Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Fritillaries for the Future – Project Update: Restructuring Rowland Wood

A key aspect of the Fritillaries for the Future project has been guiding the management of the BC reserves in Sussex, with the aim of creating and maintaining suitable habitat for the re-introduced population of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary and, looking ahead (given the necessary consents), the Pearl-bordered Fritillary. Last winter we focused all of our efforts on Park Corner Heath, clearing a huge amount of scrub and reinstating a much more aggressive Bracken management regime.

This year we have turned our attention to Rowland Wood, which, given its size, has required the services of a contractor (Ian Hampshire), to take care of the heavier forestry operations. We are very grateful to BC Reserves Officer Jayne Chapman for setting up this contract at short notice. Ian’s work, which has fundamentally restructured Rowland Wood, has been conducted to the highest possible specifications, in an environmentally sensitive manner. We are delighted with the results.

The much wider and extensive ride system is now in a condition which will facilitate an ongoing programme of management by machinery, ensuring that top quality habitat for fritillaries and other species can be maintained more easily. This work also allows us to meet our obligations to the Countryside Stewardship grant system, which will provide financial support in the future. However, the considerable upfront costs of this restructuring work have been met by the BC Sussex Branch; I can’t imagine a better use of Branch funds.

This does not mean that we will be become less reliant upon the work of volunteers; far from it. Some areas are too wet and ecologically sensitive to drive heavy machinery over, so it is vital that we manage these by hand. Volunteers will also provide the means of fine-tuning the habitat management work; it is often the attention given to small areas which creates the perfect breeding conditions for the more fussy species.

Examples

The first image shows widening work along a wet ride which we know is highly suitable for the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, but which had become choked with Bramble, sallow and saplings. We are very fortunate to have hosted several visits by the Brighton Conservation Volunteers, who have done a fantastic job of clearing this area with scythes, loppers, rakes and saws, while I’ve put my Fritillaries for the Future training with the chainsaw to good use. Just around the corner, in the ride known as ‘Dead Man’s Gulch’, BC Sussex volunteers have been performing similar work, and are creating an open, boggy area just below the lake; again, very suitable for the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (1).jpg
The second image shows a new ride of 30 metres width, running SW-NE in the north-western part of the reserve. Although the surface is currently dry (due to the carpet of mulchings), it is hoped that this will soon become damp, with standing water, rushes and, of course, violets. Ian has expertly crafted some cross-ditches (image three), which should provide perfect egg-laying sites for the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. The fourth image shows the view from the northern end of this ride, towards a conifer clearfell, the western part of which has been de-stumped and will be maintained as a wide ride in the future. I’m hopeful that this area might be used by Nightjar in years to come.
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (2).jpg
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (3).jpg
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (4).jpg
The fifth and sixth images show how Ian’s machines have carefully avoided the original ride surfaces, so as to reduce, as far as possible, any damage to the existing fauna and flora. The adjacent strips have been mulched, to remove old tree stumps and lying debris, so that tractor-drawn mowers can maintain these areas on a rotational basis.
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (5).jpg
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (6).jpg
The seventh image shows existing and newly created bunds in the higher, drier, central-east part of Rowland Wood. This area is more suitable for species such as Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Grizzled Skipper, which will hopefully breed on the south-facing slopes of these features. We know, from old records, that the Pearl-bordered Fritillary favoured this part of Rowland Wood in the late 1990s. Image number eight shows how, wherever possible, Ian has sealed the new ride surfaces with clay. This will provide a tougher surface and hopefully retain patches of bare ground and sparse vegetation, suitable for warmth-loving species.
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (7).jpg
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (8).jpg
The penultimate image shows the greatly widened ride which best connects Park Corner Heath with Rowland Wood, before running along the western edge of the lake. With just the single line of Beech trees along the parish boundary path to navigate through, this should ensure that there is some mixing of the butterfly populations between the two reserves.
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (9).jpg
Ian’s cut & collect machine has cleared some rides of their excessively dense Bramble growth and, more importantly, has close-cut the densely vegetated part of the 'rush meadow'. This will open up its structure and hopefully increase floral diversity, to create the much more favourable conditions seen in the northern part of the meadow, where the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary is already breeding.
FFTF Rowland Wood works 1.12.17 (10).jpg
We will shortly announce the re-opening of the Rowland Wood reserve, but until Ian Hampshire has finished his work, please continue to observe all exclusion zones and warning signs and barriers.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wow, that sure is impressive stuff Neil. The cost for all that work must have been considerable. Bus, so long as the branch can afford it, I can think of nowhere the money would be better spent. I hope it continues to be successful, as , after all the hard work down there, it is richly deserved, I’m sure we would all agree.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Agreed, fantastic work Neil and all involved.

David M

Post by David M »

Many thanks for the detailed and comprehensive report, Neil.

Your words and images translate the work on the ground exceedingly well and I can only wish I were there to lend a hand so that this project can achieve its stated aim - to encourage the permanent colonisation of this tract of land by the delectable Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary.

How I wish such initiatives were commonplace throughout the UK. If they were, then I'm sure nature would benefit....and not just the butterflies.

It's high time for government to consider a nationwide 'corridor' for wildlife. It can't be too difficult to achieve. After all, we're probably only talking about a minuscule number of acres in the grand scheme of things.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. There'll be another update soon, as volunteer work parties are planned for 22, 27 and 28 December.
It will take a year to settle into its new skin, but by 2019 we should have something exceptionally good here.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Egg Hunt

On Saturday (16 December) I spent the day counting Brown Hairstreak eggs on the Knepp Wildland, as part of the annual butterfly monitoring programme. Many will be aware that this species enjoyed a spectacular population explosion there in the summer, with an unprecedented number of adult Brown Hairstreaks being recorded. Unsurprisingly, this was reflected in the egg count, with the eggs-per-hour find rate rising from the 2012-2016 average of 1.8 (which is a low figure for West Sussex) to 30.6; an increase of 1600%. I also found two pairs of Blue-bordered Carpet moth eggs on the Blackthorn.
BC BH egg pair, Knepp 16.12.17.jpg
Brown Hairstreak
BC Blue-bordered Carpet eggs, Knepp 16.12.17.JPG
Blue-bordered Carpet

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Neil Hulme wrote:Fritillaries for the Future – Project Update: Restructuring Rowland Wood
At first glance, it looked like clearance for a new road :) Don't let the Council see it; it might give them ideas :twisted:

Mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mike. It's a dual carriageway for fritillaries. :D
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Wall Of Death

Today (18 December) was spent in the company of South Downs National Park Authority Rangers Bekah, Chloe, Tom, Matt and Simon, as we worked clearing scrub from the perilously steep walls of the Steyning Bostal chalkpit, which is part of the Steyning Downland Scheme area. With recent heavy scrub control performed by the legendary Flailbot, and grazing with hardy breeds of sheep, this site could become very good in the future. Brown Hairstreak eggs were remarkably easy to find.
SDNPA work party, Steyning Round Hill 18.12.17 (1).jpg
SDNPA work party, Steyning Round Hill 18.12.17 (2).jpg
SDNPA work party, Steyning Round Hill 18.12.17 (3).jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

If I have correctly identified the pit from OS and Google Earth, it would seem that the northern section of the pit is littered with [presumably] abandoned buildings and/or vehicles. How do you deal with these? Or don't you?

And once the pit is opened up, how do you prevent it becoming a playground for all and sundry including eg off-road motor bikes?

Seems to be an excellent project and I hope you can minimise subsequent misuse.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack

The very deep and more recently quarried pit you are looking at is at TQ168105. We're working in an older pit to the immediate south, at TQ168103. The only problems here are sporadic fly-tipping and (before we cut much of the scrub down) 'dogging detritus'; it's a much nicer place now. :D

BWs, Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I'd missed that other pit. There seems to be an even smaller one just to the southwest.

At least this proves that I do look at your writings/work.

See you early May I hope.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Happy Christmas!

Season's greetings to you all.

Everything seems to be pointing towards a very good butterfly season next year ... fingers crossed.

Best Wishes, Neil
Xmas Card 2017.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Coppicing At Christmas

On Friday (22 December) we started cutting a block of birch coppice on Rowland Wood, which, once finished, will complete all the work we need to do on the Sussex reserves before year-end. We'll be back here again on 27 and 28 December, so an ideal opportunity to come along and work off some of that festive flab! At various points in the day I was joined by Jonathan, Trevor, Doug, Theresa, Gary and Steve; thanks to you all.
FFTF Rowland Wood work party 22.12.17.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

joined by Jonathan, Trevor, Doug, Theresa, Gary and Steve
Surely not THAT Theresa? I can't imagine Theresa M doing anything so useful.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

You really are putting the hard hours in this year, Neil. I hope all your labours bear fruit come the flight seaon next year (and beyond).

Best wishes for Christmas and good luck in 2018.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

No, Jack. This Theresa won a BC Outstanding Volunteer Award this year, for her assistance in returning SPBF to Sussex :D. The other Theresa has yet to be nominated.

Thanks, David. I'm confident that the fritillaries will show their appreciation of all that's been done by the many people who've given so generously of their time. Happy New Year to you.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

End-year BC Bash

The work party held at the BC Rowland Wood reserve on 28 December was blessed with very different weather conditions to those suffered the previous day, with wall-to-wall sunshine. It was great to see such a strong turn-out, including a few new faces. A huge amount of work was performed in two areas, including the new birch coppice coupe.

The next work party here will be held on Sunday 14 January, although I'll be working elsewhere with the South Downs Volunteer Rangers. Thanks to everyone who came along: Theresa Turner, Anita Cundall, Francis and Tim Squire, Graeme Rolf, Keith Alexander, Gary Norman, Trevor Rapley, Helen, Tom and Chris Corrigan.
FFTF Rowland Wood work party 28.12.17 (1).jpg
FFTF Rowland Wood work party 28.12.17 (3).jpg
FFTF Rowland Wood work party 28.12.17 (2).jpg
FFTF Rowland Wood work party 28.12.17 (4).jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Wildlife Art

Although not related to butterflies, anyone with an interest in the natural world may find this of interest.

My older brother, Mark, who lives in Antwerp, is a wildlife and landscape artist. He has illustrated a number of bird books and been responsible for producing a wide range of interpretation materials for various establishments, including museums. If you ever visit one of the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust centres you'll see his work on all the identification boards.

He has recently started showing some of his work on Instagram. I am, of course, biased, but I think it's well worth a look.
https://www.instagram.com/mark_hulme_artist/

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some cracking images there Neil - especially the geese coming in to land :D Happy New Year!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”