David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Chris Jackson

Re: David M

Post by Chris Jackson »

David M wrote:Saturday 14th April 2018 - Moving forward.... ... I was delighted to encounter 6 Peacocks, 5 Commas and 2 male Brimstones ...
You do realise, David, that where I live in the "magnificent" south of France (Bouches du Rhone), these 3 species are quite rare ?.
Consider yourself lucky. :D
Chris

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice Specklie David, I have a feeling this weeks mini heat wave will bring about a glut of emergents, happy hunting :)

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Yes I think we were all grateful for what we got on Saturday David, well done on your Peacock. :D

David M

Post by David M »

Friday 20th April 2018 - Seismic shift.....

Many years ago I studied at university in Toulouse. One thing I remember is how the season down there seemingly went straight from winter to summer with no real discernible spring in between.

It felt a little like that today, as after months of suppressed temperatures, suddenly I was catapulted into 22c with cloudless skies all day.

Castle Meadows in Abergavenny was looking full of promise:
1CastleMeadows(1).jpg
Small Tortoiseshells were certainly enjoying the conditions, with around two dozen seen:
1SmT(1).jpg
Peacocks were next commonest with at least 7 sighted. However, I was surprised by the relative lack of Orange Tips. I only saw 6, all males, and each one was flying furiously in the unseasonably hot conditions meaning images were out of the question.

I also saw my first Green Veined Whites of 2018, and was therefore in the strange position of having recorded Orange Tip and GVW for the year before either of the 'cabbage' whites!! Soon after though, I spotted a Small White and then in the orchard near the castle found this mating pair:
1SmWhpair(1).jpg
Another first for the year was Holly Blue, with a male descending briefly to terra firma to investigate the moist ground before heading back to the trees.

The only other species seen was a solitary Comma.

David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 21st April 2018 - Butterfly superhighway.....

Abergavenny was glorious again when I got up at 8am, and I was looking forward to spending more time at Castle Meadows in the afternoon before returning to Swansea.

However, it started to rain unexpectedly at midday, even though the BBC had the chance of precipitation at that time in Abergavenny as 0%!!!

The whole sky had gone grey, so I decided to head straight back instead in the hope that sunny skies would still be on offer back home. For most of the journey that didn't look likely, and I had to change my plan of visiting Kilvey Hill at the last moment in favour of Cwm Ivy on the north Gower coast as a layer of cloud seemed to have descended east of Llanelli.

Luckily, after driving through Gorseinon, I emerged back into the sunshine and I'm pleased to say I remained in it for the entirety of my three and a half hour stay at this lovely location.

There were butterflies galore in the specially cleared woodland section, which acted as a superhighway for all kinds of species as they zoomed through looking for nectar, warmth and mates - Speckled Woods were probably commonest with several dozen flying about, but Holly Blues were everywhere, perhaps defying expectations that they suffer population crashes immediately after a particularly good year (which 2017 undoubtedly was).

It's hard to put an accurate figure on the numbers I saw as I largely stayed in the one area but even conservatively there would have been 30+. Several came down to nectar from the blackthorn blossom, such as this male:
1HollyBluemale(1).jpg
Numerous Brimstones and Orange Tips flew by, although unlike last year the male OTs seemed reluctant to settle on the blackthorn, with only this individual alighting for any length of time:
1OTmale(1).jpg
Female OTs, on the other hand, were much more obliging:
1OTfem(1).jpg
Green Veined Whites were almost constant companions:
1GVW(1).jpg
I also saw my first Large White of 2018, but could only 'capture' him in flight:
1LgeWh(1).jpg
Both Red Admiral and Painted Lady turned up too. Sadly, the latter flew strongly by and was not seen again, but the Admiral, after I had initially disturbed it some while earlier, was tempted back and posed for a short while on young nettle growth:
1RedAdm(1).jpg
I don't make a habit of remaining on any site till gone 5.30pm but I was mindful to ponder when I would next be able to bask in 22c heat in this part of the world, and in truth that might not happen all summer!! So, a very pleasant afternoon and easily the best 'stats' of the year thus far:

Speckled Wood 30-50
Holly Blue 25-35
Orange Tip 20-30
Brimstone 10-20
Green Veined White 4
Small White 2
Peacock 2
Large White 1
Red Admiral 1
Painted Lady 1

millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a very respectable haul for the day, David - good to see a Painted Lady in amongst them too! You're right - there have been whole summers in the past without such high temperatures or such a good spell of weather. It's been exceptional. :)

Dave

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very nice indeed David, looks like a great spot. :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, I went to my local CP Hall-Lee-Brook and we saw one Butterfly a Peacock, this was after rain on Saturday Morning and to my amazement we never saw another Butterfly, this was after the lovely weather we'd had the days before, so your haul of all those Butterflies deservers a green :D :mrgreen: Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the comments, all.

Saturday 28th April 2018 – Cool but bright….

A pleasant surprise in store today – an incorrect weather forecast, only of the right kind! A clear early morning soon gave way to predicted cloud but the north of the Gower appeared bathed in sunlight so I took another trip to Cwm Ivy to indulge myself with Holly Blues, Speckled Woods and Orange Tips.

The blackthorn blossom looks delightful at the moment, but give it a week and nearly all of it will be gone:
1CwmIvy(1).jpg
Once again there were dozens and dozens of Speckled Woods. I was almost tripping over them in the 2 hours or so I was there. Holly Blues were again numerous too. They seem to fly around their master tree and do battle with one another whilst every so often coming to the blackthorn to take nectar before the whole charade repeats itself! This male basked for a little while with wings open:
1HollyBlue(1).jpg
Orange Tips were not quite as hyperactive as last weekend, although the 10 degree difference in temperature will have dictated that no doubt. I finally managed to get some images of them whilst settled:
1OT1(1).jpg
1OTuns(1).jpg
1OT3(1).jpg
Other species seen were Peacock, Brimstone, Green Veined White & Red Admiral, although the lack of Whites generally is starting to give me concerns. Hopefully numbers will pick up soon.

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Lucky devil. It's like winter here in Hampshire. :D

Ernie F
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

ernie f wrote:Lucky devil. It's like winter here in Hampshire. :D
(and in London) What he said!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Glad the weather was with you David! Great shots. :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great to see Orange Tips isn't it Dave, lovely shots to. Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 5th May 2018 - What a delight.....

Today was a simply beautiful day. Not just because the sun shone and temperatures rose, but also because it was a reminder of how wonderful this country can be at this time of year.

Driving along the narrow lanes of the Gower this morning was as uplifting as it can be. The hedgerows were simply stunning - the primroses are still out but they are now being joined by bluebells, campion and all the other spectacular flowers that can be expected in May.

I made for Welshmoor in near perfect conditions to look for my first Green Hairstreaks of the year. This is the field margin where they are most reliably found (Marsh Fritillaries are common here too later in the season):
1Welshmoor(1).jpg
I'm pleased to say I found three, and within a few days I'm sure there will be dozens flying around this site, which is still quite boggy after all the rain lately:
1GH1(1).jpg
1GH2(1).jpg
Several other butterflies were seen, including a surprise Small Tortoiseshell. However, the only ones to make me reach for the camera were these two mating Green Veined Whites. I disturbed them as I was following the first Green Hairstreak, and noted that it was the male who carried the female:
1GVW1(1).jpg
I walked further down the shrub line, but when I returned 20 minutes later they were still there in the same place:
1GVWpair2(1).jpg
I then drove on down to Whiteford Burrows on the coast, where the sea breeze was most welcome (for a change). The Holly Blue show in the cleared section seems to be over now, but there were still many dozens of Speckled Woods, with Orange Tips whizzing by regularly too.

I had to head back by 2.15pm, but for once safe in the knowledge that the next two days are set fair as well, meaning that there is the rare opportunity to take time over things without rushing around before the next Atlantic weather front arrives!!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Wow, stunning Green-Hairstreak photos :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

trevor

Post by trevor »

You've captured that turquoise hue on those Green Hairstreaks perfectly, David.

Glad Spring has caught up with you.
Trevor.

millerd

Post by millerd »

That sounds like a great part of the world, David. To me (used to seeing them on chalk hillsides) that doesn't look a bit like Marsh Fritillary territory. Lovely Green Hairstreaks - gloriously green against the yellow gorse.

I've noticed before that the male is generally the one that takes charge and flies with mating White butterflies.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, all.

Sunday 6th May 2018 - Busy morning....

I wanted to get my visits out of the way early to fit in some domestic and work tasks as taking three whole days out to indulge myself with butterflies is rather too decadent, especially with a trip to France a mere fortnight away!

So, off I drove at 8.10am in the sea mist from Swansea to the Merthyr Mawr site near Porthcawl. Thankfully, the mist cleared beyond Port Talbot which meant I could get in and out of this site within an hour before the day trippers arrived!

Weather conditions were quite strange. Looking inland skies were largely clear:
1MerthyrMawraway(1).jpg
However, by contrast, the sea mist towards the coast was dangerously near:
1MerthyrMawrtowards(1).jpg
Thankfully, I managed to find 5 Grizzled Skippers within 45 minutes:
1Grizz1(1).jpg
1Grizz2(1).jpg
I didn't see a single other butterfly on the site; it was only when I returned to my car that I disturbed an Orange Tip resting on garlic mustard.

I stopped off at Crymlyn Burrows on the Swansea coast on the way back, but the mist was still lurking and took nearly an hour to clear properly. Again, few butterflies were seen, but I did stumble across my first Small Copper of 2018, looking as though he'd had a run in with something given the torn state of his left wing:
1SmCopper(1).jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That last Grizzled Skipper image is lovely David but I am much more envious of your mating GVW - something I have yet to see :mrgreen:

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

You're really up and running now, David, those Green Hairstreaks and Grizzled Skippers are butterflies I am yet to find.

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”