflies for me in 2017. :(

trevor

Postby trevor » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:03 am

The Fat Lady has yet to sing in your area then, David.
A very uplifting report.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

millerd

Postby millerd » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Lovely to see them still flying, David. :) I think this is the point in the year where milder coastal spots become favoured over even my sheltered (and artificially-heated...) location.

Dave

Andrew555

Postby Andrew555 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Looks a lovely location David, and some spots as well. :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”